寄托币
注册时间
2009-2-7
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-8-9 22:26:36 |显示全部楼层
题目:ISSUE184 - "It is a grave mistake to theorize before one has data."
字数:579          用时:00:44:28          日期:2009/8/9 22:26:21

Well, with the technology and science developing rapidly and hugely, we have more and more theories than before. Someone claims that if a theory didn't have enough and precise data, this theory was grave mistake. As far as I am concerned, I partly agree with this point when the theory relate to some application realms, but I think the even a theory didn't have enough and precise data, it also may be useful.

First of all, I have to explain that how the theory was created and what is the function of data in the theory. As we known that, the theory was defined as the results of the researches.  It can predict the similar conditions or situations in the future. Also, people could recognize the relevant fields through the theory. To create a theory, people need research a lots of situations and phenomenon and find the interrelationship among them. In some realms, from my perspective, like the chemistry, physics, math and other basic subject, which can be defined as a math model, data is very significant part in the related researches. The data could inflence even determine the final results of the research. Like the famous E=mc2 which is called the mass-energy equation by Einstein, if this theory didn't have enough and precise data to support it, I think it would little credible and make no one convince it. In other hand, in some abstract fields or social subject, data may not act as the same important. In those area, the main function of those researches is to find out the rule to predict, define and explain the phenomenon and situation, the function of data in those fields is to support the conclusion in some extent because humans could not calculate out the precise data. For example the research of human's mental world, we could not have a precise math model to define the spirit, so that we have to investigate a group of people to find the answer, although this answer without enough and precise data, it also have a representative in some extent. To some up, the demand of data for theory in different realms is not same.

Moreover, are these hypothesis is a grave mistake just because they have no data to support? In my opinion, I disagree this point. As I mentioned above, in some social and abstract fields, the data is not very important to the theory. In this area, the theory is based on the law of the interrelationship among the objects. This law could not easily define as a math model so that we could have data to support the theory. But as I see, those hypothesis is also very important to our society and civilization, they can conclude the same situations which is caused in our contemporary society. In the most time, the hypothesis is act as a predicting tools for us. We can use it to avoid some social problems or recognize the humans' spirit world. Like the Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it didn't have any data to support it. But it define the demand of humans clearly and accurately. Thus, I think even the hypothesis have no data to support it, it also very important to our society.

To sum up, the data for theory in different areas have different functions, also the hypothesis is very important to our comtemporary society, we could not think that if a theory have no data it would be a grave mistake.

使用道具 举报

RE: 0910G[Splendid Sun]终极冲刺 BY CMGS [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
0910G[Splendid Sun]终极冲刺 BY CMGS