注册时间
2009-12-17
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-10-7 20:44:39 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 tingsnowy 于 2010-10-7 20:52 编辑

Admittedly, children's socialization today is playing an increasingly crucial role inshaping our society, and perhaps this trend will dominate the world ceaselessly. However, I believe the speaker has in fact exaggerated the value of socialization. Also, to claim we humans have not learned how to raise children who benefit a better society is too negative in respect of human history.

To begin with, I personally understand people's highly praise of their well-socialized children. Since science and technology has advanced our life to a level no generations have achieved, the whole society is knit together for the purpose of efficient work and better communication. Therefore, it calls for today's individuals to be fully involved in a social web and work as gears in a machine. This may explain why children are encouraged to engage in study groups, clubs and cliques immediately after starting school life. As a result, any glorious future - a lucrative job, an ideal husband/wife, fame - seems to spring from whether they are perfectly socialized or not.

However, this special focus on "how to fit in" has given rise to over-emphasis on children's capability to socialize. In schools, academic grade sometimes gives way to various parties and balls. Students are cutting their learning time and wasting their parents' money for catching current fashion in order to become more appealing in those parties. As a result, children nowadays are too young to confront such temptations from society, their well-beings might be harmed by this process.

Actually, other criteria (e.g. intellectual development, health, moral character, sense of responsibility) are of equal - maybe more- importance than socialization. Virginia Woolf, for example, was never be really perfectly socialized since she suffered a nervous breakdown all her life. And Helen Keller, who was disabled by birth, seldom enjoyed social activities in her childhood either. Nevertheless, both of them became famous writers and made difference to humankind. Woolf is acknowledged as the greatest woman writer in 20th century, and Keller incredibly brought the voice of the disabled to the common. It is not their childhood socialization, but their intellect and strong ambition that help their achievement.

As for thespeaker's second assertion concerning whether could we learn how to raisechildren for a better society, in my observation, history will absolve us. It reminded me of what our grandfathers had learned before, that they must despise women, for they were inferior to men, and loathe colored people, for they deserved it, and declare wars for the gold's sake. However, these learning have been changed as time goes by. Now we are taught that women have the same social equality as men, that African Americans are our brothers and sisters, and that nothing is more worthwhile than peace. Furthermore, our governments have established a social welfare system to guarantee the rights of the disadvantaged, not to mention international communication and cooperation among nationsare becoming more and more frequent and efficient. All these facts prove that our generation has been taught to serve a better society, so will be our descendants.

In the final analysis, perhaps no one even our governmental leaders could tell whether a coming society is to look better or worse, while since we have looked back to our past, I am inclined to embrace a positive belief rather than a negative one. In conclusion, I believe there are many factors that work as whole to determine the destiny of society. And the children should focus on not only their socialization but their academic excellence and other capabilities if they are to bring a better society.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2010-10-9 01:03:28 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Luise8891 于 2010-10-10 23:25 编辑

我先不贴出来,我再改后,再贴。