2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-11 22:58:07 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-12 15:28 编辑

The ninth day -- translation

怎么翻译数字,百分比,和统计在Argument话题中

一些辩论包括数字,百分比,或者统计学,被提供为证据来支持辩论的结论。例如,一个辩论可能声称,一个确定的社区事件变得不那么流行相对去年来说因为今年只有100个人参加了而去年有150个人,一个百分之33的下降在出席率上。记住你没有被问去做一个数学的任务关于这些数字,百分比和统计学。相反,你应该评估这些作为证据,那些意图证明这个结论。在上述例子中,结论是一个社区事件变得不那么流行。你应该问你自己:是否100人和150人之间的差距能支持这个结论?记下它,在这个事件中,有其它可能得解释;例如,天气可能比去年糟糕,今年的事件可能被举行在一个不合适的时间,这个事件的费用可能有所上涨,或者可能有一个其它的流行的事件同时举办。每个都可以解释这个出席率的差距,因此可以说明结论站不住脚。相似地,百分比可能支持或者削弱一个结论依靠真实的数字百分比代表的。考虑这个声称,鼓俱乐部在一个学校值得更多的资金因为他的会员被增加了100%。这个100%的增加可能很重要如果那原来有100个会员,现在有200个会员,然而这个增加可能不重要如果原来有5个会员,现在有10个。记住任何数字,百分比,或者统计在辩论的话题中被用来仅仅作为证据来支持一个结论,你应该总是考虑他们是否真的支持这个结论。

你回复的形式
你可以自由组织和发展你的批评性文章以任何方式你认为有效地交流你的分析关于这个辩论。你的回复可能,但是不必须,不符合特别的写作策略在英语写作课或者写作强度学院课程上学到的那样。GRE读者将寻找一个特别的发展策略或者写作的模式。事实上,当被训练为GRE读者的教师,他们看成百上千的文章,尽管在内容和形式上高度不同,展现相似的批评思维和分析写作的等级。读者将看,例如,一些文章在6分档,开始通过一个简短地总结辩论然后详述,发展主要的批评性文章的观点。读者知道一个作者可能得一个高分通过分析和发展一些观点在一个批评性文章中或者辨认一个中心的错误在一个辩论中,深度发展。你可能想看一些例子,特别是5分和6分的,看看其他作者是怎么成功发展和组织他们的文章的。

你应该做选择关于格式和组织,你认为支持和增加整个文章的有效性。这意味着使用尽可能多的或者尽可能少的段落,作为你考虑适合的批评性文章。例如,创造一个新的段落当你的讨论转变到了一个新的分析观点。你可能想组织你的批评性文章关于辩论自己的组织,讨论这个辩论一条一条地。或者你可能想首先指出一个中心的质疑的假设,然后移动讨论有关的错误在逻辑链中。相似地,你可能想用一些例子如果他们帮助你阐述一个重要的观点在你的文章中或者推动你的讨论(记住,然而,就你的能力而言,来表现Argument任务有效地,它是你的批评性思维和分析的写作,不是你想出例子的能力,被评估的)。重要的不是你回复采用的形式,而是你怎么具有洞察力地分析辩论,和你怎么精确地表达你的分析对一个学术的读者在你的上下文中。

样例
医院统计人们滑旱冰出事故以后去急诊室暗示需要更多的保护设备。在这些人中,75的人在街上或者停车场出事故,没有带任何保护设施(头盔,护膝等等)或者任何反光材料。清晰地,这些数据指出通过调查一个高度保护的齿轮和反射的装置,滑旱冰的人将大大地减少他们严重受伤的风险。

这个话题的策略
这个话题引用一个特别的医院的统计来支持通常的结论--调查高质量保护的齿轮和反光镜设备可以减少受伤的风险在滑旱冰中。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-12 15:30:55 |只看该作者
The tenth day -- something I wrote about the movie Mary and Max

Maybe I was Mary. One day, when I watched at the mirror, I found that I look like Mary, especially that hairpin and the hairstyle. Our feeling is the same some time, even the hobbies, psychology. But, fortunately, I don't feel alone. I can talk with lots of friends in a variety of topics, whatever I like. Under the complicated circumstance, soul mate is really hard to find one.
  I don't know why a Chinese poem is translated into 'nostalgia is a disease'. When we meet someone, we can't find anything wrong, we can talk, although only in some easy thing. However, when you two get along after a period, how can you keep the same feeling just like the beginning? During the time, you may found that he or she has some faults in doing something that may hurt you, you may discover that he or she has some bad habits that you could not stand, or you may even realize that he or she is not totally that guy you have ever thought. Disappointed, depressed, and despondent. Or maybe, even though you found that he or she is the right one who you are looking for a long time, which is really wonderful, how could you ensure that you will not find his or hers warts and all after several years and how could you accept those one hundred percentage?
  It is Mary and Max that told us that the reason we should forgive that guy is because he or she is not perfect. You are imperfect, either. All humans are imperfect, even those beggars on the streets and an overpass.
  So, I forgive you although it really takes some time to put them down.

PS Hopefully, one day our sidewalks will meet.
  PPS I really like the movie although a lot of friends don't.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-12 18:19:23 |只看该作者
The tenth day -- translation

在发展你的分析的时候,你应该问你自己是否医院的数据真的能支持结论。你可能想问自己这样的问题:
滑旱冰的多少百分比去了急诊室在滑旱冰事故以后?
那些滑旱冰出事以后的人去了急诊室的是否代表了滑旱冰的人?
有没有人滑旱冰受伤以后没有去急诊室?
滑旱冰的人去了急诊室的是不是严重受伤的?
25%的滑旱冰的人带了保护装备受伤是否跟75%没有带保护装备的人一样严重?
街道和停车场是否比其它地方更危险?
中等质量的装备是否会和高质量的装备一样有效在减少受伤危险方面在滑旱冰的时候?
有没有其它因素例如天气条件,可见度,技能,与滑旱冰受伤的风险更有关系?

考虑可能的答案关于这些问题将帮助你辨别假设,相对的解释,和缺点,你可以发展你的批评性文章。

6分样例
保护装备可以减少受伤的观点第一眼看起来好像是一个明显的结论。毕竟,它是专注的这些产品来阻止事故发生或者减少穿戴者受伤。然而,这个结论调查高质量的保护措施大幅减少受伤的风险可能掩盖了其它的受伤原因和可能激励人们去调查经济地和物理地在保护设备上。

首先,如辩论中提到的,有两种不同的设备-阻止的设备(如光反射材料)和保护的设备(如头盔)。阻止的设备是为了警告其它人,很可能对于大多数开车的人,滑旱冰的人的存在。它起作用仅仅当其他人是具有责任感的,关心那些将承担滑冰者必要的空间和关注的个体。保护的设备是为了减少任何事故的效果,无论是被一个其它的因素引起的,滑冰者或者一些自然的力量。保护的设备起着很小的,作用来阻止事故发生但是是被假定减少在事故中的伤害的。受伤的数据可能是更有意思的如果滑冰者是一组组的分为没有带任何设备,那些仅带保护设备的人,那些仅带阻止设备的人和那些都穿了的人。这些数据可能提供滑冰者一个更清晰的理解关于什么样的设备更有效。

上述辩论被削弱通过事实它没有考虑相关的差别在穿了保护装备的人和没有穿的人之间。如果是至少可能那些穿了保护措施的人可能通常更有责任或者更有安全意识。那些穿了保护设备的人可能更不可能去引起事故通过粗心或者危险的行为。它可能,事实上,是自然的原因和责任感使他们远离急诊室比那些设备自己来说。而且,上述数据是基于全部的那些在街上和停车场上滑冰的人,那里相对危险。人们通常更具有安全意识(因此倾向于带装备)可能选择滑冰在一个更安全的地方如公园或者后院。

这个数据也没有说出受伤的严重性的差别。结论是安全的设备阻止严重的受伤暗示了它被假定人们到急诊室仅仅是严重的受伤。这当然不是。而且,给的滑冰是一个娱乐活动可能主要地涉及晚上和周末(当医生办公室关门的时候),滑冰的人受了轻伤的可能特别地喜欢急诊室治疗。

最后,绝对没有证据提供高质量的保护设备是更有效的比其他设备来说。例如,一个简单的白色的衬衫可能提供同样的保护效果像一个更高质量的,更贵的,衬衫被设计仅仅为了滑冰。在滑冰者被鼓足勇气去调查设备,一个更完全的理解关于好处,由个体提供的,不同种类的设备更有效。

这个辩论关于安全的设备基于急诊室数据可以提供重要的信息和潜在地拯救生命。在结论之前关于数量和调查的种类,那些应该被设备能达到的,然后,一个更完整的理解关于需要什么样的好处。毕竟,一个错误的自信在有效的设备可以仅仅像没有任何设备一样危险。

6分的评论
这个杰出的回复证明了作者的洞察力和分析的能力。介绍,记录了采用话题的谬误回复可以“. . inspire people to over invest financially and psychologically in protective gear”然后,一个完全理解的检查,关于每一个辩论的根错误。明确地,作者暴露了不同的点,暗中破坏了这个辩论:
阻止的和保护的措施不一样
滑冰者带了设备可能更不倾向于发生事故因为他们,本性地,更有责任感和更小心
数据没有阐述受伤的严重性的差距
设备可能不需要是一个高质量的来获益
这个讨论平滑地逻辑地组织,每一个观点彻底地连贯地发展。另外,这个写作节俭,经济,大概没有错误。句子多是多样且复杂,词语是准确和精确的。
总之,这个回复是六分的典范,像分数指导描述的一样。如果作者不这么有雄辩,或者提供少于这样的理由来拒绝辩论,论文也可能得到6分。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-13 22:09:04 |只看该作者
The eleventh day -- Fundamental Course of Writing
Thesis
A thesis statement declares what you believe and what you intend to prove. The thesis statement is typically located at the end of your opening paragraph. An argumentative thesis statement will tell your audience:
your claim or assertion
the reasons/evidence that support this claim
the order in which you will be presenting your reasons and evidence
Questions to ask yourself when writing an argumentative thesis statement:
What is my claim or assertion?
What are the reasons I have to support my claim or assertion?
In what order should I present my reasons?
主题句的dos and dos not
Dos:表明立场,具体,并且中心明确,表明自己的观点和结论,出现在开头段的末尾,同时提示读者作者的行文思路
Dos not:不要说废话,说空话,说大话,不要出现第一人称,不要含糊不清
Specific topic + Attitude/Angle/Argument = Thesis
What you plan to argue + How you plan to argue it = Thesis

Thesis Brainstorming
As you read look for:
Interesting contrasts or comparisons or patterns emerging in the information
Is there something about the topic that surprises you?
Do you encounter ideas that make you wonder why?
Does something an "expert" says make you respond, "no way! That can be right!" or "Yes, absolutely. I agree!"

Topic Sentences and Signposting
Topic sentences reveal the main point of a paragraph. Signposts, as their name suggests, prepare the reader for a change in the argument's direction.
Forms of Topic Sentences
1. Complex sentences.  Topic sentences at the beginning of a paragraph frequently combine with a transition from the previous paragraph.
2. Questions. Questions are by definition a form of inquiry, and thus demand an answer. Good essays strive for this forward momentum.
3. Bridge sentences. Bridge sentences indicate both what came before and what comes next (they "bridge" paragraphs) without the formal trappings of multiple clauses: "But there is a clue to this puzzle."
4. Pivots.

Paragraph
An informative paragraph should tell your readers all they need to know about a single idea, in a logical sequence, without wasting their time with irrelevant detail.
How to write a paragraph
1. use orienting words and phrases
of course / as you know / until now /obviously /normally /previously /everyone is familiar with /remember that
2. let the new amplify the old
3. add explanatory words and phrases
In general, it's a good idea to put in more explanations than you think you need, because your writing is often read by people outside your expected audience.
How to connect sentences
1. connective words that describe relationships
also/ however/ although/ incidentally/ therefore/ besides/ likewise/ thus/ meanwhile/ moreover/ usually/ furthermore/ next/ whatever/ generally/ yet/ accordingly/ nevertheless/ instead/ in contrast/ for example
2. connective words that give a sense of time
first/ secondly/ finally/ now/ once/ when/ ultimately/ eventually/ lastly/ later/ meanwhile/ previously/ then/ soon/ formerly/ sometimes
3. others
to begin with/ on the other hand/ in brief/ in general/ in summary/ more specifically/ instead of/ in addition to/ in other words/ another way to/ for the same reason/ no matter what/ such a/ that's what/ in fact/ what's more/ in the same way/ on the contrary/ conversely/ as a result/ summing up/ if so
4. pronominal adjectives
this/ that/ these/ which/ their/ his/ its/ her
5. useful intensives
especially/ as much as/ even if/ increasingly/ by far/ so...that/ more importantly/ highly/ only/ particularly/ in fact/ very/ significantly/ quite/ such/ most/ unique/ at all/ above all/ indeed/ in any case

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-14 19:37:32 |只看该作者
The twelfth day -- Fundamental Course of Writing
Conciseness
1. Concise words: definitely/ actually/ generally/ individual/ specific/ particular
2. Change phrases into single words
3. Change unnecessary that, who, and which clauses into phrases
4. Avoid overusing expletives at the beginning of sentences
5. Use active rather than passive verbs
6. Avoid overusing noun forms of verbs
7. Reword unnecessary infinitive phrases
8. Replace circumlocutions with direct expressions
9. Omit words that explain the obvious or provide excessive detail
10. Omit repetitive wording

Proofreading for Commas
Compound Sentence Commas
and, nor, but, so, for, or, and yet.

Disruptive Commas
1. Skim your paper, stopping only at the coordinating conjunctions: and, or, nor, but, so, for, or, and yet.
2. Check to see whether there is an independent clause (sentence) on both sides of the conjunction. If so, place a comma before the conjunction. If not, do not place a comma before the conjunction.

Series Commas
1. Skim your paper, stopping at the conjunctions.
2. Check to see if these conjunctions link words, phrases, or clauses written in a series.
3. If so, place commas after each word, phrase, or clause in the series.

I need to rush to classroom to prepare for the final exams...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-15 20:58:15 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-15 21:24 编辑

The Thirteenth day -- Fundamental Course of Writing
Metaphors
Definition: A comparison between two things, based on resemblance or similarity, without using "like" or "as"
1. as verbs
The news that ignited his face snuffed out her smile.
2. as adjectives and adverbs
Her carnivorous pencil carved up Susan's devotion.
3. as prepositional phrases
The doctor inspected the rash with a vulture's eye.
4. as appositives or modifiers
On the sidewalk was yesterday's paper, an ink-stained sponge.

I will try to use these ways to enliven my article~ ho~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-15 21:36:27 |只看该作者
The Thirteenth day -- Argument 143  revised

In this argument, the arguer found that the article which said that many competent workers lost jobs due to downsizing is contradicted with a recent report on the United States economy. The report demonstrates many jobs have been created and lots of people have found new employment. Also, most new jobs are full- time and giving above-average wages than others. However, this argument suffers from several critical fallacies.

First of all, the arguer makes the conclusion only based on a report which has no data and proof. It is said that since 1992 far more jobs have been created than have been eliminated, but the argument does not give the specific numbers. It may be possible that there were only 10 different kinds of jobs and now it has been expanded to 100, whereas the increase would be much less significant if there had been 5 kinds of jobs and now there are only 20. It also did not investigate the increasing rate of the population in the United States, which may mean that there is a larger desire of hunting for a job.

Second, the report on the United States economy says that the majority of people found new employment, but the arguer did not provide any statistic about how long they found the new job. People who found new employment may not be those who lost jobs as a result of downsizing. They may be the new graduates from universities, or those whose family needs help so that the government provides a position for them. Even if those who lost their jobs really got a new job in a short time, they may not like that job at all, just for making living. So, it is possible that it takes years to find a suitable employment.

While all possibilities listed above will not happen, just like the speaker thought, it still lacks evidence to prove that the article is misleading. Although two-thirds of the newly created jobs have been in industries that tend to pay above-average wages, not everyone could get the job. The arguer did not prove that those who lost jobs have the ability to obtain the opportunity to work in such a condition. The argument should make a survey that what kinds of people are enjoying the above-average wages about the two-thirds of the jobs.

In conclusion, the arguer fails to weaken the article by pointing out the report. To strengthen the argument, the arguer would have to provide more evidence that those newly created jobs actually give those people who lost jobs chances to make money and the amount is enough to ensure all the people could have been employed. To better evaluate the argument, we would need more information about what kind of people are getting the above-average wages and how long did those people find a new career. In addition, the arguer could do a social survey about the rate of downsizing to see whether the new created job could meet the desire of people or not.

I'm not sure about the last paragraph, is it too long?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-16 18:47:31 |只看该作者
The fourteenth day --  awintro

GRE分数指导:表达你的观点关于一个问题
6分
一个六分的论文代表了一个有说服力的,表达清楚的复杂性的分析关于一个问题,有技巧地表达意思。
一个典型的论文有这个策略
表达一个有洞察力的观点在这个问题上
发展观点用有说服力的理由和有说服力的例子
维持一个好的观点,组织好的分析,逻辑地连接观点
流利地和准确地表达观点,用有效的词汇和句子的多样化
表达熟悉的对话(如,语法,用法,和机器)标准的写作的英语,但是可能有些小错误

5分
一个五分的论文表达了一个通常地洞察力,发展地好的复杂的问题,传递意思清晰
一个典型的论文有这个策略
表达一个考虑好的观点在这个问题上
发展观点逻辑地有说服力的理由和选择的好的例子
关注与,通常组织好的,恰当地连接观点
表达观点清晰地,用合适的词语和多种句式
熟练的证明用传统的标准写作英语,可以有些小错误

4分
一个4分论文表达一个足够的分析关于这个问题,表达足够地意思
一个典型的论文有这个策略
表达一个清晰的观点关于这个问题
发展这个观点在这个问题上用一个相关的理由和例子
足够地关注和组织好
表达观点用合理的清晰
通常地表达用传统的标准写作英语,可以有些错误

3分
一个3分的论文证明一些足够在分析问题中,表达意思但是明显地有错误
一个典型的论文在这个策略中展现了一个或者更多的下列特性
模糊的或者被限制的表达或发展一个观点在一个问题上
在用相关的理由和例子上有些证明不足
没有集中或者没有组织好
有语言的问题和句子结构的问题导致缺乏清晰
包括偶然的主要的错误或者频繁的错误在语法上,用法,可能干涉意思

2分
一个2分的论文表明严重的不足在分析写作上
一个典型的论文在这个策略上展现了一个或者更多关于下列特征
不清楚或者严重地限制得表达或者发展一个观点关于一个问题
提供很少,几乎没有,相关的理由或者例子
没有集中或者组织混乱
有严重的问题在语言的使用上和句子结构上,频繁地干涉意思
包括严重的错误在语法上,用法,频繁地模糊意思

1分
一个一分的论文表明基本的不足在分析写作技巧上
一个典型的论文在策略上展现了一个或者更多的特征
提供很少几乎没有证据关于能力去分析和理解这个问题
提供很少几乎没有证据关于能力去发展一个组织好的回复
有严重的问题关于语言和句子结构,坚持地干涉意思
包括有说服力的错误在语法上,用法,导致语无伦次

0分
跑题,在一个外国的语言,仅仅复制话题,包括仅仅关键的字符,或者模糊的,空白的,不成话的。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-17 23:11:24 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-17 23:16 编辑

The fifteenth day --  CET 6
今天一个FINAL,然后背了好多单词 争取把六级词汇都搞定 以后AW的时候好多用 做了些听力 周六要考试... 唉
已经加入小组了,但愿能在大家的帮助下一起齐心协力同舟共济功课AW 哈哈

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-18 23:25:44 |只看该作者
The sixteenth day --
就是刚刚读了一遍comments,把不认识的单词都标出来了,感觉还好不是太多不认识的,但今天还没来得及查,明天考完再继续写感想吧..还真是第一次这么长的文章吧,不过好在我坚持下来了~而且多气候问题多少有了些了解~平常消息闭塞看不到新闻...感觉最后一句话最逗了
“And if taxpayers decide that green policies are packed with pork, they will turn against them. ”  packe with pork ~ what does it mean? I will figure out~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-19 11:58:08 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-20 14:16 编辑

The seventeenth day --
COMMENT 1
THE mountain bark beetle is a familiar pest in the forests of British Columbia.
Its population rises and falls unpredictably, destroying clumps树丛 of pinewood as it peaks which then regenerate as the bug recedes后退.
a natural background-noise disturbance打扰 has become a major outbreak.
Or it could be caused by the higher temperatures that now prevail(盛行) in northern areas, allowing beetles to breed more often in summer and survive in greater numbers through the winter.
Its aim was “to achieve stabilisation of greenhouse-gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic 人为的interference with the climate system”.
The Kyoto protocol(外交礼仪), which set about realising those aims, was signed in 1997 and came into force in 2005.
it reckons 认为 those trends are all likely or very likely to have been caused by human activity and will probably continue.
In most of the world the climate changes to date are barely perceptible 感知的or hard to pin钉住 on warming.
Economists argue over the sums (see article), but broadly agree that greenhouse-gas emissions can be curbed控制without flattening the world economy.
Not only is the latest round of negotiations mired使陷于泥坑 in difficulty, but the World Trade Organisation’s task is child’s play compared with climate change.
The benefits of concluding trade deals are certain and accrue增大 in the short term.
The benefits of mitigating 使缓和climate change are uncertain, since scientists are unsure of the scale and consequences of global warming, and will mostly accrue many years hence.
The aspirations are high, but so are the hurdles障碍.
To suggest that much has gone wrong is not to denigrate污蔑,诽谤 the efforts of the many people who have dedicated two decades to this problem.
And if taxpayers decide that green policies are packed with pork, they will turn against them.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-20 00:31:42 |只看该作者
It could be the result of management practices.
it reckons those trends are all likely or very likely to have been caused by human activity and will probably continue.
If so, the glacial retreat could well stop, as it did in the middle of the 20th century after a 100-year retreat.

This is the first time that I have ever read such a long article in English word by word which really takes me a lot of time. Although there is not too much unfamiliar word to me, it is still hard to understand and remember the whole idea. As far I am concerned, I have to practice to use those familiar words more frequent such as outbreak and fluctuate. Only reciting those words will not help us much in writing. I should pay attention to the pronoun used in the article to avoid misusing them in my own. To say more about the main idea of the article, I could say that it made me know about the Copenhagen. Hoping the issue could be resolved with the help of all nations.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-20 15:05:11 |只看该作者
The eighteenth day -- COMMENT 2  Suspended animation  
Good sentences and words
The world art market had already been losing momentum for a while after rising vertiginously since 2003.  这句真生动啊~
At its peak in 2007 it was worth some $65 billion, reckons ClareMcAndrew, founder of Arts Economics, a research firm—double the figurefive years earlier.   这个句式第一次见 谁谁认为~ 后面还说清了谁谁是干嘛的
In the weeks and months that followed Mr Hirst’s sale, spending of anysort became deeply unfashionable, especially in New York, where thebail-out(以优先股发给股东作为红利之行为) of the banks coincided with the loss of thousands of jobs andthe financial demise(终止) of many art-buying investors.
The current downturn in the art market is the worst since the Japanesestopped buying Impressionists at the end of 1989, a move that startedthe most serious contraction(收缩) in the market since the second world war.
What makes this slump(
衰落) different from the last, he says, is that thereare still buyers in the market, whereas in the early 1990s, wheninterest rates were high, there was no demand even though manycollectors wanted to sell.
Rising costs brought trouble to many old-fashioned fine-art dealer emporiums(商业中心).
Many dealers now prefer to take art works on consignment(委托), matchingsellers to buyers for a commission(佣金;委托) rather than investing in stocks ofart.
The other half is generated by private dealers and galleries that are notoriously恶名昭彰的 secretive(隐隐藏藏的).
One thing that differentiates the two auction houses is their ownership structure.
The response of both auction houses to the current slump has beenbroadly similar: staff cuts, unpaid leave, a squeeze(压,榨) on salaries,slashed(减低
) marketing and travel budgets, and an edict(法令) that the glossy(表面光滑的)auction catalogues, which in the boom cost each of them £25m a year toproduce, were no longer to be handed out like chocolate drops.

Famous People
Andy Warhol was an American painter, printmaker, and filmmaker who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art.
Jeff Koons (born January 21, 1955) is an American artist known for his giant reproductions of banal objects such as balloon animals produced in stainless steel with mirror finish surfaces, often brightly colored.

As far as I am concerned, I do not often care about those arts mentioned in the article such as painting or auctions. I only watch some animation at my spare time. But the art market in China is indeed suffering from recession. Having a look at the famous 798 factory in Beijing, many poor artists live there. I have been there for several times, finding those artistic productions are really cute and beautiful which are so expensive that most people could not afford. As the author mentioned, globalization should help it recover. Many foreigners come there and buy many products, which may enliven that factory.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-20 20:35:12 |只看该作者
COMMENT 3  A wary respect

Good sentences and words
wary 小心翼翼的
Britain, then ruler of the waves, was worrying about losing its supremacy to the upstart.   ruler of waves是啥?
President Barack Obama faces a China that is growing richer and stronger while remaining tenaciously 坚持地 authoritarian 独裁主义者.
With America’s economy in tatters 碎片 and China’s still growing fast(albeit not as fast as before last year’s financial crisis), manypoliticians and intellectuals in both China and America feel that thebalance of power is shifting more rapidly in China’s favour.
China has become the world’s biggest lender 出借人 to America through itspurchase of American Treasury securities, which in theory would allowit to wreck 破坏
the American economy.
China may have growing financial muscle, but it still lags far behind as a technological innovator and creator of global brands.
By any measure, China’s power is still dwarfed by America’s.
As Yan Xuetong of Tsinghua University puts it, socialism with Chinesecharacteristics (as the Chinese call their brand of communism) islooking increasingly like capitalism with American characteristics.
But it is a relationship fraught 充满的 with contradictions.
All three will still be grappling with the aftermath 事件的后果 of the global financial crisis.
Protests are on the rise, corruption is rampant, crime is surging.
Its frailties(缺点)—social, political and economic—could eventually imperil 使..陷入危险之中both its own stability and its dealings with the outside world.

My comment
I have to say that I really dislike politics. I hate those sophisticated stuff. So, I learn a little about the related knowledge such as the relationship of countries and the history of our own country. But I read the article carefully. I also watched the video of Obama's speech who is a winner of Nobel Prize for peace. The relationship between China and America seems to be very complicated but according to the passage, it seems that the year of 2012 is more mysterious, for which China, America, and Taiwan (albeit I don't like to separate Taiwan from China) will all hold the presidential election and we all look forward to the prediction of Maya people.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-20 23:39:14 |只看该作者
The eighteenth day -- feeling
今天看了2个comments,补了昨天的,还翻译了3个argument题目。。感觉一天就过去了。总是学会玩会。过去这么快。。怎么办。。还有期末考试没复习呢。。唉

使用道具 举报

RE: 1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时