The 43th Day -- Comment  debate

belligerent 交战的
foolhardy 有勇无谋的
impudent 鲁莽的
regime 政权
compunction 内疚
quell 制止,用武力镇压
prelude 序幕

However, the argument in favor of military action is not about what is preferred but rather about what might be necessary.

Tactically speaking, use of military force in the case of Iran could also backfire.

To be honest, it takes me a long time to read this article for I am notinterested in. Although I hope the world can be peace forever, therealways be issues between any nations. How to solve the issue of Iranand whether the government should bomb Iran's nuclear facilities or notis the main discussion. I believe diplomatists can solve the difficult issue by diplomatic methods.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-18 17:08:48 |只看该作者
The 44th Day -- Comment

deplore 表达悲痛
illiterate
a person unable to read

integrated
make into a whole or make part of a whole

When the National Conference of Christians and Jews asked George Zook what to do about it, he thought at first that the question was "too hot a potato" for his powerful but conglomerate American Council on Education.
为什么在word里被划了绿线

In many state-operated schools, religion is as unmentionable as syphilis was in Victorian parlors.

Schools should accept religion and the churches as a factor of social life, just as much as they do the waterworks.

The committee proposed to teach about religion, but not to teach religion itself, in the schools.

On all sides we see the disintegration of loyalties

My comment
Actually, I am ignorance about religion. If I have the opportunity to contact with someone who believes in one faith, I even don’t know how to respect his belief. So, as I see, the education of religion in schools is of great necessary.
And schools should accept those different people who have a variety of religions so that we can get along with them and have a better communication. As for religion itself, I don’t know which one to believe, the God or the Buddha. It may because I don’t know them well. Once I learn much more about them in their history and achievements, I will accept them.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-19 21:17:50 |只看该作者
The 45th Day -- Comment
plead 诚恳地请求
paltry 无价值的,琐碎的
smear 弄脏,玷污
mandate
counterpart 相对应的、具有相同功能和特点的人或物
sabotage  destroy property or hinder normal operations
baptize  administer baptism to
burlesque  讽刺或滑稽的戏剧
mediocre  moderate to inferior in quality
wary  谨慎的
flourish  繁荣昌盛

Good sentences
Andy Warhol must be spinning in his grave.

If the virtue of the arts is their capacity to inspire economic activity, it’s not clear why they deserve special consideration over, say, restaurants or fashion designers.

Its first grant, for $100,000, went to the American Ballet Theater, a bequest which, according to the New York Herald Tribune, saved that institution from extinction.

In such a competitive, oversupplied environment, is a lack of funding really the primary reason that not every Midwestern dance troupe is thriving?

Now, it exists largely to reinforce the notion that musicals are somehow more inherently suited to nourishing the roots of our culture than sitcom pilots.

My comment
Nowadays, artists are hard to make money for the reason that if you want to hold a performance, you should spend a large amount of money at first. The passage is an introduction of the National Endowment for the Arts in America. As we can see, it helped a lot people in the past for supporting a large number of jobs and creating a great deal of economic activity. However, in such a competitive, oversupplied environment, a lack of funding is indeed a disadvantage, but it should not be the reason that not every Midwestern dance troupe is thriving.

PS 截止目前,写了2篇issue 1篇argue 死期不远,要努力追赶。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-20 14:37:34 |只看该作者
The 46th Day -- Commentprobe 探索
pester  annoy persistently
subordinate   an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
trigger   引发;导致
psychiatry    the branch of medicine dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders
legerdemain  欺骗的手法
manipulate   influence or control shrewdly or deviously
elucidate  阐明;说明

a wish list of techniques needed to fundamentally improve understanding of the way the brain processes information

The advent of what is known as optogenetics has even captured popular attention because of its ability to alter animal behavior—one research group demonstrated how light piped into a mouse’s brain can drive it to turn endlessly in circles.

I have conducted many brain-stimulation treatments in psychiatry that suffered greatly from a lack of precision.

Most compelling, however, are experiments that have demonstrated the relevance of optogenetics to both basic science and medicine.

My comment
The article introduces a way how the brain processes information. While, optogenetics, a new technology, is successful for its ability to alter animal behavior and it provides insight into the numbingly complex circuitry of the mammalian brain. Then, a virus is proved to be succeed in delivering a light-sensitive gene into specific sets of mammalian neurons. So, it is possible to trigger a memory. As researches going on, the possibility becomes bigger to deploy deep-brain electrodes.

还有issue125继续改。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-21 20:31:16 |只看该作者
The 47th DAY --Commentcopper 铜
laser 激光
coil 一圈
deterrent 威慑的

This could transform manufacturing by doing away with the need to use large, heavy presses to make goods ranging from cars to washing machines.

This is a piece of news of new technology about ELECTROMAGNETIC pulses (EMPs). It is used to shape and punch holes through industry's metallic heavyweight--steel. The traditional way, using a heavy press to bend metal, has some disadvantages for the reason that it will leave ragged, sharp tailings at the edges of the holes, which will increase production costs. On the contrary, an electromagnetic punch stamps its hole without tearing the metal. So, there will not be any burrs left behind and the hole will not get blunt. Further, scientists are developing it on the coil.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-22 14:09:17 |只看该作者
The 48th DAY --Comment

fonder  having or displaying warmth or affection
probe  探索 (又出现一次,加深印象)
irreconcilable 不能妥协的
unscrupulous   without scruples or principles
detest   (强烈地)憎恶
assailed   attack someone physically or emotionally
intersect  贯穿
integrity  正直

好句子啊~

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder." or "Out of sight, out of mind."
是不是一个是距离产生美,一个是眼不见,心不烦。。o(╯□╰)o

The truth is individuality and conformity are merely different sides of the same coin. We cannot have one without the other.

Although we were all born equal, we were all born different. Although we all share the same fears, feelings, and fancies, we express them differently. Although there may be little difference between one person and another, that little difference is VERY important.

Nietzsche quote, "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

My comment

I do like this passage. It talks about conformity and individuality, and no one can live without another.

In China, you can see a lot of phenomena that people always catch up with others to do the same things such as taking part in the Party and dressing up the same style. Sometimes, it is called as a trend or even regarded as fashion, which I often pay less attention on. I don't like those fashionable things such as hair styles and popular stars, however, people will reckon that you are not easygoing and you are out, conforming the old too much and strange. On the other hand, I do except some new movies instead, which are hot for most people. I will go to the theater to enjoy 2012, Avatar, and so forth. Sometimes, I would like to watch a movie just at home.

So, I still believe that no one can live without the society. And I agree with the statement that we need to balance conformity with individuality. Also, the author stresses on a spiritual of question. We need to ask more questions about things to avoid the loss. In the mean time, you should ask yourself with the question whether you are living with integrity and practicing individuality by being true to yourself or not. We don't need to pay attention on what others think, just do ourselves.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-23 22:31:14 |只看该作者
The 49th DAY -- Comment

liquidity  资产流动性
bash 猛击
rancor  深仇(长期的怨恨)
devastation  (尤指大面积的)毁灭,破坏
pact  协定
implicit  含蓄的
rein   缰绳;v 控制
subsidy  补助金

Well, this is again an economic article which contains many new words even terms which I have never known before. So, it increases the difficulty in understanding the meaning. Seeing from comments of yours, it seems that most people find it hard to understand with financial things. The passage is talking about the safety of a bank. During the past years, the pact between and the bank has changed a lot. I don't figure out what is the relationship between the policy of the bank and the society. I believe this is too complicated.

难道今天不是应该debate(⊙_⊙)?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-4-22
精华
帖子

AW活动特殊奖 Gemini双子座 GRE梦想之帆 GRE斩浪之魂 荣誉版主 寄托兑换店纪念章

发表于 2010-1-23 22:33:55 |只看该作者
赞一个。。
昨天刚从期末考试的魔爪下脱离。。现在才看到这么认真的帖。。加油。。~
sometimes miracle comes
just for my belief

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-23 22:47:44 |只看该作者
69# 银落

嘿嘿 过奖~   我会努力!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-25 00:19:06 |只看该作者
The 50th DAY

啊,转眼望去,已经50天了~ ↖(^ω^)↗
离机考也不远了~  坚持!
今天的comment还没看多少
先贴上来几个生词吧

complacency   the feeling you have when you are satisfied with yourself
notorious    臭名昭著的
sexism  尤指对女性的)性别歧视,性别偏见

呵呵 今天去economist逛了一下~ 找了找comment~
继续继续~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-25 03:59:04 |只看该作者
我只是想来纪念一下...睡去了...还要早起... 但愿我能爬起来...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-25 16:43:53 |只看该作者
The 51st DAY -- Comment Debate

NEW  Words
complacency   the feeling you have when you are satisfied with yourself
notorious    臭名昭著的
sexism  (尤指对女性的)性别歧视,性别偏见
scrutiny  详细审查
vitriolic  尖酸刻薄的
proposition   something offered for consideration or acceptance
quibble   吹毛求疵的反对意见
shabby   衣衫破烂的;
castrate   to render impotent or deprive of vitality especially by psychological means
overbearing   专横独断的=arrogant
portrayed     to make a picture of
homophobia  对同性恋的憎恶
oppression  (为了产生一致意见的)压迫
plague   使受灾祸
dismantled   to strip of dress or covering : DIVEST
tantamount   (在效果或价值上)与…相等的
perennial   终年永久的=enduring

From the proposer's rebuttal remarks, I learned a lot model of sentences to express perspectives as the followings:
1. This debate is focus on women in the developed world and the general question of whether they are better off now than they have ever been.
2. The question we are here to discuss is whether women in developed countries today are better off than their mothers were.
3. I would not quibble with any of the evidence on women's pay, the struggle for equal pay for equal responsibilities in the workplace between men and women has a long way to run.
4. What do we mean by "never had it so good"?
5. Many working women today will have had an entirely different experience of the workplace from that of their mothers, some of whom may never have held down a full-time job.
6. This brings us to the nub of the debate: do women have a better opportunity today to realize their potential than they did in the past? I think the answer must be a resounding "yes".
7. We can all agree there are still too few women in politics, still too few in the most senior professional and management roles. But we should always take into consideration those women who do not choose this path in life.

From the opposition's rebuttal remarks, I also learned some good sentence.
1. The author/arguer makes several good points about the progress that women have made in the United States and other developed nations, and I appreciate his agreement that there is "still much work to be done". But I take issue with several of his specific arguments as well as his larger theme.
2. The assertion that women in power generally are met with respect, thus they "have nothing left to prove", is a gross overstatement.
3. These assessments might seem slight, but they contribute to women not being taken seriously in the workplace, in all industries and at all levels.

Well, as for me, I think the proposer's rebuttal remarks make me better understand. When I read the opposition's rebuttal remarks, I am really confused on the example that women's fundamental right to abortion. Just at the beginning of the passage, "They are granted a theoretical right to abortion only to see abortion clinics closed down." which I can't understand the meaning...

Looking at the surroundings around me, it is easy to see that women are much excellent than men. Women can often be the first, the second and the third in a class on grades. In addition, women seem more positive in taking part in all kinds of activities, while men often just sit in the dorm, playing computer games. Looking at the society, a growing number of women are working at different workplace to prove that they can do well as the same as men. I don't know why they do so. Some people maybe just enjoy the self-satisfaction. Some people may be willing to struggle with the work to make money. Some people may want to fight for the sexism to prove "Yes, we can!"

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-25 17:07:17 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2010-1-26 00:03 编辑

刚刚手机安了新的UC,第一个上的网站就是这个,来试试能不能发帖哈~

哈哈 很高兴 以上文字是用手机发的 yeah~
今天看了很多噼里啪啦的Issue 思考了很多
但接下来的时间不多了,我是不是该转战高频,天天计时了呢!~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-26 11:46:32 |只看该作者
The 52th Day -- Comment
heaps   a great number or large quantity: LOT
chaotic lives
toil    辛苦工作
obesity    a condition characterized by the excessive accumulation and storage of fat in the body
rack up  : ACHIEVE, GAIN
spadework  work done with a spade
nag  不断找岔、抱怨、责骂而产生烦恼
propaganda  the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
guzzle  习惯性地狂饮 to drink greedily or habitually
trim   (为了美观)修剪  

Americans are more likely to be overweight than to pay federal income tax.

American women were no more likely to be obese in 2008 than they were nearly a decade before. For men, there was a small rise in obesity over the same period, but no change in the past three years. Among children, too, there was no change in obesity rates except among the very heaviest boys, whose numbers increased slightly. Could it be that the American obesity epidemic has reached a plateau?

The startling Republican victory in Massachusetts this week throws Barack Obama’s health reforms up in the air.

True enough, but the poor are disproportionately likely to be overweight.

My comment
It is this passage that makes me realize that the true reason why American are so fat. They are fat is not because they prefer beef or something else as we thought of. In fact, they are lazy so that they only pick up convenient things to eat such as pies and muffin to save time for money. It is no wonder that fast food such as Burger King and KFC is really popular there. But the difference is that American just drive to buy and take it away and we often sit down to eat just in the restaurant. However, if those who overweight or obesity could realize that they spend much more on medical bills than those people of normal weight, I guess they will pay more attention on eating habits. It is not worth to eat junk food every day to make money, and then pay back on medical bills.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-27 16:28:19 |只看该作者
The 53th DAY -- Comment

gusto  an individual or special taste ; enthusiastic and vigorous enjoyment or appreciation
human genome   人类基因组
at long last   adv.  as the end result of a succession or process
herald  预兆
untenable  防守不了的;站不住脚的

Given its history of innovation, the health-care sector has been surprisingly reluctant to embrace information technology (IT).

But now, in fits and starts, medicine is at long last catching up.

Well, I think the convergence of biology and engineering is a pretty good idea. As the passages said, medicine is likely to be transformed by the introduction of electronic health records that can be turned into searchable medical databases. However, we can see that lots of obstacles are just in front of us. If inventors cannot show that they will produce better outcomes and offer value for money, health systems may not want to adopt new technologies. After we deal with all the problems, patients will get the most benefit.

使用道具 举报

RE: 1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时