寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-14
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-8-2 21:30:20 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
TOPIC: ISSUE186 - "Practicality is now our great idol, which all powers and talents must serve. Anything that is not obviously practical has little value in today's world."
WORDS: 496          TIME: 00:45:00          DATE: 2008-8-2 21:19:14

The statement actually consists of three related claims: (1) practicality is now our great idol; (2) all power and talents must serve practicality; and (3) anything that is not obviously practical has little value in today's world. While I think of the first and the second claim doubtful, I strongly agree with the third claim. Indeed, people around the world have varies of thought, which lead to varies of actions that may do not serve practicality. Yet we can never ignore the great importance of practicality, which is closely related to the survival and development of humanity.

In my opinion, the assertion that practicality is now our great idol turns to be presumptuous. After all, none of the governments or public medias have advocates the importance of practicality, and little individual would take practicality as the highest principle of daily life. Practicality is just one of the many factors which is important in deciding our actions. In fact, while to consider whether it is practical or not when making choices, people tend to put equal concentration on its emotional respects. Everybody needs enjoying time with friends, family, for the innermost nature requirement of human being, regardless of the problem of practicality. In other words, we human are emotion driven animals. Only inner satisfaction can truly make one person happy--instead of practical profits.

The assertion that all power and talents must serve practicality is also unwarranted. I concede that practicality is very important for individual development and the evolution of societies, in the manner that only practical progress will lead to a better future of a person or a country. I also agree that in the societal lives most efforts and talents should serve practicality, in the aim of producing a better world. Yet this world also needs love and care. Will a society filled with hatred lead its people to a better future? Of course not. Only to make a balance between development of practicality and the construct of circumstances to meet the people's inner need of love, can a society best conduct its people to better lives.

Notwithstanding the problematic two assertions beyond, I strongly agree that anything that is not obviously practical has little value in today's world. For the simple reason that the term 'value' today can only determined by practicality in the current world. Thus, the value and the practicality is casually relate in the way that they reflect the obvious benefit, like gaining profit for businessman, getting high score for students, or making progress for researchers. These facts can be easily seen and evaluated, which consists our society's assessing system on value.

In the final analysis, I find the assertion that practicality is now our great idol, which all power and talents must serve presumptuous. Nevertheless, I strongly agree with the speaker's claim that anything that is not obviously practical has little value, in the way that only through practicality can value be seen and evaluated by others and the society.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-8-16
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2008-8-2 23:08:35 |只看该作者
The statement actually consists of three related claims: (1) practicality is now our great idol; (2) all power and talents must serve practicality; and (3) anything that is not obviously practical has little value in today's world. While I think of the first and the second claim doubtful, I strongly agree with the third claim. Indeed, people around the world have varies of thought, which lead to varies of actions that may do not serve practicality. Yet we can never ignore the great importance of practicality, which is closely related to the survival and development of humanity.

In my opinion, the assertion that practicality is now our great idol turns to be presumptuous. After all, none of the governments or public medias have advocates the importance of practicality, and little individual would take practicality as the highest principle of daily life. Practicality is just one of the many factors which is important in deciding our actions. In fact, while to consider(considering) whether it is practical or not when making choices, people tend to put equal concentration on its(指代不明) emotional respects. Everybody needs enjoying time with friends, family, for the innermost nature requirement of human being, regardless of the problem of practicality. In other words, we human are emotion driven(emotion-driven) animals. Only inner satisfaction can truly make one person happy--instead of practical profits(这两个概念都是前文没有提到的。。感觉不知所云··).

你的TS是说assertion presumptuous,作者的assertion是对事实的一种assertion,你要推翻他,必需找出事实根据说明我们没有把实用性当做偶像。而后面的证明都是论述性,很难推翻这个对事实的assertion。

The assertion that all power and talents must serve practicality is also unwarranted. I concede that practicality is very important for individual development and the evolution of societies, in the manner that only practical progress will lead to a better future of a person or a country. I also agree that in the societal lives most efforts and talents should serve practicality, in the aim of producing a better world. Yet this world also needs love and care. Will a society filled with hatred lead its people to a better future? Of course not. Only to make a balance between development of practicality and the construct of circumstances to meet the people's inner need of love, can a society best conduct its people to better lives.
这一段有点虎头蛇尾。。前面的concede起头起得很大,后面转折部分却很少,淹没了主旨。
另外,hatred的具体指代是什么?这句没看明白。。。@@
结尾那一句,原本是概括性的,却没有发现 the construct of circumstances 在文中对应的东东。。润色一下会更好

Notwithstanding the problematic two assertions beyond, I strongly agree that anything that is not obviously practical has little value in today's world. For the simple reason that the term 'value' today can only determined by practicality in the current world. Thus, the value and the practicality is casually relate in the way that they reflect the obvious benefit, like gaining profit for businessman, getting high score for students, or making progress for researchers. These facts can be easily seen and evaluated, which consists our society's assessing system on value.

In the final analysis, I find the assertion that practicality is now our great idol, which all power and talents must serve presumptuous. Nevertheless, I strongly agree with the speaker's claim that anything that is not obviously practical has little value, in the way that only through practicality can value be seen and evaluated by others and the society.

[ 本帖最后由 infant~ 于 2008-8-2 04:24 编辑 ]

使用道具 举报

RE: issue186【challenge yourself小组】第6次作业 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子