精华
帖子

Scorpio天蝎座 荣誉版主 挑战ETS奖章 QQ联合登录

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-5-4 15:21:40 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
PS范例——MSE in Environmental Engineering
http://cn.oversea.yahoo.com/030102/255/1egif.html

I plan to pursue an M.S.E. degree in Environmental Engineering with an emphasis in water quality control engineering. Ever since I was 16 years old, I knew I wanted to be an environmental engineer. When I obtain my B.S.degree in May, that dream will be fulfilled. However, I still feel I have so much more to learn about the field of water quality engineering. The pursuit of an M.S.E.itself will garner more knowledge. But equally important is the flexibility and mobility such a degree allows me in the workplace. Companies offer higher educated employees more opportunities to explore and expand the breadth of their expertise. I want to be able to continue learning throughout my career. My learning experience at the University of Illinois was a rich one. After the first two years of prerequisites and general requirements I was ready to truly begin pursuing my "chosen path." I knew after my first introductory environmental engineering class that I was in the right field and my dream would become reality. While I found air quality and solid waste management interesting, it was water quality that truly stimulated my interest. After a variety of classes regarding water quality processing, ecotoxicological modeling in receiving waters, hydro-systems, groundwater modeling, etc., I realize I need to learn more. Water is the most important natural resource a vital area can have and maintaining its quality is as intriguing as it is important. I have had an opportunity to assist in research to improve wastewater quality. I am an undergraduate laboratory assistant for a doctoral student, Christian Greenfield, who is researching the chemical modification of ac tivated carbon. The work I'm performing involves the systematic variation of the chemistry on activated carbon by exposing granular, powdered, or fibrous carbon samples to a series of reagents and temperatures in order to vary the acidity, basicity, or nitrogen content of those samples. While performing the usual duties of buffer preparation, glassware cleaning, errands, etc., I have also performed activation runs, surface area and pore size distribution analyses, and adsorption analyses. This project has broadened my understanding of water chemistry, carbon's physical and chemical properties, the experimentation process, and the life of post-secondary students! I am fully aware of the hard work and time necessary to make a project successful. I am ready to begin the life of a graduate student. I hope to become a research assistant to improve my knowledge of water quality beyond course work. I believe the University of Michigan, which provides great facilities, employs notable faculty, and possesses a distinguished reputation is the next step in the pursuit of my dream.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-2-13
精华
帖子

Scorpio天蝎座 荣誉版主 挑战ETS奖章 QQ联合登录

沙发
发表于 2006-5-5 11:43:22 |只看该作者

take seat for remark