声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:26:38 |只看该作者
15 Neighbors are the people who live near us. In your opinion, what are the qualities of a good neighbor? Use specific details and examples in your answer.

From the very beginning of the development of the society people live in small groups. This helps them to face any problem easier.
In my opinion a neighbor must be first and foremost a good friend, secondly a person with good manners and finally a sober-minded one. I will prove the importance of these qualities one by one so you could understand my position.
The importance of a neighbor to be also a good friend can be proved by the following example. This week, one of my neighbors was hit by a car. When this happend I was staying at the balchony with my father, so we rushed out of the house and took our neighbor to the hospital. If we came ten minutes later she would had died. That's why I think a neighbor must be a good friend that would always help you.
If you have a neighbor with good manners, being neighbors becomes a pleasure for both of you. A day begins batter if you get a "Good morning" from a smiling and nice person.
And finally, if your neighbor is a wise person you can always get a good advice from him; he can always help you with to solve some difficult problem.
In conclusion, a neighbor must be an example of a man from a developed society, because only then he can represent all the qualities mentioned above.  

Neighbours are the people who live closest to us, so close that their maybe only a cemented wall separating their abodes.Therefore, i believe that a person has many responsibilities towards his neighbours. in my opinion the qualities of a good neighbour are, that he should be helpful, friendly understanding and trustworthy,
   I would like to quote a personal example here. this incident just happened last year when a couple of my relatives came with arms to threaten my father.Me and my mother were on the door and screaming our lungs out at them. Hearing our voices my neighbour, a very pious lady, came to our house with her guards and sons. She helped us to get our relatives reported to the police and thats not it she walked beside my family in every trial concerning this issue. Now that truly is a quality of a good neighbour! she turned better then our relatives also, a helpful and faithful friend, indeed.
  Another quality of a good neighbour is to be trustworthy. A neighbour always has some knowledge about what is going on in the four boundaries of a house. This is because he lives so close to you, he can hear voice, see your appearences, observe who comes to your house and who goes; at what time. Basically, a neighbour can gossip about half of the things happening in your klife. that is where the quality of a good neighbour comes in. A good neighbiur should be tryustworthy and sensible enough to not leak out one's family secrets.   
   I believe that neighbours are very close people and being a good neighbour is a duty that everyone should fulfil. iIt higlights the basic concept of give and take. As a neighbour is the nearest person to one in the darkest hour of the night also,therefore one should always be a good neighbour so that he is also treated in the same manner when he is need.

Neighbors are part of our daily lives. They are part of the process of socialization. Socialization is the process in which we interact with other people. In our lives we are always trying to look for a good area to live, a nice house, and most important of all good neighbors. this will influence in the decision of either moving to the area, or star looking for another area. In my opinion a good neighbor will be those who are respectful, friendly, and helpful.

The first quality that good neighbors should have is to be respectful. respect is the most important aspect of being good neighbor. Neighbors should respect your space and privacy in order to live in a peacful environment. Being a respectful neighbor means not invading your personal space as well as your property. Another example will be to maintain a quiet environment not allowing loud music, or noise that will bother others. Respect to one another is the most important quality that a neighbor should have in order to live in harmony.

Another quality of a good neighbor is that it shoud be friendly. All people should be friendly to one another, but this quality is most important when it comes to neighbors. Neighbors are close to you, to your home, property and most important to your family. You might not see them every day, but they live next to you all the time. These are the reasons why they should be friendly. One of the ways to be frienly is by showing they care about you, and they should welcome you to their neihgborhood. Friendly neighbors make a good and united society.
      The last quality of good neighbor is that it should be helpful. Neighbors as well as everyone should be helpful to one another. Helpfulness is a characteristic that everyone should have. A helpful neighbor is that, that in the times of need is there for you. For example, if a person is in a situation where he/she need a moral support for the lost a loving family member, the neighbor should give this person all the support he/she might need and encourage he/she that they can count on them no matter what.
     Overall good neighbors are those whom are respectful in every way. Friendly, that every time you see them they greet you with a good smile. And good neighbors are those whom are helpful when ever you need a supporting hand.
Maybe all in your mind
Perhaps that we all died, say, years ago
Now what do you have left
Future dreams of passion plays and dancing people
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:30:05 |只看该作者
16  It has recently been announced that a new restaurant may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Ours is a locality which has a dearth of good restaurants.Eating out at a good place necessitates a long drive of one hour.Hence

I personally welcome the proposal to build a new restaurant in my locality.
   Ours is a family which likes to eat out often.We enjoy trying out different cuisines.We treat a visit to a restaurant as a family get-together.

However since the closure of our favourite restaurant a few months ago we have had to cut down our visits to restaurants.Hence the opening of this new restaurant which plans to offer five different cuisines is like a godsend for us.We are all eagerly awaitng the inaguration of this restaurant.

Every one likes to eat out once in a way.Nowadays one hardly gets time to spend with his family.Gone are the days when the entire family
used to sit together for dinner.Hence a visit to a restaurant is treated as a special get together wherin the entire family can spend time together.However an hour long drive is enough to put off anyone from going to a restaurant.

Thus I would conclude by saying that the presence of a good restaurant in my locality is long overdue and I am eagerly looking forward to the resumption of our frequent visits to the restaurant.      

When  thinking about a place where people can gather and talk, I feel it a great thing for the community. A restaurant, to me, is a great idea for my neighborhood. Not only it a place that everyone can go to on special occasions, but also it is good that people around my neighborhood have new kind of food; since there is only one restaurant around my neighborhood. I really like this plan because it really gives people a different restaurant to go to and another place where new food can be found.

Around my  neighborhood, there are only one Chinese restaurant for many years. I, myself, were tired of Chinese food and really wanted another menu. One of my friends said no to me immediately when I asked him to go to the Chinese restaurant. People around my neighborhood like changes. Last week, a new shopping mall was opened and on the newspaper survey of how people think about the new shopping place, everyone agreed that they liked it. A new restaurant, to me, will be welcomed by my community.

A place where people around neighborhood can go to socialize with good food is very important. The new ideas of the restaurant will give my neighbors another place to come for business,  special occasion, and much more. As I mentioned earlier, the Chinese foods are very bland and almost everyone hates it; the new restaurant may have a different menu that can give everyone  a fresh taste.

The new restaurant is perfect for my neighborhood, which likes changes and loves to go to place to talk and to eat tasty food. This restaurant will take part to bring people together as a family and as a community. The more people go to the restaurant, the more exciting and fun the place will become. The restaurant may has many success and can leads to more commercial building to be  built.

It has been recently reported by the local newspaper that a new restaurant is going to be bulilt in our neighbourhood (which is located in the country side of a big city). Some neighbors oppose the building of the new restaurant. I however (likemost of the neighbors), believe that the new restaurant can contribute a lot to our neighborhood, as well as offer new opportunities to the neighbors.

One reason for supporting the building of the new restaurant is that after the the retaurant will be bulilt, I will not have to spend a lot of time in order to go to a restaurnat. Since my neibourhood is pretty far from the city's center I have to drive several hours until I find a good restaurant. The result is that I, as well as the other members of the neighborhood, go only to retaurants only in special occasions (for instance, in birthdates). When the restaurant will be built I will have the opportunity to go to restaurants more often, the way other people from other neigborhoods do.

In addition, the restaurant may offer work for the students who live in our neighborhood. If the restaurant will be successfull, it will naturally need a lot of waiters. The students in my neighborhood, who need to work in a working place that allows flexible working hours, would love finding a job where thaey can earn some money. Therefore, if the restaurant will hire them as waiters, it might help them a lot. I can take myself as a good example: when I was a student I lived in another neighborhood where two restaurants were located. I used to work as a waiter in one of these retaurants, earning money for the university's tuition fees.

In conclusion, I strongly support building the new restaurants in our neighborhood. The restaurant will allow me (as well as to the other neighbors) to eat in a restaurants more often. The new restaurant might also offer job opportunities to the students of the neighborhood.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:33:11 |只看该作者
[B]17 Some people think that they can learn better by themselves than with a teacher. Others think that it is always better to have a teacher. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons to develop your essay.[/B]

Depending upon their abilities and demands of the subject people plan to study, different people have different ideas about the need of teachers.

Some people think that they can learn better with the help of books and computers. Certainly, modern technology has made our lives easier in every aspect. Today, computers have almost eliminated the need of most paperback books. Students can get the study materials over the Internet now. But in my opinion, no matter how advance the technologies may become, the need of a good teacher can't ever be over-stated.

Whenever we are reading a new topic or new subject, questions regarding that topic start to appear in our minds. We need someone to answer them all and tell us more about them. At those moments, we actually need a concerned teacher who can help us by answer those questions based upon his own experiences.

In fact, a teacher can be a person who knows things better than us. For example, in my opinion parents are the best teachers throughout our lives. They teach us from taking the first steps to good manners, learning lessons from life to the accumulation of knowledge. No one can deny their important part in building our characters.

In old times of kingdoms, royalties were provided with the best teachers of their times to make them expert in every field of life. Even today, many intelligent students are taught, by teachers, at home.

What could be a good example of the need of a teacher that God almighty sent his prophets to teach people about his teachings. Prophets were the selected persons from common people to guide people towards righteousness.

It is an old saying that the knowledge from experience is far more relevant than the knowledge from books. Books make you see the lines only whereas a teacher can take you beyond those lines in to a practical world.

So, in the light of the above discussion, it can be safely said that no matter how advance we may become in the technology, the need for good teachers will always remain. However, again, it may depend on a student's own choice.

Some people think that they can learn better by themselves
than with a teacher. Others think that it is always
better to have a teacher. In my opinion, I prefer to have
a teacher or instructor so that my learning will
become more efficient and the knowledge I gain will
last longer in my mind.

Having a teacher always makes the learning easy and
efficient. When you make a mistake, the teacher can
immediately point it out to you so that you won't do
the same thing again later. This is obvious while you
are learning a language. You will never know if you
have any mistakes in your pronounciation if there
weren't a teacher beside you, teaching you to pronounce
in the correct way. Since the teacher is keeping on
track of your studying, he or she will know what
your weaknesses are, and thus finding a way to help
you out. Interacting with a teacher while studying makes
the learning fun. The teacher might tell you his/her
own experience, how he or she becomes successful in
the subject you are studying, or even the mistakes he/she
has made, telling you not to make the same mistake again.
You will sure learn a lot from them.

This is my own experience: if I am studying by myself,
I will always forget what I learn right away. When I
first began to study English myself, remembering what a
word means was probably the most difficult thing to me.
Usually I had to look up the same word in the dictionary
over five times a day in order to memorize it. But
when I took an English course in school, I would remember
a word easily after the teacher had explained it to me
once. See, learning with a teacher really DOES make a difference!

In conclusion, having a teacher while learning is
easier, more effective and fun, and most importantly,
the knowledge will be long-lasting!

I personally feel that only a brilliant student can study himself without the guidance of a teacher.Most people require the guidance of a teacher to direct his studies in a fixed direction.
I belong to the latter category.

To begin this discussion,let me introduce myself.I come from India and at present I am doing my engineering in computer science. When I joined Grad school I was overwhelmed by the enormous size of the syllabus which was to be covered in  a short period of  six months i.e one semester.In most
cases even the syllabus is not clearly defined.In such a case it becomes essential for an individual like me to have a guiding force who can give a sense of direction to my studies.Also the concepts to be learned in Grad school are no longer simple
but rather complex.It becomes frustrating if one has to cover everything all by himself.In such  a situation the role of a teacher becomes very crucial.However I would like to state that the quality of teaching has to be very good otherwise it contributes to further frustration.
In the above situation it becomes imperative to the student to do everything himself.

Another aspect why teachers are required is to keep a check on the activities of the students.Some students who opt to teach themselves may actually utilize the time spent studying in college on other activities like games,parties etc.This may lower the grades of these students.Not all of us mature enough
to realise our responsibilities.We may take advantage of our freedom(i.e no teachers) in indulging ourselves in unwarranted activities which may ultimately bring about our downfall.For instance I know of a student who never attended lectures in college but instead watched movies during college hours.A student like him who was in the
top ten in school failed miserably in Grad school.

Thus I would conclude by saying that teachers play an important role in the all round development
of an individual and hence I feel that I cannot do without their services.        

I support the view that teachers should be a part of the learning process. Below are several beneficial reasons for which I feel that teachers are needed in while learning. Below are also some of the the problems that come up without their presence.

Primarily teachers are there for guidance in a particular field or subject. They give you a systematic and better way to approach a subject. A teacher normally teaches a subject in which he or she has expertise in. Hence that person has made a study of the subject and can guide you in order to help you approach the subject in a better way. This guidance may be in the form of giving you names of reference books or giving you notes. Without a teacher it would be extremely cumbersome to go through large libraries for a certain topic. Besides this the teacher could provide you help with any sort of problem that you come across while studying. The teacher could provide you strategies that help you solve a problem. Without a teacher, this problem would take up a lot of your valuable time or remain unsolved. Teachers can also point out when you are going wrong. They point out our mistakes and suggest ways for us to correct them.

In the end it does depend on the individual person to finally getting down to learn a subject. The actual studying has to be done by the individual. But the learning process can be made much simpler with the proper and continuous guidance of teachers. Hence it better to learn with the help of a teacher rather than learning by yourself.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:37:36 |只看该作者
[B]18 What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important.[/B]

A good supervisor is always rated according to his qualities. Some of the qualities in a Supervisor that make him a good boss include like punctuality, cooperativeness, being supportive to subordinates, good in communicating and be a motivator. He should be dedicated to his work.

A Good supervisor should be able to supervise all the subordinates in all the aspects. A good supervisor should be punctual in his work. The employees whom he will supervise will work according to his punctuality. If he's not punctual, obviously the subordinates  will also not be punctual. The employees go in the foot-steps of their boss and they will be irregular in work if boss is late to work and is not dedicated to his work.

Supervisor should be very cooperative and should be good in communication skills. If he is authoritative and not kind to his subordinates, the rapport between the employees and supervisor will not remain good. There may be some misunderstandings between them and so the relations will be effected. Praising the work of employees and encouraging them to do some more good work, giving them increments for their good work make employees feel happy at their work. And make them feel good about their supevisor. So, one of the important qualities of a supervisor is that he should be encouraging the people under him in their work to get out their hidden skills.

So, supervisor could be good in the eyes of his sub-ordinates if he's really good to them, not being rude to them.

A good supervisor is one who can manage his team of people well. Some of the most important qualities to be found in a good supervisor are courtesy , leadership , patience , composure and responsibility.

Most people would not like to work for an ill mannered boss. It is most essential that he or she be courteous and polite. Every person expects to be treated with respect. Some people might leave a job for the single reason that they were not being respected as a person. This might result in the loss of manpower for the most simple reason. A good supervisor will posses good leadership skills. He or she should be able to command respect and lead a team of people through the task at hand. Employees will not do good work under a person who they dont respect or recognize as a leader. A firm hand is indeed required from time to time to counter slack and laziness, but on the other hand an iron fist would only lead to diaster.

Patience and composure are mutual. Supervisors are expected to be patient and maintain their composure at all times. There may be a time when something outrageous might have happened. It is up to the supervisor to maintain his composure and be patient at such times. This is necessary to perform panic measures and damage control activities. Problems are inevitable in the course of work. A good boss should be able to absorb the tension arising from these problems and maintain his image.

Responsibility is the key to good supervision. The person looked up to as the supervisor should be able to take on responsibility for any and all activities performed under him. There are cases when the supervisor resigns taking full responsibility for the actions that took place under his supervision. He or she should be brave enough to take responsibility in the event of the mishap. On the other hand he or she should also share the good will obtained from a job well done. Recognition is something everyone looks for in a good job. It is the supervisors job hence to recognise and award good work.

Every supervisor is different because every person is different. Leadership , patience , courtesy composure and resposibity are just some of the few qualities that constitute a good supervisor. Similar to a problem that is solved using a compbination of techniques a good supervisor is a mix of various qualities that make him or her a winner.

That is a great pleasure and a rear fortune to have a boss you enjoy working with. Having more then ten years of working experience, I have had the opportunity to observe different kinds and shapes of bosses in real life and, therefore, can determine for myself which characteristics of my supervisor I would describe as mandatory.In short, that would be professional erudition and extraordinary people skills.

The reason why I put professional erudition on the first place is that, as far as I am conserned, the boss' deep knowlege in the particulare field of work is a mandatory detail of his characteristic. In the other worlds, the reason this particular person has been assigned to supervise others is his extraordinally professional erudition and experience.Fortunately, I have never had a boss who did not have the level of knowlege necessary to lead and supervise work of others and that was the main thing we admired him.

The next one, people skills, is as important as an erudition, because that is what the boss or the team leader supposes to do - supervise people. From his ability to motivate his team, organase its work and divide the task between the right people,depends how succesful the project will go. I have only positive experience because I was lucky enough to have resonably wise supervisors who were able to explain me the reason why I have to do my best at work.

Summarising all the above, I would like to say that the idial supervisor for me would be an person who would be able to demonstrate the combination of deep professional knowledgive and extraordinary personal skills. As far as I am concerned, this combination makes a member of the team its leader.

What are the qualities of a good supervisor? Every one of us might have supervisors during her life. We spend a lot of time with them, work for them and generally, try to make them satisfy with our work. Usually we don't have the opportunity to choose our supervisors. But what if we could? what would be the most important qualities of a good supervisor?

The first important quality of a good supervisor is that a good a supervisor should have good interpersonal relations with his employees. This includes being interested in the employees' professional work as well as in their personal feelings. Take for example the case of my supervisor, Tom. When I don't feel well because of personal troubles, Tom asks me about my feelings, trying to give me good advice that will solve the problem. I know that my personal troubles are not related to my work. Even though, it is really good to know that the person you are working for takes care about your feelings and not only about your productivity.

The second important quality of a good supervisor is that a good supervisor should correct your mistakes, trying to explain you what is the right way to implement the assignment you have. For instance, when my supervisor saw that the report I prepared was written inpropertly, he called me to his office, explained my mistakes and told me how to write it propertly. I am sure that in the next time I write such a report, I will do it propertly...

In conclusion, a good supervisor should have two important qualities: he should have good interpersonal relations with his employees and he shoud explain them how to fulfill proprtly an assignment they have. In an organization that is based on a team work ,good supervisor might mean good employees and good team always usually means good productivity.

I am a person who sincerely believes in Elton Mayo's Human Resource approach to management.Acoording to him the key assets of an organization are it's employees.
Hence I personally believe that one of the most important quality that boss should possess should be to guarantee employee satisfaction.

An organization is as good as it's employees.Hence the supervisor should have the knack of selecting the best possible employees.He should be able to identify talent when he sees it.He should create a good working atmosphere for his employees so that they can give their best.
He should also offer appropriate remuneration packages to keep his employees motivated.He should follow an open door policy wherein the employees are encouraged to come forward with their suggestions and grievances.There should not be a barrier of any sort between the employee and the boss.

The employee who is part of an organization whic follows the above policies will feel motivated to give his best which in turn will prove instrumental in the success of the organization.Mr Narayan Murthy CEO of Infosys,a software consultancy firm in India has all the above qualities.Hence his organization has been voted  the best organization in India for three years running.

A boss should also have the tactical acumen to take the right decisions at the right time.After all the success of the oragnization depends on the kind of decisions he takes.

He should also have the leadership capabilities to command the respect of his employees.He should lead by example.He should be prepared to accept his mistakes.

Thus I would conclude by saying that a boss should be a person who inspires his employees to give their 100 percent and also should be able to take the right decisions at the right time.

It's surely not so easy to be a good supervisor because you have to manage so many things and to deal with a lot of people, including your employees. In my opinion, the most important qualities a good supervisor should have are discretion, finesse and impartiality.

Since a supervisor is usually responsible for a company, project, or business, etc., he will certainly meet many difficulties and problems and require him to make correct decisions. If a supervisor has not discretion and hesitate to solve the problems, he, of course, can't deal with them well, and he maybe lose some chances of business or cause greater damage because of his hesitation.

Besides discretion, I think a good supervisor should have finesse and impartiality. Usually a supervisor will supervise several employees. It is common there is some conflict of interest among the employees. How to make the employees get along with one another well is a task for a good supervisor. Generally speaking, if a supervisor treats his employees impartially, he can reduce or avoid the conflict of interest among the employees and make them work hard. Jinny was a supervisor in my company, when there was a chance of promotion in her department, she gave the chance to a employee who worked very hard, not to her relative who also worked in her department. All employees said nothing bad about the promotion but respected her.

As a supervisor, a person has to not only do his work well, but also manage his company or team well. In order to be a good supervisor, the most important qualities he should have are discretion, finesse and impartiality.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:43:28 |只看该作者
[B]19 Should governments spend more money on improving roads and highways, or should governments spend more money on improving public transportation (buses, trains, subways)? Why? Use specific reasons and details to develop your essay.[/B]

There is an unresolved controversy what is more important for the city - convenient public transport or the well developed net of highways and roads. That is really a hard question because while each of the ways brings some advancement in the standard of leaving, it also has its own weaknesses. Nevertheless, I personally believe, that public transport is an essential part of the modern city so it has to get support from the government. I will try to prove my point by the following ideas.

Firstly, public transport decreases the amount of the vehicles on the city's roads and thus, reduces the harmful pollution. For instance, I have grown up in the big city with the population over eight million people. Fortunately, not that many people could afford the personal car back than, so we did not really have any noticeable problems with the quality of the air. But nowadays, when car became a prevalent convenience for every middle-income family, city faces a real problem. The enormous amount of the cars in the streets create traffic problems, roads in the downtown are absolutely solid during the rush hours. Apparently, the pollution of the air reached the critical point and government has to urgently find the solution. I think that public transport can significantly benefit the environment.

On the other hand, well-developed and convenient net of public transport will drastically increase the safety of the city's roads. Obviously, when the professional drivers are in charge the collisions happen not that often. Furthermore, during the rush hours, especially in the evening, when people are in a hurry to get home after the working day, they do not pay much attention to their driving. On the other hand, the professional drivers that have been trained to deal with the stress on the roads are able to concentrate better. So, more people leave their cars at the garages in the morning, less collisions we will have during the day.

Resuming the above, I would like to say that if I were the government I would pay more support and attention to the public transport's condition then that to the highways and roads. The convenient net of the public transport is able to benefit environment and increase safety on the roads. My personal opinion is that the public transport is an essential element of the modern city.   

Transportation is very important to a big city, people go to work or school rely on the public transportation such as bus, train or car every day. The convenience of transportation will have great impacts of people's life and the economic potentiality of a city. A good transportation can shorten the distance and improve the efficience.

Government know the importance of transportation to a city so they spend a lot of money in it every year. Some people think government should spend money on improving roads and highways, others think they should spend money on improving public transportation. I agree improving public transportation is more important than improving roads and highways. The reasons are public transportation can save energy and reduce pollution, besides, it is also a way to save money and sometimes faster than drive.

Improving roads and highways too much will encourage more people go out by driving cars. It might be convenient sometime but is inconvenient in rush hours. Besides, Parking is also a big problem to those who drive.

From what has been discussed above, we can draw the conclusion that improving public transportation has more advantages to people, it saves money and reduces pollutions. I think government should pay more attention on it and let people like take bus and train in their life.

Yes the government should spend more money in improving public transport facility. In country like India where people like to travel in transport facilities provided by the govt. mostly due to inability of possessing a vehicle or inconvenience of driving to place of work depend highly on these transport facilities to go to work.

Public transport forms lifeline of travelers and workers. Public transport is analogous to blood in our body. As blood constantly nourishes various parts of our body public transport provides industries and services with a fresh supply of work force to carry out it operation uninterruptedly.   
The majority of work force depends on public services for its daily conveyance to its work place be a factory or office catering to essential services. An improvement in these services on only enhances the accessibility of the place but also improves the productivity of the workplace, thus causing enhancement of socio-economic growth of the nation.

Public transport is some times the only means of transport to a remote region, the increase in trips to the region would make reach essential services like medication and healing to reach in time. This improvement of transport may improve the economic condition of the region thus accelerating the process of development of the region which would other wise have taken a longer stretch of time.

Improvement of public transport would enhance the productivity and development, as improvement of transportation would remove the tension from the person’s mind about his probability of reaching home if he missed his ride back home thus allowing him to concentrate more on his job.

Thus I would support the development in public transport rather than improvement of roads as transportation would comfort the work force who depend on it and on whom the nations development is dependent.   

All means of transportation should be kept in good conditions.  However, I believe it would be most beneficial for a country or city, if its govenerment spent more money on improving public transporattion. This would result in substantial standard of living improvements.

The volume of cars and trucks hitting the higways is dramatically rising every year. As a result, the number of traffic jams, accidents and carbon monoxide emissions are doing too.  All these factors have a detrimental effect on our quality of life.  Expanding subway lines and railroads and developing an effective plan to combine buses and subways routes, would eventually lead to a reduction in poluttion levels, less trafic jams and less stress for the people.

If subway lines reached every corner of a city, people would not need to use their cars to commute.  Less cars on the road, means less carbon monoxide emissions into the atmosphere; therefore, the air we breathe would be more pure.  Less cars also means less trafiic jams, which translates into less stress for drivers and better living conditions.

Not every country has a well developed railroad system.  Consequently, they have to rely on trucks and buses for ground transporattion of passengers and freight.  Expanding and upgrading railroad systems will result in fewer trucks and buses on the highways.  Removing this kind of traffic from the highways and encouraging the use of trains, would be another way to reduce congestion on the freeways.  The reduction of traffic, represents less maintenance costs for the government.  This surplus of money could be use for other purposes.  For example, a forest recovery program or a national campaign against pollution.

Highways, roads and public tranportation all require maintenance funds, but I think it is more important to think about the future and how to make our countries or cities better places to live in.  Improving public transportation, will help reduce traffic jams, accidents and air pollution.  A safer, healthier and more enjoyable place to live awaits for us in the future.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:47:24 |只看该作者
[B]20 It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay.[/B]

I was born in a small, quiet and peaceful village. Like other children in the village, I hope that one day I will live in a big city. Because I think that it is better for children to grow up in a big city than in the countryside. There are many advantages when living in a big city.

Firstly, the infrastructure in big city is much better than in the countryside, so the life there is more convinient. There are many highways and long, big bridges which make transportation esier. With so may transport means such as taxi, family car, bus, cyclo... it is very easy for you to go anywhere at any time. Along busy streets are tall, beautiful buildings. They are hotels, restaurants, embassies, hospitals, schools, private vila... Big schools, big hospitals equiped with modern facilities make the study and treating disease more effective. Living in big cities, children have good opportunities to learn in good schools and examine in good hospitals. In entertainment centre, there are many games to develop children' body including physical games and intellectual ones. Children can phay there after hard periods in class. In big cities, telecommunications are also completed. Children can access with new technology easily. It's wonderful to live in big city. That's reason why I wanted to stay in my uncle's house in Hanoi, capital of Vietnam, when I visited her at the children' age.

Secondly, big cities are not only economic centres but also social, cultural ones of a country. People here are active, polite, intelligent... They are always busy with their work. It's good for children to get acquainted with people like them. Children can learn more from life in big cities than in the countryside. The life is hard and difficult, so it's good to adapt to it when you are children. The life in city help children to have beautiful dream and have chance to make these dream come true.

Although there are also disadvantages in big cities such as social evils, environmental pollution, noise... living in big cities is still dream of many people. It is better for children to grow up in big cities and have weekends in the countryside enjoying fresh air than live in the countryside and rarely come to city. In brief, children can develop comprehensively when living in big city.

There is no doubt that a selection of the suitable place in which children can grow up represents an important aim towards parents nowadays.Whether childern may grow up in the countryside or in a big city is debated by many people. Some people argue that children have to grow up in the villages for many different reasons. Others believe that children may grow up in a big city for many aspects. however before one decides to support or oppose one of the above two opinion, he/she should carefully consider the all aspects and reasons concern that subject.
Children have to grow up in the countryside for many different reasons. First, the countryside contains vast green areas of fields . these fields take part in purification the air from any pollution, consequently, children can breathe fresh and healthy air.Second, Parents may not worry about thier childrem when they are playing in the farms and fields. This is because, there is no any dangerous things, such as cars, trains or uncovered electric wires that may hurt children in these fields. Third,living in the countryside may stimulate the hide tallents of children. for example,children may like to draw or paint what they see, therefore the viewing of green land may make children how to express themselves by drawing and painting.

On the other hand, children may grow up in a big city for many aspects. First, parents may want thier children to grow in the urban city to let them live in feel the prosperity and advancement of thier country second by second from the biginning of thier life. Second, living in the big city may make the growing of children so easy. For example,in the big city parents can find a suitable baby care center for thier children easily. They can also find modern schools in which thier children can go. Third, parents can find excellent hospitals in which thier childern can go if they get sick.

Even though growing it is better for children to grow up in the countryside or village for many different reasons, children may grow up in the big city for other aspects. In my own opinion, i believe that it is better for children to grow up in the big city for the following reasons. First, in the big city a mother can find easily a reliable person who loves her kids during her work outside the home. Second, living in the urban city may help children in growing in a social atmosphere. for example, in the big city there are alot of children who can paly together.In conclusion, growing of children in the big city is better than the countryside. at last, can you imagine the population density in the big city if all parents suddenly decide to leave the city and go to the countrysides to let thier children grow up there? Of course, I know your answer!!!

Some people prefer living in a big city; others enjoy residing in a small town or in the countryside.  Children usually do not have a choice and live where their parents choose to live.  Both living in a big city and living in the countryside have some advantages and disadvantages for children’s development.  In my opinion, living in a big city is more beneficial for children because it offers more choices in education, services and fun activities.

Most of us agree that education is crucial for our children.  Often, when a family reside in the countryside, there is only one neighbourhood school in the area.  On the contrary, there are plenty of educational choices in a big city: French schools, private schools, Montessori centres, and, of cause public school.

Another reason for me to believe that living in a big city is better for children is a higher level of availability of different services.  From my personal experience of living in a small town in northern Ontario I can say that it was a problem to find a dentist or family physician in the area, so we had to travel up to fifty kilometres in order to get help.

Last, but not least is that living in a big city offers a variety of extracurricular activities: sports, arts, hobby clubs, dance schools, gyms, and many more.  I strongly believe that those activities are very important for children’s development.

In conclusion, no doubts that living in the countryside have some advantages; however, in my opinion, growing children are much more benefited living in a big city.  They have more opportunities to get good education, to receive services they need, and to have quality fun time.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:51:11 |只看该作者
[B]21 In general, people are living longer now. Discuss the causes of this phenomenon. Use specific reasons and details to develop your essay.[/B]

Living a longer life has been one of the deepest desires of human beings.Life is the name of happiness,enjoyment ans sorrow,whereas death is argueably the end of all these activities.
Since a long time ,efforts have been made to make the span of human life longer.People consulted palmist and astrologers to learn about their future throughout time.

As more research was done in the medical field new information was discovered about human body which opened doors towards the research on the facts of life and death.In this way the dream of living longer has grown stronger.
Now a days we see people livig a longer and healthier life than before.This has been made possible even with all the deadly and untreatable diseases like Aids and Cancer.
However the so called "medicine of life" has not been discovered yet.But some ways to live a longer life have been identified to us.

Healthy eating:These days doctors advise us to maintain a healthy life style and to keep active as long as possible.Eating fresh fruits and raw vegetables can sut the risk of various diseases.

Exercising:People are now more aware of their physical health.In exercise clubs and gyms,older people can also been exercising besides young people which is a sign of people interest in their health.People these days are more concious about their appearence as well,since a healthy,smart and active person is more acceptable in the society.

Vitamin supplements:Vitamin supplements and fat reducing medicines have also made people to learn about their body requirements.In the field of medical science new medicines have been created which can help against certain viruses and bacterias.However their side effects are not known to the public yet.

Affordability:Another main reason as to why people live longer these days is that in old times the facilites were limited to exclusive fews.Only a fraction of people were able to afford the expenses on doctors and medicines.Now a days people are provided with basic health facilities and doctors by their governament.Good medical helps are more accessable to people now.

Considering all of the above ,the reason of a longer life is quite clear.Healthy life style and awareness of the public in eating healthy foods have played a vital role.The serene life style and security have also improved the over all condition of the life
In all retrospect,however living healthy is far more relevent than living longer in my opinion.

According to the latest statistics, the average life span of human beings is about 75-79 years old.  Comparing to that ten years ago, it has been increased by 10%.  Advancement in technology, better lifestyle and nutritional diets are the main reasons for prolonged lives.

Advancement in technology helps to bring about new methods of curing fatal diseases. Cancer used to have no cure in the last decade, but recently new methods such as X-ray treatment and various types of injections are introduced which can greatly extend the patients' lives. Advancement in technology also improves the quality of medical instuments. This lowers the risk and minimizes the possible side effects of various operations.

People nowadays are having better lifestyle than in the past.  They are more aware of the importance of heathiness.  Compulsory annual body checks help to prevent the condition to worsen and the spread of diseases.  People become more depending on their family doctors when they are sick instead of consuming medicine that is not given by their doctors.  They also learn to maintain a suitable amount of workload and take breaks in order to be healthy psychologically.  This can minimize the chances of getting the diseases that are stress related such as heart attack.

Balanced diet is not only a motto for people who are keeping fit, but also applies to the general public.  People become more aware of the choice of food.  They start to pay attention to the nutritional values of food.  This can serve as a guideline to prevent people from overeating certain types of food and ignoring the nutritional food.  It can therefore improve the healthiness of the public as a whole.  It can also reduce the chances for malnutrition and can help extend the life span of human beings.

To conclude, advancement in technology and raising awareness in healthy lifestyle help to extend the life span of human beings.  We can predict that in the future, people can live longer and healthier, and more methods of curing diseases will be introduced.

A greater number of people are now hitting the eighty-year mark than ten years ago. In fact, the life expectancy of the average human has gone up considerably, and is rising still. This phenomenon is the result of several reasons. For one, continuing scientific and medical innovation ensure that more people receive the treatment they require. As our knowledge grows regarding various diseases, we become better equipped to tackle them. Consequently, we have managed to eradicate some diseases on a global scale, while controlling the other diseases, so that the rate of mortality does not reach an alarming height during the outbreak of a disease. The plagues of yore, as well as the more recent plague outbreaks are becoming few and far in between. Such control of diseases means that the general life expectancy has gone up.

Diseases such as cancer, which used to result almost inevitably in death, are now curable, provided they are diagnosed at a certain stage. Diseases such as tuberculosis and cholera now cause fewer deaths than they used to only a few decades ago.

Another reason for the greater life expectancy is the general betterment of the quality of life. What we call the ‘global village’ is fast becoming a city. And in this city, more and more people are being provided a better level of hygiene than ever before. A better and improving system of communication ensures that the latest medical discoveries in the United States and Europe are known all over the world in a space of a few days. Therefore, more and more peeople have access to better health care. Even people living in relatively remote areas have access to some kind of medical facilities. Though these facilities may be incapable of handling a crisis, they may help prevent death in cases that require antibiotics and antivenin, thereby preventing death by infection or poison.

The increase in awareness also means that people in general are becoming more aware of the risks of various diseases. For instance, more people now, than two decades ago, are aware of the scourge of cholesterol and the havoc it wreaks on an individual’s circulatory system. Similarly people are becoming aware that prevention is, after all, better than cure and are taking the appropriate steps to prevent infection from diseases.

In general, though, the increased life expectancy owes much to the revolution in communication. It may be mentioned that even two hundred years ago, inventions and discoveries were being made. However, they did few people any good. It simply took too long to disseminate the information. The general level of awareness regarding health was also low. However, it has been noticed that since the inception of communication through first print, and then radio and television, the level of awareness regarding health has generally risen. To illustrate, print facilitated the spread of knowledge through books. Radio helped bring that knowledge to many people. Television helped to further this knowledge and disseminate is amongst an even greater number of people. And finally, the Internet has removed the final barriers between intercultural and interracial communication.

In the coming years, we may hope to see an even greater increase in life expectancy, even as communication techniques continue to improve.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:54:55 |只看该作者
[B]22 We all work or will work in our jobs with many different kinds of people. In your opinion, what are some important characteristics of a co-worker (someone you work closely with)? Use reasons and specific examples to explain why these characteristics are important.[/B]

A fairly large number of people spend  most of their time at work, which means that enjoying their job is imperative in order to be mentally healthy. A salient factor which contributes to job satisfaction is the character of our co-workers. They play a crucial role in our lives as the quality of work performed as well as our happiness depends on them.

I regard team spirit as being an essential quality a co-worker should have. One of the greatest working experience I have ever had is my telemarketing job at Microsoft. I had the opportunity to interact with people who place great emphasis on team-work. The quality of work performed was substantially improved. In addition, we took great pleasure in doing the most of our job by sharing our ideas and helping one another when in need.

Another quality an ideal co-worker should have is receptivity to new ideas. I regard inflexibility as being a drawback which can only alter the working environment. Moreover, instead of achieving progress in our work, we may have to face a deterioration of work quality, which can benefit neither of us. Conversely, someone who  neither sticks rigidously to his/her ideas nor imposes his/her views on others contributes significantly to a job well-done as well as to an enthralling work atmosphere.

In conclusion, I think that team spirit and open-mindness are two qualities of paramount importance a co-worker should have in order to add to the quality of work and to a pleasant atmosphere.

In a social system we all work in company of others.A good co worker can make workplace a lovable one whereas  a bad co worker can make it unbearable.

The most important quality, a good co worker must have is the temperament to work in a team. In todays world most works are team jobs. To make this kind of jobs one must not be selfish and self concerned, instead he/she should be patient enough to consider the views of his/her companions.He should be helping, and considerate to others people's feelings but he must not be carried away by emotions only. He should be dutiful, hard working and sincere to do his part in the job correctly in proper time. His insincerity, whatsoever trivial it may seem can spoil the work as a whole. For an example, let us consider a production unit wherer the whole process is divided in three steps. First to ensure the quality of production, second to pack the products appropriately and finally to market them. Now any negligence in part in any of the three steps will cut down upon the unit's profitability. If the quality is not considered with great care, the product may fail to reach the desired quality, resulting in the drop of sales in spite of attractive packaging and good marketing strategy. In the packaging part, if that is not done efficiently, it may not attract the prospective buyers of that product. Again, a rightly timed and appropriate market strategy should not be looked down upon as this is absolutely necessary to thrive in the cut throat competition.

Along with this qualities, I would like to be the co workers be really co operating and humorous as well. This light though relieving approach of his may help the colleagues to pacify their stress, despair and agonies and boost up the working spirit in them.

The co workers shold try helping their friends in work to rectify their faults and drawbacks through positive criticism. But he/she must, on the other hand, be careful not to be of interfering and complaining type which may unknowingly cost the peace.

I would like my co-workers to possess some if not all of the  above mentioned qualities to make my time in their company a really enjoyable and memorable one.

After finishing my studies,I will soon be entering a practical life.Iwould have to work in an office with people of different nature.An ideal worker is defined as an intelligent individual who knows the work given to him,willing to learn more ,doesn't mind extra work etc .

But,in real life such an exceptional individual is quite difficult to find.Therefore,in my mind, the image of a co-worker, I would like to work with ,should have the following qualities.

The first and formost characteristic I would expect in her is that she should be a hard worker.I have always worked hard my self and that's why I would prefer someone who loves to work hard too,in order to get the work done by mutual contribution.

Secondly,she should be fun loving.Dull and boring people are rarely competitive in  my opinion.Jolly and friendly people are mostly liked by everyone.

Third characteristic I would love to see in my co-worker would be,she must respect others.When you respect others ideas ,people tend to respect your ideas too.

My co-worker should not be racist.In todays world,people have realized that skin and features have nothing to do with one's capabilities.So she should be kindhearted and positive minded,since the environment in most big companies is multi cultural.

She should also have the quality of taking the ownership of the relevant issues.She must know what she is doing and what can be the possible consequences .She should also know the solutions of the small problems appearing in the work

Most of these qualities, I understand,can not be found in most people.As a matter of fact,I would probably have two or three of the listed above.However,if you have the choice of co-workers that will work with you,it would be great for them to have the above qualities.

I have been working for 6 months in a dental clinic.This time allowed me to meet in different ways  my co-workers. Im working with many kinds of people and I am spending a lot of time with them everyday .And now ,I know a litle bit about them.In my opinion some characteristics of   a  co-worker are help everybody in the office, good comunication , Responsability and  create a good work's atmosphere.

Helping  each others is really interesting  because you will finish fast.When Im in the office , my partner Rachel brings  me help  and we both finish in less time I think that without her help , i probably spend hours   .You can make more tasks in less period of time when somebody brings you help.Helping is a good way to meet people .  When you work with other people  is like  a team . Things won't work good if you don't share your abilities with the people around you in the office.Everybody is important to make a excellent  work.

Being responsible is the best characteristic of a co-worker  because It means that you really care  about your job and your working enviroment.Being responsible is demostrated dedication and respect for others .Therefore, everybody will have an excellent  impresion if you are responsible with your work.

In addition , when you are working you want to have a good relation with everybody in the office.Avoid talk bad or criticate about somebodyelse from the office. I dont like to work somebody who is bossy or always in a bad mood . If my coworker knows something else ,Itis good to share knowledge . I always have good attitude and open mind to learn new things. I love to work with nice people. That make me feel in excellent mood and alwayas available to enjoy my job.

For all these reasons some characteristics of my coworker are : Responsability, Nice and kind with everybody .Available to help .
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-26 23:57:42 |只看该作者
[B]23 In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.[/B]

There are two important ways to get knowledge, one is from the text book ( education), another is from experience.  Both have can contribute value to ourselves, but if you can do it at the same time,it would be the great asset to your own life.  Like in some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students, I think it is a good way to gain your knowledge and at the same time to practise it.

We can see there are lots of advantages for teenagers have jobs while they are still students.

First of all, teenagers students can learn things not only from the school but also from the socity by working.  Knowledge can be reinforced through the true life, they will know more real cases then those only discribed in the text book.  

Secondly, by practising in the real life, teenagers students can verfify what exactly the book tell them, whether there is another way to solve?  As a result, more and more inventions can be created.  Like Einstine, he practised more cases in his father's work shop while he is still a teenager student.

Thirdly, teenagers students can be more indepandant.  They can earn some money to pay their study incase their family can not afford.  Like one of my friend, he is from a little down in China and he told me he had to work to pay his tuition when he studied in the high school, and finally he succeed to apply in a famous university with full scolarship.  Actually there are lots of same cases happened in the poor region of China.  And it works well.

In short, to gain knowledge not only from the school but also from the experience by working, both of them would be the valuable asset in your teenager life.

As is known education is the most important thing for people to improve theirselves and to adapt the real life having strong abilities.In this view, many teenagers have to go on their educations while they are working to provide their education or living expenses. This case causes not desired results consequently.

Let's pretend a teenager is working in a supermarket in the evenings while he attends a schoool.Everyday he has to go to there after school so he doesn't have a chance to rest except weekends.Tiredness make him embrassed and as a result most probably he cannot be successful in his class.

Secondly, teenagers who attend their educations and also work somewhere at the same time cannot live their lives as other teenagers who just attend schools.That means education and other things like doing sports, going out for eating and watching movie or meeting friends to make some new plans are completely seperate things.If a teenager puts off one of them to a later time, this case affects other things. For instance, should a teenager is working while he is studying, he cannot meet his friends like in the past or he cannot seperate enough time to go out to do new things.As a result of this, day by day he would be obliged to choose working environment to earn money to continue his education so this undesired case make him an unsocial person consequently.

Thirdly, in the future when he got his real job after completing his education, he may feel some pressure in his mind because of the things which couldn't be done when he's teenager.For example, during some conversations with his friends in the society, most probably he cannot find interesting issues to share with his friends because he had consumed all of his life at work. As a result, which may lead to some psychological problems for him.

In short, should teenagers continue their educations, they mustn't have job for any reason.In case of working, they may not be succesfull in their educations.Morever, they cannot benefit from the opportunities of teenage term.It is fact that all kind of social solidarity and social welfare instutions should be gathered on this subject to offer teenagers some education opportunites such as scholarship to stay away from the working environmnet while they're studying.

I think it is good idea to encourage teenagers to work while the are still students. Not only does this remove inhibitions about the world out side, it also gives the person a fair view about the world out side. I enhance the discretionary ability of the individual and use it to his benefit. This exposure is beneficial as it provides the person with the ability to delegate time and job properly and thus improve the overall efficiency of the person. A person with job fairs well when it comes to a situation in comparison to those who are being funded for their studies.

Teenagers are full of zeal to prove them selves and are always in a brisk state due to the music they listen to due to hormonal activity taking place. This energy if rightly directed could be used for very use full purpose, rather than wasting it on some thing else which is futile (this being those activities in which teenagers are involved now) activities. A teenager with a job or a teenager make to support himself during his period of study learns to think and act more steadily and would not get involved in activities which may cause harm. These points are mentioned keeping in mind those people who are genuinely interested in self-improvement. These people are more erudite and calm as they were exposed to the world outside in comparison to others who do not have an experience of the sort.

Though it is inappropriate to comment that teenagers with out job are inconsiderate, lack in discretionary ability, do not analyze the situation properly, act in rash manner and so on there is a certain amount of teenagers who would be able to match the abilities of those who are working. But there is a certain amount of the teenager population, which suffer from problems that mentioned above. They is a possibility for them to stray away from their goals and they're by their future.

Money an important possession of the modern world, and they slips out of teenagers hands like water flowing from a wide mouthed bottle. This is because they don't feel the pain that goes into earning that money. If this is the attitude he would not care to spend a very heavy amount and a worth less thing. The importance of money could be taught only by making them work for their studies (only if they intend to study). This could introduce shrudeness and wise use of money as their future lies on it.

As they are exposed to the world out side and how it behaves, they would surly learn to delegate their responsibilities and provide enough time to cater to each one. This would not only improve his routine but would introduce a proper professionalism into his life. This would help him to achieve his goals and endeavors with of any help from others. This would help him choose right option at the right time and at the right place thus strengthening his self-esteem and his image among others. Working teenagers would get to know their strengths and weaknesses by them selves and would strive to fill those pitfalls.

Working for living and for studying is actually analogous to a vaccine for decease. Here community is like a decease and teenager is vaccined against the odds he has to face when he is totally all by himself. The exposure would introduce tough ness in the individual and reinforce his character for achieving pinnacle of success.

There by this would mean that students who work while studying are more experienced, tough, prepared, meticulous and prepared to meet their endeavor.

Nowadays, a lot of teens work in jobs while they are studying. Some of them really need the money they earn to compensate for their school expenses whereas others use the money they earn as pocket money. Whatever the reason for the students to work in jobs is, in my opinion, working is a great experience to all. Having a job is an important opportunity to learn about responsibilities and also teaches the teenagers to cooperate with their co-workers and enable them to understand the value of money.

To start with, working in a job gives teenagers lots of situations in which they should act responsibly, otherwise they will lose their jobs. For example, one has to wake up early if his/her working hours start at 8:00 AM in the morning, no matter how late he/she stayed up last night. Otherwise, his/her supervisor will warn him/her or may eventually fire the individual.

A second reason why having jobs as students has positive effects on teenagers is that it teaches them how to cooperate and the importance of cooperation. In a work setting usually the employees have to depend on each other on numerous occasions. When a single employee loafs, others will have to compensate for his/her workload in addition to their own tasks. Students will learn from their working experience the importance of cooperation and why every individual should effectively carry out his/her own work.

Another point is, these working possibilities enable the students to understand the value of money and that "Money does not grow on trees". After the student sees how hard he/she has to work to earn money, he/she will also be more reasonable while spending it, thus, his/her purchasing behavior will be enhanced.

In conclusion, when one has a job as a student, he/she will benefit significantly from the experience. This way, students will be more responsible when they graduate. Furthermore, they will be more cooperative, thus will be more beneficial for the companies they will be working in once they will be graduated. Finally, since they'll know better how to spend their money, they won't get into trouble due to excessive spending. All in all, having jobs as students is a terrific idea and I think every student should have a working experience before graduating and starting their professional careers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to avoid so many "his/her;" it is cumbersome.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-27 00:01:27 |只看该作者
[B]24 A person you know is planning to move to your town or city. What do you think this person would like and dislike about living in your town or city? Why? Use specific reasons and details to develop your essay.[/B]

Many people move to a new place searching for a better house, a better education, a better circumstance etc.  Also in my town there are many people who move in and move out. If someone who want advanced ones for their lives, they would like my hometown. And also my friend,  I think, does.

First of all,  we have a good public school which gives better education with well-trained teacher and good facilitates.  It is really close to my town. It takes only 5 to 10 minutes on foot to get there. Everyone who want to provide her/his children good education system would satisfy with the school.  Besides,  there are many private academical institutes which many parents in Korea want to have near their home. Both public school and private institutes would give them the good educational circumstance.

Second of all, we have  great public transportation systems.  One of them is the subway, it is near my town.  Almost everyday in the morning,  the traffic is jamed in Busan where I'm living. Due to the heavy traffic there are many people who are late for work, but the subway would get rid of the problem. And the other is the buses.  They are connected to other sites really well.  Without your own car, you can reach anywhere with the bus system. It would be good for the convenient life.

To summary,  my town is good for the people who want a well-organized education system and a convenient transportation system.  Because we have an excellent public school and private institutes for good education and great public transportation system for convenient transportation system.  I think, nearly every people would want this kind of town and also my friend does.      

As I have been living in my town, Bangkok, Thailand, since I was born. I get a depth and better understanding. Every town has both positive and negative points. Like my town, it is a capital city of Thailand. With the characteristics of Capital City, it has many advantages and disadvantages simultaneously.  

Living in a Capital City, Bangkok benefits you in several ways. One obvious reason is convenience. In Bangkok, transportation infrastructure is well provided such as skytrain, under construction subways, buses, and a modern airport. Therefore you could select any mode of transportation you prefer. More than that, you are able to find many kinds of restaurant whether Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Vietnamese, European or Thai. You can enjoy your meals in various price ranges from the lowest to the highest. For example, boat noodle that costs merely 10 Bath per bowl (1/4 of a dollar). Even in the night, if you were hungry, you could be able to buy out something to eat. Remarkably, wherever you travel, you would see people’s smile. As you know, Thailand is recognized as a smile country, so called Smile Siam. Automatically, this makes you feel like you live in your own town because of hospitality. Moreover, people in my town are not independent live. Rather, we depend on each other. For instance, when there is a festival, our neighbors would not be hesitated to give a hand with willingness.

Undoubtedly, there are some unfavorable environments. The problem of traffic jam, since my town is characterized by a warm weather, hence people do not encourage either to walk or to use bus services. Instead, they prefer to commute by their own car, this incurs unavoidable pollution problems both air and noise pollution.  Therefore, you might be under emotional and stress when travelling during rush hour. Not only that, it is crowded town due to the density of population per square kilometer. This caused by immigration from upcountry for work and money purposes. If you love to live in a peace place, my town might not be suitable for.

In sum, I think every town has some bad point like my town. Although Bangkok has some unwanted environments, it is still a lovely town to live. Since most problems are external factors that could be solved, for the internal one, people are nice and touchable. As a result, you might be as a member of my town.

I live in the city of Kolkata- the city of joy. My city is one of the four metropolitan cities of my country-India. It is a big city with a huge population. Kolkata is the city of my birth and no doubt it is my favourite city. Kolkata, like many other metropolitan cities, have a number of features, some of which will really attract newcomers while others will keep them away.

Kolkata is a city- full of life. Here, unlike any other city, people are cooperative and one can enjoy one's joy and happiness in company of others. In Kolkata, help is always available, even if one does not ask for it. This is really a unique feature of Kolkata, which makes it a different city. One can enjoy the festivals to the full extent of one's desire. During the festivals people come closer evenif they are not known to each other. It is the mood during the festivals, which brings all the Kolkatans together. Similarly, people are also available to share each other's sorrow and grief. Here, one will always find a company if he/she searches for solace and comfort. If someone is in distress people are always avalable to help hime/her whatever may be the time of the day. Kolkata is a lively city. One will not feel the liveness of Kolkata unless he or she recides here.

However, inspite of the livelyness of Kolkata, it has some features that may upset a newcomer. One of these is the crowd. The roads here are crowdy enough and also the buses on the roads. Its really difficult for a newcomer to get adjusted to these crowdy roads. To walk on these roads people have to jostle one another's arms and tramp each others feet. There is a great rush on the roads during the peak hours and a lot of traffic congestion. As a result people are always late in reaching their destinations. Here, the number of vehicles passing through the roads is greater in comparison to the number of roads available, which results in traffic congestion.

So, a person who is planning to move to my city will like all its advantages but dislike all its disadvantages. Though, Kolkata has a number of drawbacks and suffers from a lot of disadvantages, still it is my favourite city and will always be.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-27 00:04:26 |只看该作者
[B]25 It has recently been announced that a large shopping center may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.[/B]

It has recently been announced that a large shopping center may be built in my neighborhood. I am absolutely in favor of that for serval reasons.

First of all, after the economy turmoil in Hong Kong, there is a trend that people are not willing to spend much money. In case of that, having a large shopping center not only can attract shoppers in my neighborhood, but also tourists to stimulate their spendings. As a matter of fact, if more brand-name company can allocate one of their shops here, more people will come and shopping and it will boost the economy.

According to the latest survey, many people can’t find jobs, with the present of a large shopping center, more job opportunities can be offered to job-seekers, for example, sales or safety guards.

Most important of all, a large shopping center can facilitate people’s daily life. Since people can buy things conveniently, have a drink or take a good rest at cyber café located in the center, walk around with their friends at leisure, which has made shopping as a good entertainment.  

Generally speaking, it is a charming idea to have a large shopping center located at my neighborhood, therefore, I look forward to seeing the carry out of the plan.

Some people claim that a large shopping mall would bring many problems to neighborhood, since they prefer to live in a peace environment. While others, like me, fully agree to build a large shopping center in their neighborhood because of various reasons.

A large shopping mall benefits neighborhood in many areas. The most obvious benefit is convenience. Of course, people need not to commute far away from their home for buying things. They can save not only time but also money. And since a large shopping mall needs human resources in its operation therefore people who live nearby would be hired. As a result, the rate of employment would be diminished. Not only that, when people’s income have increased in turn automatically their lives are better. Undoubtedly, an investment in infrastructure such as road and utilities is necessary, neighborhood would get mutual benefits from such an improvement. Wherever department stores are located, the price of land would be naturally increased. For instance, my parents’ house initially cost only 2,00,000 bath, as soon as the shopping mall were built the cost is gradually high.

Furthermore, other business operations might be attracted by a large shopping mall which create a great variety of alternations such as hair shop, restaurants, and entertainment places. Neighbors receive advantage in term of choice abundance because a large shopping mall provides a wide variety of quality products. Nearby businesses would be positively affected. More than that, a large shopping mall could be attractive by people from other areas. Consequently, it would generate cash inflow into our neighborhood. For example, one of my friends, she always goes shopping around my home since there is not any shopping malls around her home. Thereby, petrol station is demanded for people from distant location. Finally, it could be a tourist attraction.

In conclusion, a large shopping mall is valuable either direct or indirect effects for neighborhood. Many capital city worldwide could not be prospered without the addition of shopping mall. As we can see, New York City is surrounded by many large shopping malls and attracts a large number of tourists around the world.   

My hometown, Pantai Remis, is a small fishing village located in west Malaysia. You can hardly find a shopping center there in the neighborhood. I, together with most of the residents in this town, would definitely most welcome the proposal of building a large shopping center in our neighborhood.

Nearly one half of the residents in my neighborhood have to seek for a job in big city like Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. This is because most of the youngsters in my village are reluctant to follow their ancestors’ step to become a fisherman. They wish to pursue a better job in the city. By building a big shopping center, it will surely bring up a lot of working opportunities for the community. Some can work as executives while others can work as salesperson in the shopping center.

Other than that, the establishment of a large shopping center will provide the community a more comfortable and more convenient place to shop. As the weather in Malaysia is so hot, it will be an ideal spot to go shopping for its air-conditioning environment compared to the small stuffy grocery store down the town. On the other hand, it is much more convenient to shop in large shopping center where you can get nearly most of the goods here, from veggies to undergarments, just name it.

Furthermore, the shopping center will most probably benefit the community by offering goods in better price. The shopping center will eventually exist as a main competitor to the other grocery stores and sundry shops in town. Therefore, every store will try to win their customers by lowering the price and at the same time offering better services. And the customer will certainly be the winner in this ‘pricing war’.

In a conclusion, I fully advocate the idea of building a big shopping center in my neighborhood, which will be beneficial to this small town.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-27 00:06:33 |只看该作者
[B]26 It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.[/B]

Seeing movies is one of my favorite hobbies. In my town, Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand, there are a lot of movie theaters. I like to go to see the movies at movie theaters rather than watching from Video CD because of the features of movie theaters such as sound and visual. However, in this case, I fully disagree if a new movie may be built in my neighborhood.

Movie theaters offer not only entertainment but also disturbance.  Wherever the movie theaters are located, there would be a traffic jam from people who live in distant location. Obviously, the problem of traffic jam creates many relevant problems. First of all is air pollution, which is released from vehicles. Next, noise pollution from both engine and people. Of course, when people see the movies, the nearby or in-house restaurant business would get a positive effect. Such a restaurant generates many problems. We could unavoidable bad smell from their perishable materials, cooking, and litter. Not only that, noise pollution is caused by restaurant operation as well. Most people enjoy discussion during their meal. From my experience, especially Chinese restaurant, people always make a loud noise while talking. Finally, those problems mentioned above could lead to conflicts among neighborhood. In business owner of movie theaters’ point of view, they might claim that it is a legal business operation. On the other hand, in neighborhood’s point of view, it is annoyance in daily life.

However, Movie Theater provides some benefits to neighborhood. In case that, neighbors are the movie lovers, therefore they could easily get to the cinema with little effort. Time spent in commuting would be eradicated. Then, money would be saved simultaneously. Imagine, if we run a restaurant, it would be advantageous since we are able to sell our products. More than that, the cost of land would be increased. By doing nothing, the market value of property assets is higher.

In sum, building a movie theater in my neighborhood has more disadvantages than advantages. There would be many unsolvable problems in the long run since Movie Theater is permanent construction. The only way out is whether endurance or move out.

Going to the movies is a pleasure for a lot of people and I'm one of those who are really fond of movies. When I heard that a new theater may be built in my neighborhood,I was first very excited about this idea. But after having had a good think about it, I wondered if it was really a good thing. First of all, I will focus on the reasons why I support this idea and secondly, I will move on to analyzing why I oppose this idea.

Over the past 10 years, it's abundantly clear that the seventh art has much changed. Indeed, from special effets to THX sound, we all could have seen the very progresses of the cinema. In spite of that, theaters remain the same and are getting older. As a matter of fact, it begans sometimes difficult for the audience to appreciate a movie at its real value. I mean, not only does the screen is most of the time to small, but the sound is also bad in a lot of theaters. In the case in point, it is bad in the old theater in my neighborhood. Therefore, I would say that it is a pity to see a "modern" movie in such conditions.

However, we should not forget that a theater is a place full of remembrances. For instance, a place where year after year, a lot of people have laughed, or shrilled, or cried in front of hundreds of movie, all different. Sometimes, you can see fathers who take their children in the same theater where they used to go twenty years earlier! We should bear all this in mind. So, I am in disagreement with those who think that a theater is just a place made of a screen, walls, and chairs, because it is much more than that. I strongly believe that it is made of remembrances and magic moments too.

All in all, as far as I am concerned, I agree to say that it would be a good idea to build a new theater in order to benefit from more comfort and better conditions. In the meantime, I can't help thinking that what matter most is, above all, all the remembrances kept into old theaters. To put it in a nutshell, I would say that I favor building a new theater, but I will keep on going to the older one.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-27 00:11:04 |只看该作者
[B]27 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.[/B]

I do agree with the statement that people should sometimes do things that they don't enjoy doing. And I would rather go as far as saying that they should try to enjoy things they are forced to do.

To exemplify, consider the following situations. Not all children love to study. Instead, being curious and enthusiastic, they love to explore the world around them, paying less attention to studies and more to other things. Should they be allowed to give up their studies? Certainly not. Or consider a very talented person, say a person with great academic record and excellent analytical skills trying for a job. Suppose the person is introvert but the company's recruitment process demands that he should go in through a group discussion. Should he give up because of this? I would strongly oppose his decision, if he does. Or consider a sportsperson being forced to go in for a drug test, because rules demand him to do so. The person being from a conservative background, feels uncomfortable with this. Should he give up the sport just because he is being forced to do something he doesn't like? Well, I would say no.

So, the point is that there are situations in life, when one has to do something he/she doesn't like. And not doing the thing may have a large impact on his life. So, its sometimes wise to go against one's wishes. I don't advocate that one should always go against one's wishes when he/she is forced to take such decisions. It depends upon the importance and the urgency of a situation. For instance, one might want to quit up a job that one doesn't like. He may, infact he should do so, for perpertually doing something one doesn't like makes one's life miserable. But what if there's a recession in the economy and its hard to find jobs? He, ofcourse should be careful in his decision, and it won't be unwise if he continues with his same, probably boring job.

To conclude, I would say that one should judge a situation according to its merits and make a wise decision whether or not he/she wants to do something which he/she doesn't like. Compromising once in a while is sometimes a better choice.
----------------------------------------------------------
Too many he/shes in your essay; still good though!!

?
It is our parents who are the first people that make us to do so many things we do not like. The list of all unpleasant chores is lengthy, including doing homework, helping about the house, brushing teeth, getting up early ­- I think everyone has her own specific list. However, when a child grows up, she understands that there were reasons for parents to demand all these things: doing homework helped to study well and get into college, brushing one's teeth prevented tooth decay, and helping about the house developed useful skills and prepared for grown-up life.

Most things that are unpleasant now usually promise greater rewards in the future. Studying instead of going to the cinema eventually leads to a better, more interesting and rewarding job; regular exercise brings fitness, health and a long life; eating low-cholesteral food inhibits cardio-vascular diseases; pregnancy brings a happiness of motherhood, and paying taxes brings social protection.

Doing things one does not like to do is similar to physical exercise; only it trains character, not leg muscles. Overcoming one's own laziness requires determination, giving up bad habits requires will, mastering new skills also develops intellectual flexibility, and admitting mistakes takes courage. These important personal qualities develop little by little and mostly by doing things one does not like, but has to do.

Sometimes doing something you don’t like is important in enjoying life. A person gets used both to good and bad, so with time, pleasure loses its intensity and turns into habit. Contrast refreshes feelings and returns pleasure. Doing unpleasant things makes nice things seem even nicer. Hard work makes rest desired; house chores make evening out a genuine party, a year at the office makes vacation a real holiday.

It is important to keep balance in doing things one does like and does not like. Sometimes a person gets so involved in doing unpleasant things in the pursuit of some distant goal that he loses the very talent for enjoying life. Being with family, traveling to some distant exotic place, and having a child are put off until it is too late. One needs to stop in the everyday rat race, just to look at and admire the world around him, to share several words or thoughts or jokes with his closest people, to make something with his own hands.

In short, one certainly needs to do things he does not like to do, but he still should not forget about life pleasures.

?
Because we live in a free society, people are not force to do things that they do not like. And, it is normal for people to reject to do things that are not interesting for them or can hurt them in some way. According to constitution people are free to choose almost all of their actions, to choose a job, style and place of living, hobbies and friends. However, people need to do things sometimes even they do not want or do not like to do. In my view, it is better for people to follow requirements or fulfil a task in some situations than to turn the work down, because that can bring them some positive effects in their personal or professional life or help them to build better relationships with other people.

First of all, it is important to make children to go to school and do their homework, even they refuse to do. Very often children want to skip their homework or classes because they want to do more exiting occupations, like playing computer and video games or watching movies. However, school lessons, homework, quizzes and tests are important part of education, and children has to do their studies, even they are not very exited of doing them. In fact, lessons that children learn in school help them to gain knowledge and develop their skills and abilities, which are important for understanding our society and preparing for future jobs.

Second, people need to obey some rules and follow some requirements in work place even they do not like the rules or feel that requirements are not appropriate for them. Indeed, almost every person in a corporation has his own opinion for a problem or situation. Although co-workers have different views, and sometimes they are irritated from other people's actions, they have to find a way to work well with and listen to others, otherwise they can get fired. Moreover, there are times then people do not feel like job because of family or health problems but they have to do their work, and be patient with their colleagues and clients. If they complain or excuse themselves all the time, they can destroy their own reputation or lose friends.

Third, people have to obey the law even they are against some rules. For instance, most smokers complain the prohibition of smoking in public places. However, if they smoke in these places, the police can arrest them. Moreover, there are some people who do not like people from other races or gender, or ones who obtain higher positions in the society. These people can have their own opinion but their have to behave properly in public places and do not broke the law. Otherwise, they can go to court and receive punishment of several years in jail.

In conclusion, most of the time people can do things that they want to do and enjoy doing them. However, there are some situations when people are restricted by written or unwritten laws to follow some rules and behave in a way that government, society, or people around require.

?
Every one remembers that he has done things that he did not like to do, because our life has been so arranged that it is not always possible that all people do just things, which they like to do. Because of potential benefits sometimes it is best that people do what they are not completely convenient with. So, I do agree that it is important for people to sometimes do things that they do not like to do.

When a child is grown up enough to begin to express his wishes and his wills, he will undoubtedly begin to face objections. His parents may think that what he wants is not logical or even hazardous for him. Besides a child is always made do what he does not like to do; for example, he is forced to eat what he thinks is not delicious or he is forced to be hygienic and polite. When he is older, he is forced to go to school that is one of the worst events in every child's life. In his adolescence, every child will certainly realize the benefits of these obligations. By means of these obligations he is healthy, he has learnt public relationship and he is literate. Psychologists say that children who have not faced these obligations would have several personality disorders. Even in adulthood, one may do what he does not like to do and this may be essential for his life. Consider a young man who has finished his school and is forced to do his military service. He may not like to become a soldier, but it would be his first separation from his family that can make him more convenient in his further separations. He will learn to obey what he may consider irrational but is really essential for him. There are also some fatal events that one cannot act as he likes; for example, most people do not like to kill others but a soldier should kill the enemy or he would be killed. Some times people should do things that they do not like to do because there is no other way; for instance, a clerk may dislike his job but unable to find a better job. My own experience shows me that when a person does things that he does not like to do, he would become stronger in his real life events and he would not get upset in his difficulties.

Human life especially our modern life has many aspects that are not completely desirable for us so that we are all obliged to do things that we do not like to do but in some cases we will later understand their benefits. There are also possible unpredictable events in our daily life that require special power to cope with; like wars, earthquakes, etc. It is well known that people who have faced obligations would be much stronger in such events so it is important for people to do things that they do not like to do.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子