寄托币
注册时间
2003-11-26
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2004-3-4 20:18:56 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Issue238 "Conformity almost always leads to a deadening of individual creativity and energy.

After careful and objective analysis about the issue whether conformity will result in the deadening of individual creativity and energy, I find my view principally consistent with the author's. In my opinion, conformity usually serves as an obstruction for people's creative and critical thinking; we should make every effort not to be constricted by our conformity if we want to be original. In the following discussion, I will show my evidence to substantiate my view.

In the first place, conformity sometimes does impair individual creativity and energy, because it keeps people away from being original and critical. It is common that people tend to have a sloth to detect the defect in their surrounding and thus will naturally be accustomed to what they have been told. We need look no further than the Aristotle's theory about falling objects to see the truth of my view. In the past, the outstanding Greek scholar Aristotle alleged that objects fall at speed proportional to their weight. His allegation was widely considered as absolute truth for Aristotle’s authoritativeness, and during the following 2000 years, people still conform to the theory and even nobody once suspected it. We might feel pitiful that in 2000 years, which is so long a period, we have been always sticked to a wrong idea and that we have missed such a long time which should have brought us even more scientific advancement.   

In the second place, almost every significant discovery in our history has once been vigorously opposed by a certain number of people for their nature of conformity and lack of critical thinking. People's inveteracy of conformity in long-entrenched ideas always precludes our penchant to accept new ideas. When a theory is advanced, especially those contradicting the pervasive idea in the society, it will incur opposition and mockery from all over the society, or even worse, persecution for the person who advances it. As we all know, for example, Bruno was burned at stake for his public support for the heliocentric theory; and when Darwin present his theory of evolution and his work: Origin of Species, he provoked the guarder of religion and began his debate with them to defend his theory, which lasted for twenty years. We might wonder why it cost so much to introduce a correct idea into our society? Here I want to say, our conformity is the main resistance.

In the final analysis, a retrospect in our history tell us what we seem absolutely right may turn out to be wrong in the future and vice versa; and admonish us that we should not habitually conform to a certain idea just because the majority have accepted it. We once considered democracy, Christianity, voting right for women and civil right for the people of color as the idea of the "dangerous" minority; however, all of the idea has been realized in today's society. Therefore, we must not hold any idea as absolutely right of wrong, and need to be critical to all the ideas and thus be ready to even abandon them when enough evidence has been shown, instead of obstinately conforming to them.   

To sum up, I consent to the author with little reservation. Through the discussion mentioned above, we can easily reach the conclusion that our conformity always stand in the way of our struggle to be original and our pursuit of the truth, we should learn to get rid of our conformity to the idea we currently accept, that is, to be critical about it and to be always ready to accept a new idea.

不好意思,刚才不小心安乐一下回车,还没些标题就发了一篇,呵呵!
It's easy to know something about everything, but difficult to know everything about anything.
MSN:cale19810320@hotmail.com
天大研三,申请06fall,期望能和大家多交流:)
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-10-3
精华
帖子

Capricorn摩羯座 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2004-3-4 21:07:39 |只看该作者
After careful and objective analysis about the issue whether conformity will result in the deadening of individual creativity and energy, I find my view principally consistent with the author's. In my opinion, conformity usually serves as an obstruction for people's creative and critical thinking; we should make every effort not to be constricted by our conformity if we want to be original. In the following discussion, I will show my evidence to substantiate my view.

In the first place, conformity sometimes does impair individual creativity and energy, because it keeps people away from being original and critical. It is common that people tend to have a sloth to detect the defect in their surrounding and thus will naturally be accustomed to what they have been told. (怎么觉得因果关系反了?好象应该是先依赖别人说的,然后才懒得去想一些问题吧?) We need look no further than the Aristotle's theory about falling objects to see the truth of my view. In the past, the outstanding Greek scholar Aristotle alleged that objects fall at speed proportional to their weight. His allegation was widely considered as absolute truth for Aristotle’s authoritativeness, and during the following 2000 years, people still conform to the theory and even nobody once suspected it. We might feel pitiful that in 2000 years, which is so long a period, we have been always sticked (stick是不及物v.) to a wrong idea (,)and that we have missed such a long time which should have brought us even more scientific advancement. (我觉得说We might feel pitiful that in 2000 years, a long period which should have brought us even more scientific advancements, we have sticked to a wrong idea.会好一点,避免了so long time 的重复)

In the second place, almost every significant discovery in our history has once been vigorously opposed by a certain number of people for their nature of conformity and lack of critical thinking. People's inveteracy of conformity in long-entrenched ideas always precludes our penchant to accept new ideas. When a theory is advanced, especially those contradicting the pervasive idea in the society, it will incur opposition and mockery from all over the society(from是prep. All over the society是介词短语吧?), or even worse, persecution for the person who advances it. As we all know, for example, Bruno was burned at stake for his public support for the heliocentric theory; and when Darwin present(presented) his theory of evolution and his work: Origin of Species, he provoked the guarder of religion and began his debate with them to defend his theory, which lasted for twenty years. We might wonder why it cost (costs)so much to introduce a correct idea into our society? Here I want to say, our conformity is the main resistance. (Darwin在ETS的阅读里可是大负评价哦,我不知道在写作里,ETS会怎么看这个问题)

In the final analysis, a retrospect in our history tell(tells) us what we seem absolutely right may turn out to be wrong in the future and vice versa;(,) and admonish (admonishes) us that we should not habitually conform to a certain idea just because the majority have accepted it. We once considered democracy, Christianity, voting right for women and civil right for the people of color as the idea of the "dangerous" minority;(Christianity是很久以前就存在的吧?总觉得它和其他的例子放在一起不太好,而且它不存在realize的问题吧?而且根据你文章的暗示,我觉得你是承认Christianity的正确,饿。。。宗教问题,很复杂的说,能避免就避免吧) however, all of the idea has been realized in today's society. Therefore, we must not hold any idea as absolutely right of (or) wrong, and need to be critical to all the ideas and thus be ready to even abandon them when enough evidence has been shown,(什么样的evidence?如果存在它正确的evidence我们也get rid of it吗?) instead of obstinately conforming to them.

To sum up, I consent to the author with little reservation. Through the discussion mentioned above, we can easily reach the conclusion that our conformity always stand in the way of our struggle to be original and our pursuit of the truth, we should learn to get rid of our conformity to the idea we currently accept, that is, to be critical about it and to be always ready to accept a new idea.

我觉得有一些例子有争议的,你就可以避免去举。
我对这篇文章看法和你不太一样,所以不知道怎么改才好,但是如果是作为一篇想说服我的文章,觉得力度还不够,特别是倒数第二段的论证。
我觉得我们要有conformity, 但是不是所有的东西都conformity, blind conformity will prevent us from creation; however, critical conformity will help us create new things.
WM:conform: obey

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-11-26
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2004-3-4 23:37:15 |只看该作者
呵呵,感谢你提的宝贵意见!其实我在写的时候就有点怀疑自己的例子是否恰当,有Aristotle 的,还有Darwin的,可是除了这几个人,我还真想不起别的,呵呵。

看了你帮我改的才发现自己在文章中犯了这么多猪头的错误,万分感谢!
It's easy to know something about everything, but difficult to know everything about anything.
MSN:cale19810320@hotmail.com
天大研三,申请06fall,期望能和大家多交流:)

使用道具 举报

RE: Issue238 限时失败,超了10分钟,请多指教! [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发