注册时间
2011-12-3
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-2-4 10:40:57 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
老G的157,题目如下
157. The following is a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.
"As a local merchant, I wish to support the development of a ski resort in the state park north of our township. Along with many other merchants who favor the proposal by Ski the Slopes, Incorporated, I would , of course, experience a growth in my business. But I also know how much more prosperous, not to mention lively an interesting, our community would be if tourism increased. Since the main opposition comes from a few environmentalists who do not even live in this community, I see no reacon to give in to their views. The first National Bank has finally researched the project and agreed to fund it. As a result, I see no reason to delay development of the resort."

我的小文:
It might seem logical and reasonable to agree with the letter to the editor of newspaper that a new ski resort should be built for improvement of the city. However the merchant does not make a cogent argument for the new ski resort. In order to make that determination, we need to know more then analyze what we learn.
The first piece of evidence that we need in order to fully evaluate the argument is the exact number of merchants who would favor the proposal. The word "many other" cannot prove that enough merchants would like that plan. The proportion of whole merchants in that city may be so low that the author  overemphasizes the importance of constructing a new ski resort. To strengthen his/her argument,the author would benefit from  implementing a norm survey asking a wide range of merchants whatever their business are.
Second piece of evidence that would help us to evaluate the argument is the information whether or not there will be enough tourists to come to the new ski resort. The author provides no evidence that there would be enough tourists so that  the cost of building the new ski resort will be covered. Even though it may be true that new tourists would improve the local economy, the increase of house price and inflation will largely weaken the advantages of a new ski resort. A survey among all residents in that city should be made to learn whether or not it's necessary to turn their town into a tourist city. Additionally, the author argues that the environmentalists are wrong just because they don't live in this community. However, those environmentalists are proved to be neutral because they live far from this community. Moreover, a convincing argument to the environmentalists should be made based on ecological factors.
Another piece of evidence that would help us to evaluate the argument is the details about interest that The First Nation Bank would provide. It would definitely weaken the argument that a new ski resort should be built if the interest is unbelievably high, like 10%. Besides, when the bank would fund the plan is unknown. Therefore, many difficulties may lie on process when the plan is carried out.
A beautiful ski resort might be a good place to provide tourists with entertainment body-building. However, the merchant's argument cannot persuade the government to build a new resort effectively.

一个人应该给自己留下足以令自己热泪盈眶的回忆
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-12-3
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2012-2-4 10:51:53 |只看该作者
麻烦大家了~