注册时间
2005-1-23
精华
帖子

Taurus金牛座 荣誉版主

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-3-10 14:20:05 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Most students aren't required to choose a major until their junior year of college. But no matter how far along you are in college--or even high school--chances are you've been stressing at least a bit about what to study. You've likely been asking yourself important questions, like "What type of classes will I have to take?" "What kind of job can I get after graduation?" and "Is this a subject I actually like?" Avoid major stress with these tips.

[B]Get some core help[/B]
"Core classes give each student a common base of knowledge and skills that are important and crucial for [all] students," says Reverend Richard Hockman, a professor of effective oral communications at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. More importantly, he adds, core classes will help you discover your interests. "They present students with an overview of areas--ones they might consider for a major."

Take Stacey Preambo, for instance. During her sophomore year of college, she was undecided about her major until she took "Storytelling and Fairy Tales," a course which required the class to be on TV. After spending a day at a local station, Stacey decided to pursue a career in broadcasting.

"Seeing the people at work in the editing room showed me how much goes into producing a show," she says. "I finally knew what I wanted to do. I did some research and decided to major in mass communications. I have a core class to thank for that."

On the other hand, you'll also have some elective credits to play around with at college, perfect for testing other areas that may not be part of your required core. Perhaps you think photography may be your calling. You won't know until you take a class. One great thing about college is that there are so many options available to you.

[B]Other options[/B]
Perhaps your problem is that you're torn between two very distinct areas of study. Luckily, if you plan your courses the right way (with a little help from your adviser), you may be able to graduate with a double major or with a major and a minor field of study. Some colleges even offer students the opportunity to create their own major through independent study. Discuss your options with your academic adviser.

[B]How important is your major?[/B]
The answer really depends on your intentions once you graduate college. For example, if you plan to attend graduate school for biology, there may be requirements and prerequisites that would necessitate majoring in biology or a closely related field. On the other hand, law schools and even medical schools admit students with a variety of majors.

The important thing to remember when choosing a major is to pick something in which you have clear aptitude and interest, and one where you can develop skills that can be adapted to the workplace. For instance, majoring in English might not set you on a specific career path, but it will help you master your writing and research skills, which can later be applied in any number of fields. Then again, if you want to become something specific like an accountant or a pharmacist, then naturally you should major in accounting or pharmacy.

[B]Be resourceful[/B]
Take advantage of career centers and libraries at your school to do some major research. The College Board Book of Majors, for instance, offers brief descriptions of each major and lists every college that offers them. If it's future employment that has you concerned, conisider picking up College Majors Handbook with Real Career Paths and Payoffs. In it, you'll get real statistics on job trends, earnings, and the employment experiences of real college graduates.

You should also speak with students who are currently pursuing the major you're considering. Find out which courses they've taken and if they've had the opportunity to get hands-on experience through internships. Better yet, visit some professors during office hours to ask about their subjects. Professors often work outside academia in their fields, so they can give you valuable insider tips.

Most importantly, do not jump into a major just for the sake of choosing one. Be inquisitive, take a variety of courses, and follow your instincts.

-- by The CollegeBound Network
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?立即注册
Reaching soul
As time pass
Hearing voice
On the magic cross
Creating interface
Through finger touch
Searching peace
In cyber space
Hunch is stylish
Above superficies
Life is synchronous
In between balance
It is for you …
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-9-5
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2005-3-10 21:42:35 |只看该作者
law schools and even medical schools admit students with a variety of majors   .      Amazing!

I was wondering if a finance student could apply for accounting major?>Thanks
我们的目标是:快乐英语!
我们的口号是:不求最好,但求最精!
我们的期望是:让批评来得更猛烈些吧!

友情提醒:1.转载请注明出处.谢谢!   2.新手请看置顶帖

点击进入寄托雅思版

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-5-29
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2007-6-27 12:51:09 |只看该作者
I think you could, and link to some relative web site to find more instruction:)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-6-19
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2007-7-4 13:46:28 |只看该作者
I am a postgraduate of marine engineering, and as a student instructor of the colleage at the same time, I wonder if I could apply for a public administration major?!  Thanks

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2007-8-5 15:42:15 |只看该作者
thank you

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币