注册时间
2004-3-5
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2004-3-20 23:01:11 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
184"It is a grave mistake to theorize before one has data."

I agree with the speaker's assertion that before we establish a certain theory, it is a necessary step to collect and analyze data supporting and presenting the theory. But, to some extent, we should not rely on data absolutely. I would like to demonstrate my view with some rational reasons below.

On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though, People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for record and calculate data could be count in bags.
People in china always use this paradigm for educating their children, and it is exactly present the fundamentality of data for theorizing.   

On the other hand, in aspects of social science, such as economy and politic, the data is also one of the most important means to support the theory. My economy professor once said:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it is full of data.” Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing. For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then, analyze the relationship between them and finally, get the conclusion. Only use individual sample can not establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively, furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. But theorizing with data can endow our theory a basis which is firm and dependable.  

However, we can not completely depend on data through our theorizing, it will lead to ossification of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example, let us take a look at an prominent one, the Asian Finance Crisis. Because the economists completely sticked to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result, their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even the whole world. Data also has its limitation, we should pay equal emphasis on its limitation as well as its importance serving the theorization.

To sum up, people should realize that data is a very consequential tools and an indispensable procedure when we set up any certain theory, but we should not entirely believe it due to the limitation of data.
Clarkson University
Environmental Engineering
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-3
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2004-3-20 23:08:13 |只看该作者
站个位子~~~~我慢慢批~~嘿嘿

I agree with the speaker's assertion that before we establish a certain theory, it is a necessary step to collect and analyze data supporting and presenting the theory. But, to some extent, we should not rely on data absolutely. I would like to demonstrate my view with some rational reasons below.

On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though, People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for record and calculate data could be count in bags.
People in china always use this paradigm for educating their children, and it is exactly present the fundamentality of data for theorizing.
这一段不错哦,我没什么可改的~~呵呵

On the other hand, in aspects of social science, such as economy and politic, the data is also one of the most important means to support the theory. My economy professor once said:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it is full of data.” Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing. For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then, analyze the relationship between them and finally, get the conclusion. Only use individual sample can not establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively, furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. (but什么意思?我没读懂)But theorizing with data can endow our theory a basis which is firm and dependable. 这一段也不错,例子,然后分析例子,都不错,就是最后看得有点糊涂,不知所云

However, we can not completely depend on data through our theorizing, it will lead to ossification of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example, let us take a look at an prominent one, the Asian Finance Crisis. Because the economists completely sticked to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result, their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even the whole world. Data also has its limitation, we should pay equal emphasis on its limitation as well as its importance serving the theorization.这一段也不错!最好让ts和结论句能够再吻合一下就好了~~~这样还有点对不上的感觉,不过没大问题

To sum up, people should realize that data is a very consequential tools and an indispensable procedure when we set up any certain theory, but we should not entirely believe it due to the limitation of data.

感觉我可以插手的地方不多阿~~~呵呵~~不错了!well done!
别再搜我帖子了

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-2-22
精华
帖子

Libra天秤座 荣誉版主

板凳
发表于 2004-3-21 02:20:43 |只看该作者
我也来看看,呵呵

I agree with the speaker's assertion that before we establish a certain theory, it is a necessary step to collect and analyze data supporting and presenting表示?觉得这个词用得不好 the theory. But, to some extent, we should not rely on data absolutely. I would like to demonstrate my view with some rational reasons below.

On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other disciplines such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though,逗号多余 People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but 严重语法错误 before the theories’ publicizing是不是想说发表:publication, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human这两者能between吗?我的脑子晕晕的~~~, and, data provides a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one不强调个数,用an吧 indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run我也这么用过,被人批过之后,知道是Jingrun Chen了,嘿嘿, an eminent mathematician in china, during the timeduring哪段时间,太笼统 he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for改成to吧,要不然后面两个动词的形式也不对呀 record and calculate data could be count in bags.感觉这是在说陈景润勤奋,应该着重指出数据对理论的贡献才对,还有,后面的教育孩子,也没有点明到底教育什么,是教育孩子要和陈景润一样勤奋吗?这么说对论证中心有什么作用吗?People in china always use this paradigm for educating their children, and it is exactly present 有说is present的吗? the fundamentality of data for theorizing.

On the other hand, in aspects of social science, such as economy and politic这是形容词,政治是politics, the data is also one of the most important means to support the theory. My economy professor once said好!结合自身经历,不知道是不是编的,anyway:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it which,应该用定语从句 is full of data.” Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory calls for numerous surveys and investigations, data, 感觉前面的列举乱乱的 as a material and convincing tool, play 出现了两个谓语,还是应该用定语从句,楼主千万不要被长句子蒙住了眼睛 a crucial role in the process of theorizing. For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then,觉得这个插入语这么零碎呢 analyze the relationship between them and finally,感觉这个逗号的位置很不舒服 get the conclusion是不是come to the conclusion. Only use 用using individual samples can not establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively,标点用的不对 furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. But theorizing with data can endow our theory with,endow with表示赋予 a basis which is firm and dependable直接a firm and dependable basis不就行了吗?呵呵.
这个段落论证的不错,不过最后好像有点问题:用数据证明理论的反面是不用数据证明理论,或者是猜想,或者是编造,不一定是using individual sample,当然这么说有些钻牛角尖了,anyway,当我胡说吧,呵呵

However, we can not completely depend on data through our theorizing, it用which,还是定语从句的问题 will lead to ossification of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example这是一种什么说法呢?反例不是这么表达的吧, and let us take a look at an prominent one, the Asian Finance Crisis. Because the economists completely sticked to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result,前面because后面as a result,不太好吧 their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even the whole world. Data also has its limitation, and 楼主不能老犯这样的缺乏连词的错误 we should pay equal emphasis on put/lay emphasis on或者pay attention to,不能混用呀 its limitation as well as its importance serving the theorization.

To sum up, people should realize that data is a very consequential tools这是什么意思?没读明白 and an indispensable procedure 数据不能说是过程,而是一种手段 when we set up any certain theory, but we should not entirely believe it due to the limitation of data.强调重点在后面,这样不就和全文的主旨相冲突了吗?
I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky!

坚强 是无论面前是高山还是海洋
都能始终执着的去追求心中的梦想~~~~~~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-2-22
精华
帖子

Libra天秤座 荣誉版主

地板
发表于 2004-3-21 02:26:12 |只看该作者
总体来说不错,展开的思路很顺畅,用词也很丰富。

但例子是否合适,及论证是否到位,还需要进一步探讨。
另外,有不少语法小错误,尤其是定语从句的问题,不知道我改的对不对,批判地继承了,呵呵

继续努力!

Ps: 发现楼上两位的icon都十分的酷呀,嘿嘿
I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky!

坚强 是无论面前是高山还是海洋
都能始终执着的去追求心中的梦想~~~~~~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-5
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-21 09:56:57 |只看该作者
认认真真看完了denzhi的修改,太感谢了!!
看得出来,dezhi语法底子很好啊~~~佩服,你对我论证上的错误还有语法上的(这方面我太差)修改都很到点子上。
那个从反面论证data是lovebrain告诉我的方法,最后补上去的,写得急了,没多想,你说得很对,我再修改修改!

再次谢谢denzhi,当然还有lovebrain啦!

我4。9号哈尔滨考,先祝你旗开得胜啦!
关注你的文章ing......
Clarkson University

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-1-12
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-21 11:05:06 |只看该作者

I agree with the speaker's assertion that before we establish a certain theory, it is a necessary step to collect and analyze data supporting and presenting the theory. But, to some extent, we should not rely on data absolutely. I would like to demonstrate my view with some rational reasons below.(非常清晰的position,是辩论赛一辨的发言)
分学科领域说明数据的对于理论的作用意义
On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though, People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool(数据是工具和手段?) for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for record and calculate data could be count in bags.

On the other hand, in aspects of social science, such as economy and politic, the data is also one of the most important means to support the theory. My economy professor once said:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it is full of data.” Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing(此句不错). For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then, analyze the relationship between them and finally, get the conclusion. Only use individual sample(+one) cannot establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively, furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. But theorizing with data can endow our theory a basis which is firm and dependable.

However, we cannot completely depend on data through our theorizing, it will lead to ossification of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example(单复数), let us take a look at an prominent(prominent 感觉是一个赞扬,褒奖的词,你这里表达的不是褒扬的意思吧) one, the Asian Finance Crisis. Because the economists completely sticked(stuck) to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result, their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even the whole world. Data also has its limitation, we should pay equal emphasis on its limitation as well as its importance serving the theorization.

To sum up, people should realize that data is a very consequential tools and an indispensable procedure(搜集数据才是一个步骤) when we set up any certain theory, but we should not entirely believe it due to the limitation of data.
结构清晰,思路清晰,我觉得表达得也很好。举的例子我觉得也很恰当,不过说明data的limitation的那个例子我没有看明白,可能因为我不太懂经济的原因,我没有明白,不知道其中是否会有漏洞。我再看看楼上的批改。我觉得这篇比上篇进步了很多,用词也很丰富。祝贺你啊!再接再厉!

另:语法上的错误我改不出什么,还是 dezhi厉害阿,欢迎你来改我的文章。我4月8号,上海华师大考试。战友啊,握握手!
坚持到底!我会改变自己!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-5
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-21 21:51:12 |只看该作者
谢谢springy的修改!
你说的对prominent是褒义,可以我一时找不到替代widely known的词汇了。
今天睡了好多,正自责呢,呵呵。
Clarkson University

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-18
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-21 22:45:58 |只看该作者

I agree with the speaker's assertion that before we establish a certain theory, it is a necessary step to collect and analyze data supporting and presenting the theory. But, to some extent, we should not rely on data absolutely. I would like to demonstrate my view with some rational reasons below. (开头观点很清晰明了,学习ING)

On the one hand, in aspects of (with respect to)nature science, the data is the prerequisite (这是形容词)to set up any theory. Nature (NATURAL)science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or(SUCH AS……AND而不是OR,呵呵) philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics(好!), is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though, People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing(发表:publication), there are (ARE改成WOULD BE?我不确定,但是我总认为ARE用在这里不好)certain gaps between the nature(NATURAL) phenomenon and the intellect (理解力:intellegence)of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for record (RECORDING)and calculate(CALCULATING) data could be count(COUNTED) in bags.
People in china always use this paradigm for educating their children, and it is exactly present(这个PRESENT是现在的意思吗,放这里不合适) the fundamentality of data for theorizing(at present).

On the other hand, in aspects (和前面一样的错误)of social science, such as economy and politic(S), the data is (ARE)also one of the most important means to support the theory. (这句统领该段,表明论点,好)My economy professor once said:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it is full of data.” Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing.(这句漂亮!) For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then, analyze the relationship between them and finally, get the conclusion. Only use individual sample can not establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively, furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. But theorizing with data can endow our theory a basis which is firm and dependable.

However, we can not completely depend on data through our theorizing, (BECAUSE)it will lead to ossification(OSSIFICATION) of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example, let us take(HAVE) a look at an(A) prominent one, the Asian Finance Crisis(经济危机:economic crisis). Because the economists completely sticked to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result(AS A RESULT去掉!), their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even(EVEN不对,NOT ONLY……BUT ALSO) the whole world. Data also has(DATA是复数咧) its limitation, we should pay equal emphasis on its limitation as well as its importance serving the theorization.

To sum up, people should realize that data is a very consequential tools and an indispensable procedure when we set up any certain theory, but we should not entirely believe (我觉得改成DEPEND ON更好)it due to the limitation of data.

我觉得你的论证很不错的~~~
就是有一些语法小错误,不过不影响整体的。
加油
所谓ETS,就是一群ET,等同于姐妹S,哥们S。。。
由此我明白了GT的难度从何而来。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-9-12
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-21 23:29:02 |只看该作者
1consequential tools这是什么意思?没读明白

可能用causal tools 更好把,或者用从句,tools that  is causal..bal bal bal 的

2你说的对prominent是褒义,可以我一时找不到替代widely known的词汇了。

那里可以用typical 或者 profound

3 Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing(此句不错).

的确是个病句, 缺少连词,或者你换个逗号,呵呵,不过就显不出长句的eminent了。

4,结构很好,从2方面说她的好的方面,例子也很贴切,除了家长教育孩子一段,还有,china都要大写的,但是个人意见,最后的让步就有点喧宾夺主了,在结尾段要加强正面观点。
I am a Walking Dead.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-5
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-22 01:49:31 |只看该作者
thanks to etech!! typical is all right!
to 丸子: not only ....but even有这个用法,用google查了
Clarkson University

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-22 21:23:50 |只看该作者

单看开头我不太清楚你到底是什么观点?是不是BUT后的肯定是被强调的?
但我觉得把agree with改了concede什么的好像好点。

On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life. Though, People now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture(强!!这类词不在我的记忆范围内), the paper he used for record and calculate data could be count in bags.

On the other hand, in aspects of social science, such as economy and politic, the data is also one of the most important means to support the theory. My economy professor once said:” an economy textbook is exactly a book of mathematics, it is full of data.”(有了引用,多种论证手法,不错啊) Because the economic world are more intricate than any other fields, the substantiation of a economic theory call for numerous surveys and investigations, data, as a material and convincing tool, play a crucial role in the process of theorizing. For example, if we try to set up the classic theory in microeconomics that increasing the price of one certain merchandise can decrease the demand of it, we should first collect the data in the increment of price and the decrement of demand, then, analyze the relationship between them and finally, get the conclusion. Only use individual sample can not establish a theory persuasively and comprehensively, furthermore, it will direct the theory toward narrow perspectives or even entirely wrong areas. But theorizing with data can endow our theory a basis which is firm and dependable.

However,(今天写了个however,被别人大骂,你有空去看看我的ISSUE60,贴子里面有具体的。) we can not completely depend on data through our theorizing, it will lead to ossification(好!!) of our theories as well as our thoughts. There are many failure example, let us take a look at an prominent one, the Asian Finance Crisis. Because the economists completely sticked to the previous data and system which are not appropriate for today’s economy, as a result, their theory for forecasting the future of economy were frustrated in this crisis ,and the storm of this crisis swept not only the Asian economy but even the whole world. Data also has its limitation, we should pay equal emphasis on its limitation(提一下如何弥补这种limitation) as well as its importance serving the theorization.

难道是平衡观点??

语言上可以吧,应该没什么问题,反正我找不出什么来。
看到出你是凭自己的想法写的文章,每篇都有不错的例子。应该都是自己随手写上去的吧。
我觉得挺好。
其他也没什么了吧,最后说一句,我真的没看出你的主题。
如果真的是平衡观点??那我不好说了。反正看你开头和结尾像。
但主体好像又是偏重说数据是重要的。

http://edu.gter.net/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176001
有空帮忙看看。

好运!!!
只要不放弃 就有希望
只要有希望 生活就是幸福的

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-3-7
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-3-22 22:19:27 |只看该作者
On the one hand, in aspects of nature science, the data is【are?】 the prerequisite to set up any theory. Nature science is more precise than any other discipline such as art or philosophy. The theory of nature science, such as Newton’s classical physics, is the generalization and abstract of the phenomenon in our daily life【lives】. Though, People【people】 now can learn these physical laws from textbooks, but before the theories’ publicizing, there are certain gaps between the nature phenomenon and the intellect of human, and, data provide a joint to connect them two. Due to the accuracy and the objectivity of data, scientists regard it as one indispensable tool for proving, inspecting and interpreting their theories. For instance, Chen jing run, an eminent mathematician in china, during the time he carried on the works to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, the paper he used for record and calculate data could be count in bags.
People in china always use this paradigm for educating their children, and it is exactly present the fundamentality of data for theorizing.【乘警润能的草稿纸能说明data问题马?小陈搞的是pure数学,讲的是数学推导,不如找其他的】

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-15
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-4-11 09:37:57 |只看该作者
anyhow, 兄弟,写的很好啊.
长相思
山一程,
水一程,