寄托家园留学论坛

标题: issue138 限时不成功 急啊 [打印本页]

作者: qisaiman    时间: 2010-3-1 20:52:57     标题: issue138 限时不成功 急啊

ISSUE138 qisaiman- "Only through mistakes can there be discovery or progress."
WORDS: 600
TIME: xxx
DATE: 2010-2-28 23:12:00

The speaker asserts that mistake is the only way leading to discovery or progress. However, I cannot share this opinion. I will argue that mistake is not a panacea for discovery or progress. It is the scientific research and political advance that bring us to where we are today.

A brief look back at the history illustrates that we human beings did bring many progress in both scientific disciplines and social realms, such as increased lifespan and reduced infant mortality, more opportunity for education, growing concern for the less advanced people and shorter work time. Of all the motives for these progresses, scientific discovery serves as an essential reason since it has enhanced the productivity of mankind to a level never saw before. The medical research spectacularly improves the health condition. Physical and mathematical study brings us with computer and the modern communication approaches, by which we have access to the information in an unprecedented speed and quantity. And the modern transportation tools, including vehicle, airplane and space shuffle, enable us a greater expansion to space in a significantly reduced time.

Admittedly, mistakes do exert grand influence in the scientific research. It is worthy to note that when we refer to mistakes, it does not necessarily mean that it is entirely wrong. Actually, the science history has told that it is more than a process of gradual approaching to the truth. As the scientific method indicates, we first propose a hypothesis to explain the known phenomenon and predict the unknown one. Then, to verify the hypothesis, specific experiments are designed and carried out. In the end, we may obtain data or just observe the result to examine the hypothesis. If it stands up to the experiment, it is deemed as a theory until there is further evidence suggesting otherwise; if not, we have to look for another possible explanation. The debate on the nature of light aptly demonstrates my points. First, Newton proposed a particle theory to explain the direct propagation of light. While this theory failed when the double slot refraction phenomenon was observed, which had been believed as an indispensable feature of wave. Then there was a wave theory of light. However, the later one cannot provide convincing explanation to other features of light. Finally, we come to the quantum theory which reconcile the two inadequate theories. Here the mistakes stem from an inadequate understanding to the objective law, and by employing the scientific method, we attain a more comprehensive perception to the light, thus lead to numerous discoveries that benefit us today.

However, in a narrow meaning of progress, the mistake is not necessary requisite. My personal experience can tell much. First, progress can indicate some less impressive gain as discussed above. For example, we find another alternative method to facilitate daily life, it can be regarded as progress too, or more clearly, an innovation. Nowadays the human being sometime acts as somewhat multi-task system. I am often required to handle several things simultaneously. With the increased routines, I may discover other alternative way which can bring more efficiency. Then I turn to this way and make a small yet remarkable progress. Does this have anything to do with mistakes? I am afraid not. Here the progress just means a more reasonable approach, from the inefficient one to efficient one.

Furthermore, when it comes to the social progress, it should be attributed to the growing awareness of citizenship, democracy and law. Historical and social research has long revealed that technology itself cannot guarantee a social progress, and it is the appropriate social environment that transforms the technological advancement into the well-being of public.

In conclusion, not all mistakes promise an opportunity to progress. The enduring impetus of our betterment lies in our unyielding hope to a better life and pursuit to the happiness.

欢迎光临 寄托家园留学论坛 (https://bbs.gter.net/) Powered by Discuz! X2