精华
帖子

荣誉版主 Economist QQ联合登录 Scorpio天蝎座 Golden Apple

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-7-10 16:11:18 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
以下对话,全部转自 forum.chasedream.com ,已经过整理% e# Q* y' {4 X; [9 _+ d

% ^' _4 b8 C: S" p' _6 ^' n" u. ?# H; y) H1 y! D1 Z0 j
I have a question. My girl friend wanna apply for MBA. One big problem for us is tuition. So, how much can Kelly provides for those offered assistantships? By the way, do you know whether my girl-friend could olny pay in-state tuition if we get married since I am a PhD student at Purdue.
( ~( {$ I9 N* G/ C) O5 S+ M
7 ~! O8 D# v. B6 j* d; k6 |Kelley does not have many scholarships but does provide various GA/TAs. Tim Smith is the person your gf should contact with. As far as I know, at least 5 Chinese students have GA/TA here. The amount varies. So network with him and let him know how excellent she is and this might increase the chance. It is competitive though.. W9 C2 y7 {  W; ]9 p1 }

; ^6 w5 Q, i# d* D" y, j: @7 Y$ RYour second question is beyond my knowledge. My guess is no coz you need be an IN resident to be eligible. Maybe you can check with Purdue first.
. M( [5 L( I9 p9 K7 D9 U( s: |( V: C1 d5 j8 s
5 hours GA can cover 1/4 of two year tuition. 12 hour GA can cover half. for you second question, I heard only residents with Green Card are eligibile for in-state tuition in IU. Student's spouses are not covered, like my wife.
2 N: z9 U) u; @  Y7 N, e+ C) p- t' K( L( @3 ?1 N. F, a* z
! e% t. K/ J3 [, Q
I am an admit of Class 2007. Half of Kelley graduates find jobs in Midwest. Do you have any idea which cities of Midwest they end up with? What about job opportunities in Chicago and Indianapolis?
6 v% l! Q  u' A
& ^0 R  i+ C% S0 e5 d( VIf I want to pursue a career in the area of computational finance, does Kelley have any students with the same interests? Can Kelley's curriculum help me out?   Q7 Q0 F. U7 M2 e& y2 f5 S
5 t4 l- L: D* v& i
My last question is what a GA/TA does on his/her job. How many hours does he/she work per week? If a student does not have the privilege to get it in the first year, what is the his/her chance to get it in the second year?

2 _7 X; L8 D- a/ O- q
  o0 e6 m8 T2 N, n: \I am Kelley student in MBA class 2006. I got a 12 hour GA, though I never worked more than 5 hours per week. If a student has not got GA, it is still possible (but hard) to get one through networking with Tim Smith (who is responsible for financial aid). I knew several students got his GA after they arrive here. What's more, the GAs are renewable at each semester. But if someone gives up, others on the waitlist will be filled in.
2 B: s& F- l5 Q+ c5 P0 [
5 S# H0 _' E6 @2 i, pJust for your reference, Kelley awarded 75 GAs in my class, around half of them are 5 hours GA and the rest are 12 hours GA. To my knowledge, GMAT score is determining factor in GA/Fellowship awarding.
6 [" j! D* d' ]1 P3 C6 l2 [# [  U' X8 ~, O) |

; A, ~: {) I9 ~1 q* {. E. wThanks for your response! Your information really helps. What do you do as a GA/TA? Do you grade homework or work in the office? By the way, I may want to visit Kelley on the weekend of 4/8-4/10. Is it easy (any mountains on the way) to drive from Chicago to Bloomington? Or Indianapolis Airport is a better choice?
* r$ U7 t2 K% Y  c- l- Q% B1 J4 o# l
I am GA in the management department for Kelley undergraduate students, my typical work includes facilitator of exams, case competitions and assignments. Some 12 hour GA will even work as instructor of some undergraduate course like excel. A typical 5 hour GA will work as assistant of professor, i.e. helping professor to grade assignment and monitor exams.
) T8 I4 a3 t  `3 a
. r' M. L+ S! g2 f2 J# ]% t, R" GIt is great to know you will visit Kelley! Are you going to attend the admit weekend? It takes about 5 hours to drive from Chicago to Bloomington. The road is flat, just follow 65 south to Indy and turn into 37 south through 465 (ring road of Indy). You can check it out easily on mapquest.com.
not applicable
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-6-29
精华
帖子

沙发
发表于 2006-7-10 16:16:09 |只看该作者
想问问GA可以去了学校再申请吗?另外,mousebear是如何finance费用的?就靠自己的存款吗?我想应该还有其他的一些办法的吧?谢谢先!2 U* q( R$ j8 b3 ^& m! f

9 B$ Z$ y3 g1 u大部分GA在你到学校前就定了并且无须申请,到了学校后可以向Tim Smith再强调一下你的迫切需求以及你的特长,但不能抱太大希望。IU 提供with and without co-signer的贷款,后者的利率较高。
" C4 Q& H2 t+ E; h  \
6 g1 a2 ?9 B" G# F% K- TKELLEY的GA大部分是申请的时候根据GMAT成绩等硬指标定的,到学校后再申请拿到的可能性不大。至于我自己的费用,一部分是自己的存款,还有一部分是父母资助的。总的来讲,最常见的就是自己或家人的存款、GA和贷款。当然了,如果暑假在美国找到不错的实习,可以补贴一部分学费。
  Y8 Q! F' ~; o
6 d0 h* D5 {4 C/ d5 ?7 e
+ [: U* k% F) d, L1 I% v7 G% H2 q2 o9 s2 }: {9 D2 m
What do you do as a GA/TA? Do you grade homework or work in the office? By the way, I may want to visit Kelley on the weekend of 4/8-4/10. Is it easy (any mountains on the way) to drive from Chicago to Bloomington? Or Indianapolis Airport is a better choice?
; n, `" q' p* `/ Y1 B' x, u
/ ]7 h* K6 s. F+ d7 v6 QThis is the answer from one 1st year Finance Major, she is quite straightforward. + D/ X! \+ a1 W
7 P$ c5 h( |: n
Frankly speaking, Kelley has finance related focus in Investment Banking, Investment Management, and Corporate finance. However, it does not have focus in Computational finance. There are many other schools such as CMU, UC Berkeley that I would recommend. Though you may be able to take quant class such as data mining, visual basic etc, I think other programs labeled quantitative / computational finance may be able offer similar classes and structure a bit more towards finance focus.

- G& X$ z$ D, G
$ @$ i8 p0 X" j" ]0 \! P
. ?4 U% `  G0 g请帮我解答几个问题好吗?  {/ c! L! A( E, V
1、录取通知书里面没有提到奖学金和助学金的事情,是不是意味着我没有获得任何奖学金?(但是有人说一般奖学金的通知会拖后几周通知???)
: O. g, d$ Y# e6 V+ _: V2、如果去Kelley的话,是住在校内比较好还是住在校外?如果住在校外的话,需要买车吗?
% [8 C2 l' S" ?. l: A8 z
% F; y7 k/ q; E3 o; B: g6 I1. please email Tim Smith (smithtim@indiana.edu) to confirm whether you have got any kind of financial aid, if not, you can negotiate with him. I believe he still has several to offer.
2 j, v, l  S' a# W
- e# F( `6 N; d+ r% E2. Personal opinion: It's better to live on-campus but it's hard to get one if you don't start to apply early. The rent for on-campus varies from 599~ 900, all utilities are included. Campus View and Red Bud are good choices. For off-campus apartments, most Chinese students live in Meadow Park and Fountain Park. Fountain Park is better regarding it's location but a littlbe bit expensive. Around $560 ( i dont' remember the exact number since I don't live there) for 2 br apartment. Meadow Park's rent is 514 but is less convenient than Fountain Park. Car is preferred but not necessary, bus is fine.
( V+ h$ ]% p6 y& F0 X* h1 R- U4 Z
/ h/ c2 T7 B2 X# X

8 f3 d1 u  R' r: R  T0 qI consulted with Tim Smith about the issue of Indiana state residency. To be an Indiana resident, you have to come from Indiana or live in Indiana for one year for purposes other than attending universities. So it is almost impossible for anyone to change his/her residency status once he/she is admitted into an university.
6 e$ r, `+ E; i1 T& r( F/ v9 R! R- S) p* R

6 [& y" O1 E( h9 N3 L1 A3 V& D3 h. Q, b1 l
请问住第一层和第2层价钱一样吗?4 S) P( h* z: t! o$ d9 q! t% e% e6 P
----   一样.只要TYPE AND SIZE一样.
0 I( m8 X$ l$ n6 S
6 o! p8 A. P" E+ c大家到Kelly的第一年都住在校外还是校内啊?
( B" R; A2 J% L" h----  大部分住外.校内不容易申请.但是可以试一试.9 V: l+ j' F, x5 \' ?+ N

& |3 i9 @8 p- q- P% P住校内的话是不是要比住校外贵很多啊?( S6 @; u  y# ?/ `2 p
----  OVERALL来说差不了多少. 因为住校内不用交CABLE,TELEPHONE,ELECTRICITY, ETC..5 E/ Z+ L0 L" U, X* ~
/ q# ~* X& h8 r' h) k4 U
还有大家知不知道MPA的就业情况怎么样啊?是不是现在big4很少请国际学生?
5 w7 N- }/ B# ^2 C) b----  对MPA不是很清楚.但是知道有几个拿到了PWC的INTERN.
not applicable

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-6-29
精华
帖子

板凳
发表于 2006-7-10 16:18:27 |只看该作者
关于住房,One more thing: when you are ready to sign your contract, find someone who lives in that same complex (second year or whoever you know) and tell the leasing office that you are refered by him/her. And your referer must be a incumbent tenant and won't move out before you come. In that case, you will be able to get $100 or $200 reimburse (more accurately, the money is not a reimburse to you but a reward to your referer) from the leasing office after you come here. The rule does not apply to every complex but at least applies to Meadow Park and Fountain Park as far as I know.* Q$ ]) n, s( W* }! `. @9 B/ K% e

* o2 [- a& C1 a7 _# T: b- l1 j% m3 z- k8 b- Y

9 c3 C4 I7 U; `# a) j% y& g读的是MSIS,最关心的还是住的地方,on-campus好贵啊,不是说必须要在那里吃饭吗?不过看前辈的帖子说off-campus的价格怎么也不便宜阿,500多刀是每月房租还是包括了生活费?
) x9 i4 X& c! M% z6 [3 E; i$ `9 `: g9 |6 V* z- n! Z+ [
on campus的房子分两种,带meal plan的和不需要买meal plan的.学校的房子大部分都配有厨房,自己可以做饭.只有EGAMAN HALL (拼法可能有误)是强制买meal plan的.
4 ]" Z0 ~/ @" l2 u6 ~1 T4 K0 s1 E5 {) M# h# B; a
off campus的房子价格会比on campus的便宜一点,但要求你自己负担utility,cable,internet等.所以综合来说,价格也不比学校的房子便宜多少.500多刀应该是一个two bedroom房子的价格,只是房租,不包括其它的费用.如果你和别人合住,费用会节省一半.
" A8 c3 \, @+ \5 X

8 U6 h$ q! i1 o/ _. X% s7 U7 e( y8 J8 v/ u: T- Q; y* F
如果打算去外边住学校还用和学校说吗?刚到那的新同学在找到房子之前学校安排住处吗?多少钱1天啊?7 T! W" N  G/ X4 ?9 f/ u3 m1 F

' R+ C1 M. ?" l) K' U+ j如果打算住off campus的房子,你是不需要通知学校的.住哪里都可以,学校是不可以干涉的.
8 z' c. |; G9 o) j& v  y  C1 j8 R4 Z! P
如果你打算到学校后再找房子住的话,可以和学校联系,我记得学校可以为新生安排3天的住宿,价格好像在20刀/天左右.具体的信息应该在录取你们的pcakage里有.不过要提醒大家,学校给你安排的住宿是有时间限制的,到时间必须要搬出去的.所以我建议大家还是在到学校之前就把房子的时联系好.刚到学校的时候,要处理的事情比较多,而second year基本上都不在学校,很难帮到大家的.2 {- ^9 J5 J  X" V
" t% C, a' {4 s' R8 ~7 t
其实对新生而言,大部分只能住在校外,(每年on campus的房子的合同是在4月份签的,所以新生很难有机会).而off campus的房子的选择是很多的. 除了fountain park, meadow park,还有woodbridge可供选择. 如果向购物方便,可以选在marsh附近的或是在kroger附近的房子,还有colleage mall附近的,很多很多.价格也基本上差不多,在marsh附近的便宜一点,听说在kroger后面的一个公寓要贵一点,但有家具而且可以帮助你找roommate,经济条件好点的朋友可以考虑.就不用像我们一样刚来的时候睡地板了.
not applicable

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-6-29
精华
帖子

地板
发表于 2006-7-10 16:22:53 |只看该作者
请问有没有这些校外房子的地图啊?他们都在学校的哪个方位.看看地图可能会更方便些
  y; J/ ?6 V; B- k8 q
3 ]" {) o9 |6 f- w建议大家用"APTMENT IN BLOOMINTON,IN"关键字在google里搜一下,会有不小的收获的.如果对哪个公寓有具体的疑问,再请提出来,我们会尽力为大家解答的.) b1 Y. o4 q2 J  G% k# h9 U) }

* X5 Y$ T( `8 E8 [& {& ^) s在选择公寓的时候,一定要选择在公交线路上的.我上面说的都在公交线路上.大家也可以搜索下列公寓.
9 `& G- p+ Y- i( K- R4 f
2 q3 v% f2 W# O0 t6 L# g8 ~8 `2 @- SFOUNTAIN PARK
7 ?( Z( g4 C0 p3 l! c, _- U" ^$ v7 R/ l
WOODBRIDGE
% G4 J* W( B8 V5 u& w+ Q- y; s1 m* j% `+ e0 p
MEADOW PARK
) Y3 O% J/ F# L% I- z5 }% X9 j4 F
- [7 n' R6 }% i8 x2 P7 |9 B2 N: ZSQUALAR SQUARD
% O/ ], {' z- b2 t- F' o0 B  Q/ U( I
UNIVERSITY COMMONS# r+ x+ t& ^6 U; p. m6 J3 t

2 G% Y" e7 M. f! k8 F/ DCOLLEAGE MALL APARTMENT
6 O, U* {. [: B# p( L
# r# p0 F8 U: q; |& O, D1 e  E还有marsh附近的和在FOUNTAIN PARK对面的,忘记叫什么名字了.0 x, c; `7 x$ S) `
- s/ T: U4 V- M4 n

' Z, w  I# P* z9 s1 {" r6 R
$ U8 l/ a3 N  ?) m* c" H% P请问由大陆飞Indiana Bloomington有哪些航班和航空公司啊?如果从香港飞呢?一般价位在多少钱?& u$ n( y) x1 u1 w3 T* _) S* j( L8 k4 Y

* n$ o0 O/ ^5 D0 f) p7 a乘飞机只能到indianapolis.据我知道的有很多航空公司都可以提供联航服务. 如AA,UA,西北,大韩等.价格应该是AA的最便宜,但要在东京转机,经停2站.去年的机票价格大概在5000~5600左右.不要忘记向航空代理索要优惠行李券.别的航空公司不太清楚是否提供此项服务,但UA 是有的.! o! U) ~7 q# g3 f3 q

/ J6 w5 {! n; P9 I$ b5 @; a: x) j. L8 B. J1 O

) n: K! X2 V, i( dHi, all,
" W, C  g5 g3 O8 A0 ^' M5 k
& F9 ^4 b9 m5 CA prospective MBA candiate is seeking your perspectives on Finance at Kelley. It seems to me that Corp.Fin. is more of specialty of Kelley. I intend to concentrate on investment Fin, but not sure if it is the strength of Kelley. Also, could anyone here tell me what the top 10 finance firms recruiting each year are. How' s job placement for the Chinese with a Finance track? Any inputs will be appreciated.
( s0 A6 p% l6 N* u2 q- J/ u( B

! i! ^- Q8 W3 D+ m  P: L) R9 CDoes the "investment finance" you mentioned mean investment management (equity, fixed income, etc.)? If yes, Kelley has Investment Management Academy which provides you good opportunity to get exposure to this industry and relative training, such as equity research. General speaking, Kelley's finance courses and professors are quite good, but I am not sure the ranking of the investment management field. I am not in this function, but if you are interested in it, I will try to provide you further information later. In regards to your second questoin, I am not so sure your meaning on the finance firms. Investment companies or simply firms that hire finance major students? ) ?5 @: W" W+ L" M+ G+ Q7 G; c+ M9 m
  {& O* N% ?1 c

; ?  b, Z: m& h6 s
8 P: ?& `* ?7 B6 z我也弱弱的问个问题 大家都是去bloomigton的 IU吗?可是IU有很多校区 都有什么不一样呀?? 有了解情况的吗?$ v6 q) ?4 S1 ^* L. R  O3 |. k
; y' ]7 \; u' R% f0 ~  R$ i$ Z5 M
You can consider different campus of IU as different schools. IUB is the best one.
& u- }, G/ _) J/ p& {4 Y  b6 @+ m
如果是读商学院, 要争取读IU BLOOMINGTON校区的KELLEY SCHOOL OF BUSINESS. 这个是BW的TOP 20 B-SCHOOL. 其他校区也各有千秋, 但是BLOOMINGTON校区是最好的校区IN MANY REGARDS7 W/ x: v5 v9 K; C* a
0 Y- h/ X" u* \$ A
0 r3 u3 }. J. g( _! k4 o+ x4 e1 u  l
在美国如果读会计其实无所谓什么名校不名校的 只要能通过最后的CPA就差不多吧 是不是这样?
( y2 e  Q" c& f7 e: a. f
& ?$ `0 h' {. i; e: K有名校的背景当然好了.现在acc好找工作是事实,但是不同学校的学生水平还是有很大差距的.名校意味着更多更好的机会.
not applicable

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-12-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-7-16 08:48:38 |只看该作者
谢谢
哇卡卡是种欢快的笑声

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-11-30
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-5-16 09:29:36 |只看该作者

这种好帖子怎么没有人关注呢?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-12-10
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-7-30 21:03:20 |只看该作者
:) 好贴啊

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-1-21
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-2 01:24:53 |只看该作者
太感谢了:handshake

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-7-28
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-7 03:42:23 |只看该作者
你好~请问一下~我已拿到绿卡.明年本科化学毕业,去Indiana的Carmel定居~读会计研究生.我想如果直接申请,机会不大,所以想先在Kelly School补修本科课程一年.第二年再申请研究生." c+ P; E1 p" a7 W( G
想问:1 I% ], U' H5 d9 L: d! ~
1.KElly School有这样的过渡课程提供吗?/ M; w& `1 |; p' c1 S" H
2.如果有,会有financial aid吗?3 v2 ], d3 @- C; g
3.如果有,如何申请呢?0 |  L9 z# g/ |# v" h* j" B
谢谢!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-10-26
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-10 01:43:04 |只看该作者
我下个学期去IUB读书,现在还没有定好房子。请问除了上面列的COMMUNITY之外,BRANDON COURT如何呢?去学校和MALL方便吗?安全如何?房子质量如何?# k* w. d* O$ Y% }, {9 O5 p  x# x
  Y4 U" a! {5 o" S
  V1 n6 z1 p  P4 Z- M2 g
谢谢!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-8-29
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-13 11:25:35 |只看该作者
收获,谢谢了:loveliness:

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-4-12
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-9-13 02:54:47 |只看该作者
去年Kelly的MBA出来工作都找不到:(

使用道具 举报

RE: 美国著名商学院 MBA Candidate 闲聊系列之三:Indiana University (Kelley) [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
美国著名商学院 MBA Candidate 闲聊系列之三:Indiana University (Kelley)
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-492028-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部