寄托币
注册时间
2007-3-10
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2007-8-23 22:41:16 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
TOPIC: ISSUE221 - "The chief benefit of the study of history is to break down the illusion that people in one period of time are significantly different from people who lived at any other time in history."
WORDS: 550          TIME: 0:45:00          DATE: 2007-8-23

I agree that people in one period of time are similar to people who lived at any other time in history. However, I do not agree that it is the chief benefit of the study of history, since from the study of history, we can also find our tradition and identity, and we can learn a lot from the great individuals in the history.

I concede that from the study of history, we know that people in different times are very similar because human nature does not change a lot after so many years. From ancient times until now, the human nature of aggression, desire do not change, which causes wars and collisions from time to time, record in the history studies. The emotions and feelings of human also do not change. The modern people are also suffered from the failure in jobs, love affairs, excited when they make great success, just as the ancient people did. In this sense, I agree that from the study of history, we get the idea that people in different period are very similar.

However, there are still many benefit of the study of history, and they are more significant than breaking down the illusion mentioned above.

Firstly, although human nature do not change a lot, human beings get a lot of experience and knowledge from the study of history which prevent many people from committing the same mistakes. For instance, having known the miserable lives of people during the two world wars, people nowadays ask for a more peaceful life, and that is why so many people say "no" to the recent Iraq war. Thus, one of the essential benefits of the history studies is to prevent people from making the same mistakes.

Secondly, from the study of history, the greatness and good characteristics of some individuals are recognized, so that many people can learn from their lives. Many children or young people form their future ideal after reading the stories of great individuals. From the study of history, we know that the famous individuals achieve success  because they have some great characteristics that different from the ordinary people. One of my good friends admire Einstein very much. Having learned from the stories of Einstein, she know that to be a great scientists, one has to be intelligent, diligent, and dare to question the established ideas.

Thirdly, people in certain culture get their sense of identity from the study of history. The traditional rituals and ceremonies of the culture, the history of the nation let the people in the culture feel proud of themselves. When people in the society recognize that they share the same history, they are more likely to be solitary. Because they know that they are in a culture group, different from other groups in the world. The different ethnic groups in the U.S. have their own history. From their history studies, they identify themselves from other groups and have the clear ideas of who they are and where they are coming from.

In conclusion, although breaking down the illusion that people in different period are similar is one of the benefits of the study of history, I claim that it have other significant benefits such as the providing experience, educating young people, and forming the identity of one group.

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-4-24
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2007-8-23 23:25:57 |只看该作者
感觉你的文章读起来已经很舒服了,不知为啥自己总找不到感觉,前两天你帮我拍过作文的,对我启发挺大的,再帮我看看这篇吧,还有一周就考了,急啊!不知该从哪改进。
谢谢你!祝你好运!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-4-24
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2007-8-23 23:26:45 |只看该作者

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-3-13
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2007-8-23 23:34:58 |只看该作者
原帖由 <i>菲子</i> 于 2007-8-23 22:41 发表<br />
TOPIC: ISSUE221 - "The chief benefit of the study of history is to break down the illusion that people in one period of time are significantly different from people who lived at any other ti ...
<br />

The second world war.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-10-29
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-25 18:05:36 |只看该作者

TOPIC: ISSUE221 - "The chief benefit of the study of history is to break down the illusion that people in one period of time are significantly different from people who lived at any other time in history."

WORDS: 550          TIME: 0:45:00          DATE: 2007-8-23

I agree that people in one period of time are similar to people who lived at any other time in history. However, I do not agree that it is the chief benefit of the study of history, since from the study of history, we can also find our tradition and identity, and we can learn a lot from the great individuals in the history.

I concede that from the study of history, we know that people in different times are very similar because human nature does not change a lot after so many years. From ancient times until now, the human nature of aggression, desire do not change, which causes wars and collisions from time to time, record in the history studies. The emotions and feelings of human also do not change. The modern people are also suffered from the failure in jobs, love affairs, excited when they make great success, just as the ancient people did. In this sense, I agree that from the study of history, we get the idea that people in different period are very similar.我觉得这是题目的主要讨论点,是不是太单薄了?其他的都在分析chief一词了。不过这个题目确实只能这样展开。

However, there are still many benefit of the study of history, and they are more significant than breaking down the illusion mentioned above.

Firstly, although human nature do not change a lot, human beings get a lot of experience and knowledge from the study of history which prevent many people from committing the same mistakes. For instance, having known the miserable lives of people during the two world wars, people nowadays ask for a more peaceful life, and that is why so many people say "no" to the recent Iraq war. Thus, one of the essential benefits of the history studies is to prevent people from making the same mistakes.Secondly, from the study of history, the greatness and good characteristics of some individuals are recognized, so that many people can learn from their lives. Many children or young people form their future ideal after reading the stories of great individuals. From the study of history, we know that the famous individuals achieve success  because they have some great characteristics that different from the ordinary people. One of my good friends admire Einstein very much. Having learned from the stories of Einstein, she know that to be a great scientists, one has to be intelligent, diligent, and dare to question the established ideas. Thirdly, people in certain culture get their sense of identity from the study of history. The traditional rituals and ceremonies of the culture, the history of the nation let the people in the culture feel proud of themselves. When people in the society recognize that they share the same history, they are more likely to be solitary. Because they know that they are in a culture group, different from other groups in the world. The different ethnic groups in the U.S. have their own history. From their history studies, they identify themselves from other groups and have the clear ideas of who they are and where they are coming from.In conclusion, although breaking down the illusion that people in different period are similar is one of the benefits of the study of history, I claim that it have other significant benefits such as the providing experience, educating young people, and forming the identity of one group.

使用道具 举报

RE: Issue221 没剩几天了,互改留链。。。 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
Issue221 没剩几天了,互改留链。。。