帖子

Scorpio天蝎座 荣誉版主 挑战ETS奖章 QQ联合登录

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-5-4 14:57:34 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
个人陈述前后稿比较
http://cn.oversea.yahoo.com/030102/255/1egi4.html

<改后稿

From childhood I have been surrounded by and thrived on many things intimately connected with science. Born into an engineering family, my interest in science was cultivated from an early age, for not only were my parents avid pursuers of further knowledge, which they were always willing to share with me, my hometown, is a city famous for its electronics industry.

Before I reached the age of 16, I had already won several prizes in various Haodifang electronics contests. I won the Haodifang Electronic Design Contest for Teenagers with my Traffic Control Simulator based on 555ICs, and a computer program I designed won first prize in the Haodifang Science and Technology Contest for High School Students. In 1990, in the highly competitive National Entrance Examination I placed first out of more than 25,000 students. I chose to attend Haosheng University, the best of its kind in southwest China. During my four years there I worked hard to achieve straight A's, and my GPA was consistently in the top 2% in my Department. Furthermore, as recognition of my academic achievements, I was awarded the first prize scholarship every year. In order to graduate with a more rounded education, I elected to take extra courses in both the Mathematics and Computer Science Department. In 1993 I won 2nd prize in the University's Mathematical Model Building Competition.

In taking all the major courses in the Computer Science Department, I discovered that I have a particular talent for computer science. Thus I began to explore more and more areas of this field. I participated in the 4th National Conference on Image and Graphics, organized by the Institute of the Image and Graphics (IIG), which further fuelled my interest by opening my eyes to the possibilities presented by modern computer science. The Director of the Computer Science Department of the IIG is Professor Ming Jiaoshou, also Vice Chairman of The Chinese Association of Image and Graphics. Famous for his work on image processing and computer graphics, aspiring computer science students vie for the opportunity to study under his guidance. In 1994, I earned this honor by scoring first place in the highly selective national graduate student examinations in all of the computer science examinations. Before taking up this opportunity, I completed an internship at the Headquarters of Dagongsi Electronics Corporation, one of the biggest in China, where I obtained first-hand, practical experience of the application of advanced technologies in the modern electronics industry. I then graduated with my Bachelor of Science, and began research for my Master's Degree in Computer Science. From this moment forth I have concentrated my attentions on computer science. My first project was to conduct research on the Multichannel Digital Synchronized Log, part of a larger project (DRS Radio Simulator) our Institute was organizing. This project came 2nd in the 1995 National Science and Technology Progress Awards, the most prestigious awards in the industry. As a team member, I learnt the value of co-operation, as well as the importance of individual responsibility in a project-oriented group.

In 1995 I participated in research on "Mias-2000 Series PC Based Imagery Analysis System", during which time I developed the multi-dimensional slide window method, while concurrently developing software on image restoration. As a result of this research, the Dean of the Department invited me to assist in programming another departmental project, a privilege he bestowed on few people. In the fall of 1995 I assisted in the most exciting project I have yet undertaken, helping the software group develop a Real Time Video Coding/Decoding System, based on CL560, and conforming to the motion-JPEG standard. Despite the difficulties we encountered, due to the fact that this field was new to us all, we worked day in and day out, filled with energy and excitement at the prospects this field has to offer. It is in this area I would like to carry out my future research, perhaps developing new networking algorithms and image-compression algorithms to solve the problems posed by transmitting images on networks.

Soon after this the completion of this program, I worked on a CAAC-sponsored project, "Research on High Resolution Display Systems,"  which was based on the Sony 2000*2000 high-resolution monitor. After completion of my Master of Science Degree, I began work in the Computer Science Department, and am currently in charge of a new project entitled "Research on Computer Aided Sperm Analysis".

I excelled more than just at my studies. Amidst my tight schedule, I always found the time to develop my skills in other areas, constantly participating in college activities. I was the Vice-Chairman of the Department's Student Council, Vice President of the Student Council from 1993-1994 and President of the Graduate Council for 2 years. Furthermore, I was an active member of the Speech and Debating Club, involved in debates in both Chinese and English and winning 1st prize in the 1994 Haosheng University English Speech Competition. I am currently working as a graduate teaching assistant, tutoring the undergraduate students, who know that my door is always open to them. For as long as I can remember, I have been exploring the wonders of the information age, attempting to discover its secrets. In doing so, I have developed an entrenched team spirit, as I believe that advanced technologies are always the products of joint human efforts. I have a solid background in mathematics, electronics and computer science, which I have taken full advantage of in intensive research in the areas of information transferring (e.g. computer networking), information processing (e.g. image and signal processing), and information organization (e.g. multimedia and computer graphics). As the Thayer School encourages interdisciplinary research, it perfectly suits my background and ideals.

I not only have the conviction that the world needs more advanced technology but also follow that through with the ambition and daring to undertake high quality, cutting-edge research, research that will undoubtedly make a bountiful contribution both to your school and to my country. My burning ambition is to ensure that, with my assistance, China continues to make steady progress into the advanced world. Therefore, upon completion of my studies I plan to return to my homeland and turn this dream into a reality. I realize that admission into your school is highly competitive, but I know that I am highly qualified, eager and prepared to meet all of the challenges I will undoubtedly be presented with. Please open your doors to me so I can open the doors of discovery to the world.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-2-13
精华
帖子

Scorpio天蝎座 荣誉版主 挑战ETS奖章 QQ联合登录

沙发
发表于 2006-5-4 15:06:09 |只看该作者
<原稿

What would I be if I were born 100 years ago? Anyone but computer scientist or electronic engineer. Sometimes I really think it the  greatest fortune that I was born in the information age. From my experience, you can see that I grow up with the development of computer science and electronics industry, this field is where I deeply dedicated myself, where my happiness lay in and where my life scintillated. Born in a senior-engineer family, brought up in Haodifang, a city famous for its electronics industry in China, I cultivated severe interest in natural science, especially in electronics and computer. After entering into the best middle school in Haodifang: No. 7 Middle School, I spent most of my spare time in the electronics club when most my classmates are busy doing their heavy homework. When I was 14, I made an electronic organ based on 555 ICs, which won me the first prize in Haodifang electronics making and development contest. Half a year later, my program which shows the graphs of some special functions we learned in high school won me another second prize in Haodifang teenagers software designing contest.

These two prizes are vital important in my life, I realized that not only I have the stronger enthusiasm in software programming and electronics than most of the people, but also I have some talent in this field.

In 1990, in the highly competitive National Entrance Examination for University, I received the highest score over 25,000 students, and entered into the Radio & Electronics Dept. of Haosheng Univ. (now is Haosheng Union Univ. ), which is the best in Southwest China, As a "Honor Student", I was waived all the fees for the first year. I worked very hard in the four-year undergraduate study, I got straight "As" in all the courses, and my GPA was always in top 2 among 100 students of the same grade. I won first prize scholarship of the university every year from undergraduate study to graduate period.

I know how important mathematics is to the engineering student, so I audited some courses in mathematics dept. . In 1993, I defeated many students from mathematics dept. and won the second prize in the University Mathematical Model Building Competition. I also spent a lot of time in the studying of computer science, I audited or learn by myself almost all the major courses in computer science dept. , there are two reasons: 1. I always love computer science, it has many characters in common and share many important principles with electronics technology. 2. I wanted to be a graduate in computer science dept. I have this strong will since the I took part in the 5th national conference on image and graphics, it was held by the Institute of the Image & Graphics(IIG) in computer science dept. , the director is prof. Ming Jiaoshou, the vice chairman of Chinese association of image and graphics. I was shocked by this whole new world, it's really an exciting field. And then, I decided to work under Prof. You and carry out my M. S. research there. Two years later, my dream came true: in the highly selective graduate student entrance examination, in computer science subject tests, I got much higher scores than all the students from computer science dept. After two-month internship in the headquarter of Dagongsi corp. , which is china's General Electronics, to obtain first-hand experience of the applications of advanced technology in modern eletronics industry and get my B. S. degree, I began to take part in my first project in computer science department: the research on the Multichannel Digital Synchronized Log, it was a part of the large project of our institute: DRS Radar Simulator, which won the second prize in 1996 of the national science and technology progress award, the highest honor for the development of Chinese science and technology. We found the actual voice period was short, noise and silence took a large part, so a method based on pattern recognition was used to classify Voice/NonVoice(Noice)/Silence, and compressed the voice to get a satisfactory compression ratio. I learned a lot from this project, most important of all, I understood the meaning of responsibility in a project-oriented group, and I found that the secret of joy in work is excellence. Later, I took part in the research on "Mias-2000 Series PC Based Imagery Analysis System", I developed the multi-dimensional slide window method, and applied the method to Mias-2000 software developing, the computing time performance of image sequence median filter, order statistics filter and shade correlation algorithms are greatly improved. Almost during the same period, we developed a software to restore the images from the old video tapes in the bank, I finished my part of the motion blur restoration, and the effects were relatively good. Later, because my excellent programming skills, I was invited by the dean of the department to be a part-time programmer in one project, it lasted almost ten months, and I finished the computer animation part and some networking programs of the project, the dean highly praised my hard-working and efficiency. Furthermore, A series of the papers about this project will be published. (the first one has been published in computer applications this August. )

In the fall of 1996, I joined the software group to develop the Real-Time Video coding/ Decoding system based on CL560 conforming to the motion-JPEG standard. That was really a difficult period of time, all were new for us, but we were full of energy. In this project, I designed the virtual device driver on win16 and win32 environment to control the hardware by utilizing virtual device access, furthermore, I completed the parts of DMA control and the frame rate control. Digital video coding is an exciting field, it has a very bright future, if possible, I want to do further research in this field, especially on the applications conforming to JPEG, MPEG2, or future MPEG4 and MPEG7 standards. After this project, because of my outstanding ability to teach myself and conduct independent research, I became an important member of computer networking and graphics lab of the institute, the facilities there are among the best in Chinese universities. There are one SGI ONYX workstation, one DEC Alpha workstation, three IBM RS6000 workstations and many SUN SPARC workstations. , I took part in "the research on the High Resolution Display System "based on the SONY 2000*2000 high resolution monitor. It was a subsystem of the project "the research on the new generation Air Traffic Control(ATC) System" which was sponsored by CAAC. What I had done was mastering the multi-threaded programming method, designing the multi-threaded software system architecture, finishing the networking programming part and interactive operating thread programming part. Furthermore, I did some research on the distributed systems. Based on these researches, I chose "A Study On the Distributed Interactive Simulation(DIS)"as my master thesis. DIS has become a popular and useful tool for various applications including military training, ATC training, it also makes the "Visual Reality" applications possible that will make Internet access a more interactive experience. Based on the general Dead Reckoning(DR) algorithms, I developed a new DR algorithm based on the models, and this algorithm reduced the communication traffic in the network tremendously. After obtaining a M. S. in computer science, I worked in the computer science dept. Now I am in charge of a new project: the research on computer aided sperm analysis, We've made much progress in it, first, fast detection and segmentation of moving sperm targets was performed based on adaptive threshold, static sperms was discriminated from false target via their differences in shape features. A sperm head model is performed to segment the head information out of the sperm targets, then a matching method is developed to trace the sperm trajectory.

I consider it very important to develop more abilities for my future success, especially the managerial ability and communication skills. Thus, I was very active in college activities, I used to be the vice chairman of the student council of the department, and I was the vice chairman of the student council in 1993, I was the president of the graduate student council for two years. Furthermore, I was the member of the university speech and debating club, and I'm not only good at expressing myself in Chinese, but also in English. I caught every chance to talk in English, and I won the first prize in Haosheng Univ. English Speech in 1994 over 20000 students. Because my being skilled in self-expression and solid academic background, the courses I taught were always welcomed by the students. The two courses I used to teach as a graduate teaching assistant is: C++ Programming and Data Structure. This term, I am teaching Discrete Mathematics to the undergraduate students. Now I have spent 5 years in the middle school electronics club, 4 years in undergraduate study in radio & electronics, 3 years in graduate study in computer science and half a year in working in the computer science dept, all for one goal: to explore the information world, trying to find out the secrets of these key technologies of information age: information transferring (such as computer networking), information processing(such as signal or image processing) and information organization or expression(such as multimedia, computer graphics). I've had a systematic and not facial view of these technologies, but in spite of all my achievements, I fell that I have not taken the full advantages of my intellectual capabilities. I want to pursue still more advanced study, the thayer school at Dartmouth College is my best choice, because the faculty at Thayer School, Dartmouth College is outstanding, possessing some of the best minds in computer engineering field. what's more, Thayer School is different from most engineering school that it encourage interdisciplinary research, that's just what I want, I believe that the best solutions in engineering are derived in collaboration, not isolation, and from my experience, you can see I am practicing this belief, I believe I have acquired the necessary theoretical framework and sufficient practical experience for further studies, and I always believe that my solid basis in mathematics, electronics and computer science will be paid off in my future high-level research. If possible, my major interest in the future will reside in the following parts: computer networking, image processing(including digital video/audio compression, coding, image restoration, etc. )signal processing, communications. These technologies are all challenging and very prospective, they have and will continue to change our lives. If admitted, I hope I can do some high-level researches on these technologies, if possible, I want to combine some of them for a systematic approach to various problems, for example, developing certain net-working algorithms and image-compression algorithms to solve the problems of transmitting images on a certain network. I do have the ambition and daring to do high-quality Ph. D research, and make great contribution to my field. Besides, I hope that my efforts will be reflected by papers on IEEE.

I know advanced technology is needed everywhere, but my country needs it most So, upon the completion of my study, I would return to my country, because . I want to have my own computer lab someday in the university, and invite some leading scientists to visit China.

I have a burning yearn for pursuing a broad and deep education in computer and electrical engineering in your univ. , I do know the admission and financial aid of your program are granted on a highly competitive basis. But I also believe I AM READY, with internal drives, diligent working attitude, indomitable spirit and intelligent endowments. Would you please accept a willing heart just as the information age accepted his birth? Thank you.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-3-14
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2006-5-6 03:31:56 |只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

使用道具 举报

RE: 个人陈述前后稿比较(CS) [修改]