注册时间
2005-4-26
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2007-3-17 23:22:04 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
写作文越来越没感觉,迷茫中:( ,希望有G友拍醒我。

TOPIC: ISSUE38 - "In the age of television, reading books is not as important as it once was. People can learn as much by  watching television as they can by reading books."

According to the title statement, the speaker seems to suggest that nowadays television is replacing book gradually as a tool people learning knowledge. Although many people may embrace this idea wholeheartedly, I have my reservation. While I agree that television is playing a more and more important role in modern society, I insist that reading books is also a indispensable way to learn something. What I mean is television and book has different functions to help people receive information of different types.

First, comparing with book, television has its own advantage. In so-called information era, there are numerous pieces of news generated everyday. And this news is transmitted fast to everywhere. Obviously, television as a news carrier can be perfectly competent for spreading instant information. But book cannot do it well. It is ridiculous that we write some news into books and then publish them to tell people what has happened before half a year. If we do that, this news is not news ever. In another aspect, information, which is provided from television, is more vivid and particular than which is provided from book. In other words, television can provide visual and acoustical information, but book just let readers imagine something written in it. Let us take Olympic Games for an example. Since television was invented, people all round the world have watched each Olympic Games through it. Because of television people can see the Games with their own eyes and share cheer or cry after win or lost lively. Admittedly, these functions of television in transmitting news and entertainment are unique that book cannot have.

Secondly, although television seems to be characterized more dominant than book in the above paragraph, I do not mean book can be replaced. I pointed out that book also has unique functions that television cannot have. When we learn some knowledge such as physics, chemistry and literature, we use books. I think the reason is that book is more convenient for students to take them to classroom and read them. It is difficult to imagine that some students take televisions to classroom every day. In addition, students can put down some notes in books, but them cannot do it in televisions. Besides this function, book has another advantage that it can contain large quantity of information. For instance, human history of thousands of years is written in books. In China, there is a great book named Shiji that record .It is limited for television to record a long term of history. What television can show is just some short-term stories of history. But book is outstanding in this aspect. In China, there is a great book named Shiji records about three thousand years history from Huang emperor to Hanwu emperor. This book is a huge miracle that television is impossible to complete that. Obviously, these functions of book in education and recording history are unique that television cannot have.

In sum, it is very likely that people will never be able to arrive at the same conclusion on this controversial issue. However, taking into account all the dimensions discussed in the above analysis might be a decisive step out of this dilemma. Television and book has different advantages and different disadvantages. People utilize them in different ways. And they are both useful information carriers.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-4-26
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2007-3-18 04:48:40 |只看该作者
自己顶

使用道具 举报