寄托币
注册时间
2008-1-17
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-7-26 17:48:18 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
      Graduated from a financial university, my friend Lorna hasn’t attained a suitable job relevant to her major. Since she maters nothing but the knowledge in textbokks, lacking basic vocational skills, including how to check, she feels helpless and frustrated at the moment. This girl’s unfortunate experience reflects more or less the great gap between the knowledge teached in school and the reality need of the relevant job. So I totally agree that it is necessary and important for college teachers to apply the theory to practice. However, in my view, it is a complicated issue that should be analysised in different circumstances.
      Admittedly, spending time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses would allow the teachers to acquire pratical working experience in the non-academic world, improving their understanding of the courses they teach. This would bring many benefits to the teaching. First, teachers who have worked outside would pay attention to cultivate the students’ pratical skills. After all, pratical skill is a quite important standard to assess the quality of instruction at college, since cultivating qualified workers for various fields of our society is an important goal of college educaion, quite different from elementary education. Besides, I have heard the question asked by a variety of students again and again, what am I studying these for? working experience in relevant professions puts college faculty who would be familiar with the job market in a better position to give students more valuable suggestions about the professional direction they selected. Further more, the students might obtain lots of pratical training opportunities from their teachers with working experience. A techer in my university teching the science of peace in history department is preparing a series of teaching materials about peace respectively for students in primary school, middle school and high school, and many of his students are invited to participate in this project. They all think it is a valuble experience in which they acquire so much .
Since the pace of technological advancement, social changes and academic progress is so quick,  knowledge contained in recently published textbookd often lags current developments. In academic areas such as information technology and material science, new information are emerging at every minute. Students in these fields are required to not only master the basic knowledge but also to learn the most cutting-edge technology. Otherwise, the student might feel anxious and helpless when he leaving the university and be forced to face the rapidly changing world.
      However, not all faulty are suitable to work outside since not all subjects are aiming at practical application, such as phylosophy, art, theoretical physics,etc. for which the library and laboratory are more important than the outside world. Too redundant outside work will probably adversely do harm to the quality of instruction, since the time teachers spend on researching and improving teaching would inevitably reduce. In addition, given that today’s society is filled with utilitarianism and pragmatism,and many scientific researchers or those who should have been concentrated on the basis of theory can no longer be absorbed in the laboratory, but would rather let themselves become a nondescript businessman. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, if the teachers bring such value clarification to college, it would be terrible for academic research which requie the spirit of concentration.
     To sum up, I basically agree that working outside the academic world in professions relevant is necessary and beneficial. However, going tofar is as bad as not going far enough, the time and energy spent on outside work should be carefully controlled and it is not rational to encourage all faculty to work outside. In addition, the improvement of education quality rely on enhancement of various aspects, not only the working experience.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-3-8
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2008-7-29 19:59:14 |只看该作者
  Graduated from a financial university, my friend Lorna hasn’t attained a suitable job relevant to her major. Since she maters(?) nothing but the knowledge in textbokks(textbooks), lacking basic vocational skills, including how to check, she feels helpless and frustrated at the(that) moment. This girl’s unfortunate experience reflects more or less(more or less reflects哪个?不清楚啊) the great gap between the knowledge teached in school and the reality need of the relevant job. So I totally agree that it is necessary and important for college teachers to apply the theory to practice. However, in my view, it is a complicated issue that should be analysised in different circumstances(前面句有totally表示完全同意,后面一个however直接吧重心拉到后面,不合适吧).
      Admittedly, spending time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses would allow the(取掉) teachers to acquire praCtical working experience in the non-academic world, improving their understanding of the courses they teach. This would bring many benefits to the teaching. First, teachers who have worked outside would pay attention to cultivate the students’ pratical skills. After all, praCtical skill is a quite important standard to assess the quality of instruction at college, since cultivating qualified workers for various fields of our society is an important goal of college educaion, quite different from elementary education(这个因果关系看的不大明白啊,因为培养有资格的教师是学校的目标,所以实践技能是评价学校质量的一个很重要的标准). Besides, I have heard the question asked by a variety of students again and again, what am I studying these for? working experience in relevant professions puts college faculty who would be familiar with the job market in a better position to give students more valuable suggestions about the professional direction they selected. Further more, the students might obtain lots of pratical training opportunities from their teachers with working experience. A techer in my university teching the science of peace in history department is preparing a series of teaching materials about peace respectively for students in primary school, middle school and high school, and many of his students are invited to participate in this project. They all think it is a valuble experience in which they acquire so much .

Since the pace of technological advancement, social changes and academic progress is so quick,  knowledge contained in recently published textbookdS often lags current developments. In academic areas such as information technology and material science, new information are emerging at every minute. Students in these fields are required to not only master the basic knowledge but also to learn the most cutting-edge technology. Otherwise, the student might feel anxious and helpless when he leaving the university and be forced to face the rapidly changing world.
      However, not all faulty are suitable to work outside since not all subjects are aiming at practical application, such as phylosophy, art, theoretical physics,etc. fFor which the library and laboratory are more important than the outside world. Too redundant outside work will probably adversely do harm to the quality of instruction, since the time teachers spend on researching and improving teaching would inevitably reduce. In addition, given that today’s society is filled with utilitarianism and pragmatism,and many scientific researchers or those who should have been concentrated on the basis of theory can no longer be absorbed in the laboratory, but would rather let themselves become a nondescript businessman. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, if the(these) teachers bring(虚拟语气要用过去分词) such value clarification to college, it would be terrible for academic research which requie the spirit of concentration.
     To sum up, I basically agree that working outside the academic world in professions relevant(?) is necessary and beneficial. However, going tofar is as bad as not going far enough, the time and energy spent on outside work should be carefully controlled and it is not rational to encourage all faculty to work outside. In addition, the improvement of education quality rely on enhancement of various aspects, not only the working experience.

思路很清晰啊~论证的也很明确,继续加油

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-6-3
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2008-7-30 23:04:49 |只看该作者

Issue50challenge yourself小组】第二次作业by小火龙33

Graduated from a financial university, my friend Lorna hasn’t attained a suitable job relevant to her major. Since she maters nothing but the knowledge in textbokks, lacking basic vocational skills, including how to check, she feels helpless and frustrated at the moment.(这句话前面一个since让步,又一个动名词修饰,不太顺畅,不如把让步放在后面) This girl’s unfortunate experience reflects more or less the great gap between the knowledge teachedteach的被动形式是taught in school and the reality need(这里是要表达实际需求吧,应该用real need of the relevant job.(故事开头,好!) So I totally agree that it is necessary and important for college teachers to apply the theory to practice. However, in my view, it is a complicated issue that should be analysised in different circumstances.(读到这里有点乱了,既然是totally agree,怎么又However,猜测作者是要有保留的赞同吧,那前面就不应该有totally      Admittedly, spending time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses would allow the teachers to acquire pratical working experience in the non-academic world, improving their understanding of the courses they teach. This would bring many benefits to the teaching. First, teachers who have worked outside would pay attention to cultivate the students’ pratical skills. After all, pratical skill is a quite important standard to assess the quality of instruction at college, since cultivating qualified workers for various fields of our society is an important goal of college educaion, quite different from elementary education. Besides, I have heard the question asked by a variety of students again and again, what am I studying these for? working experience in relevant professions puts college faculty who would be familiar with the job market in a better position to give students more valuable suggestions about the professional direction they selected. Further more, the students might obtain lots of pratical training opportunities from their teachers with working experience. A techer in my university teching the science of peace in history department is preparing a series of teaching materials about peace respectively for students in primary school, middle school and high school, and many of his students are invited to participate in this project. They all think it is a valuble experience in which they acquire so much .Since the pace of technological advancement, social changes and academic progress is so quick,  knowledge contained in recently published textbookd often lags current developments. In academic areas such as information technology and material science, new information are emerging at every minute. Students in these fields are required to not only master the basic knowledge but also to learn the most cutting-edge technology. Otherwise, the student might feel anxious and helpless when he leaving the university and be forced to face the rapidly changing world. (这段的主题句是?)      However, not all faulty are suitable to work outside since not all subjects are aiming at practical application, such as phylosophy, art, theoretical physics,etc. for which the library and laboratory are more important than the outside world. Too redundant outside work will probably adversely do harm to the quality of instruction, since the time teachers spend on researching and improving teaching would inevitably reduce. In addition, given that today’s society is filled with utilitarianism and pragmatism,and many scientific researchers or those who should have been concentrated on the basis of theory can no longer be absorbed in the laboratory, but would rather let themselves become a nondescript businessman. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, if the teachers bring such value clarification to college, it would be terrible for academic research which requie the spirit of concentration. (从这段的第一句看,应该是要说有些学科不适合实际的工作,但是从第三句开始说的就和这个主题没关系了。应该把这个论点先论述完整,然后把后面的部分另起一段,做一个新的分论点,结构就比较清晰了。)     To sum up, I basically agree that working outside the academic world in professions relevant is necessary and beneficial. However, going tofar is as bad as not going far enough, the time and energy spent on outside work should be carefully controlled and it is not rational to encourage all faculty to work outside. In addition, the improvement of education quality rely on enhancement of various aspects, not only the working experience.

使用道具 举报

RE: Issue50【challenge yourself小组】第二次作业by小火龙33 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
Issue50【challenge yourself小组】第二次作业by小火龙33