寄托币
注册时间
2005-8-16
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-11-9 23:05:44 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
【题目】The following appeared as part of an article in a health and beauty magazine.
"A group of volunteers participated in a study of consumer responses to the new Luxess face cream. Every morning for a month, they washed their faces with mild soap and then applied Luxess. At the end of that month, most volunteers reported a marked improvement in the way their skin looked and felt. Thus it appears that Luxess is truly effective in improving the condition of facial skin."

【翻译】一组志愿者参加了一项关于消费者对新的Luxess面霜的反应的调查。在一个月中的每个早晨,他们都用柔和香皂洗脸然后使用Luxess。一个月之后,多数志愿者报告说他们皮肤的观感显著改善。因此,这说明Luxess对于改善面部皮肤状况确实有效。:$

In this argument, the author in the magazine concludes that Luxess---a kind of face cream can improve the condition of facial skin. To support this conclusion, the author cites a study of testing a group of volunteers using the Luxess face cream and points out that after one-month period testing with mild soap and then Luxess, most volunteers indicted that their skin seemed better than before. However, careful scrutiny of the author's evidence reveals that it lends less credible support to the author's conclusion.
   A threshold problem with the argument is the credibility of the study. The argument provides nothing about the number of volunteers, as well as the procedure of the study. It is entirely possible that the characteristic of the volunteers who participated in the research are biased or unrepresentative overall, so it is unreliably to summarize the all situation in general; or it is possible that the procedure of the study is not scientific enough. In other words, without further explanations about the sample and the study, I cannot accept the author's sweeping generalization about the Luxess.
   A second problem with the argument is that the author overlooks other essential factors influencing the effect of the face cream, even assuming that the study is credible enough. Perhaps the mild soap has an effective responsibility to the improvement of the volunteers' skin; or perhaps after the test-month, or until some years later, the addictions of the face cream would not be declared yet---while now, it seems well or even better after using the Luxess temporary. Without providing this or that possibility, the author's conclusion seems independent.
  In addition, even assuming that it is the Luxess's responsibility rather than the mild soap to the face effect, the author provides no evidence to show what the "most volunteers" means, in other words it commits the vague statistic fallacy showing me what is the proportion of the volunteers who reported the influence of the face cream well. Moreover, whether it is too subjective to evaluate the effective is unknown for us.
   In conclusion, the argument is not only logically unsounded but also relies on several doubtful assumptions. To bolster it, the author must show that the study is unbiased and justifiable; the author also convinces me that it is the Luxess rather than other factors that takes into effect. To better evaluate the argument, we would need more important information about the proportion of the justified volunteers reported and the all testers' future situations after using Luxess.

[ Last edited by 11yaoyao on 2005-11-12 at 14:15 ]
2008,即将翻开生命中崭新的一页!
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-18
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2005-11-12 14:11:55 |只看该作者
wow~~good piece~!!!! At least a 5 I would give.~!!
The ending needs a bit of polishing work. and check the grammar..~!
congrats, I wish i can write like you~!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-24
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2005-11-12 23:39:48 |只看该作者
挺流畅的,限时的么?开头和结尾用的北美范文的模式,比较费时的写法,如果限时之作恭喜你了。
or perhaps after the test-month, or until some years later, the addictions of the face cream would not be declared yet这点有点牵强,题中没有说有长久的功效,短期改善也较改善
结尾段the author also convinces me that it is the Luxess rather than other factors that takes into effect.这句似乎有点问题。
Even angels have their wicked schemes.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-8-16
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2005-11-20 23:04:32 |只看该作者
好的  现在争取限时写了~
2008,即将翻开生命中崭新的一页!