精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-21 12:21:12 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-21 12:23 编辑

The nineteenth day -- COMMENT  
The long climb
Good sentences and words
Its information office promises nine miles of pristine sand, fine dining for devoted epicureans
享乐主义者 and an atmosphere of laid-back sophistication.
Yet students of economic turmoil 混乱 will find their subject matter conveniently close to hand.
Newport Beach is also the home of Pimco, the biggest bond manager in the world, which handles $840 billion on behalf of pension 养老金 funds,universities and other clients.
After two days of rumination 反刍, Pimco’s laid-back sophisticates concluded that the financial markets may well “revert to mean”, which is a statistician’s way of saying that what comes down must go up.
In the new normal, as defined by Pimco’s CEO, Mohamed El-Erian, growth will be subdued 屈服的 and unemployment will remain high.
“The banking system will be a shadow of its former self,” and the securitisation 证券化 markets, which buy and sell marketable bundles of debt,will presumably be a shadow of a shadow.      什么意思?
They draw inspiration from the work of the late Milton Friedman, who showed that in America deep recessions are generally followed by strong recoveries.

Moreover, if the financial system remains in disrepair, savings will flow haltingly to companies and the cost of capital will rise. Firms will therefore use less of it per unit of output.
Natural disasters also wipe out wealth by destroying buildings,possessions and infrastructure 公共建设, but the economy rarely slows in their aftermath 后果.
This was a protracted 拖延的 slog which, by Mr Koo’s reckoning, did not finish until 2005.
Just over a year ago, the day Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy, the world economy fell off a precipice 悬崖. When you are falling, you do not look up. Only when you hit bottom can you stop and contemplate the cliff you must now climb.
The mobilisation of capital will be fitful as the financial system copes with past mistakes and impending 即将发生的 regulation.

Good paragraphs
He likened the economy to a piece of string stretched taut 绷紧的 on a board. The more forcefully the string is plucked 拉;拔, the more sharply it snaps 折断 back.
Friedman’s piece of string represents the demand side of the economy:the sum of spending by households, firms, foreigners and the government. The rigid board symbolises the supply side. When spendingis strong enough, the economy’s resources are fully employed, allowing it to realise its full potential. As the workforce grows, capitalaccumulates and technology advances, this limit expands over time.
Fisher, again, put it best: “I fancy that over-confidence seldom does any great harm except when, as, and if, it beguiles its victims into debt.” There is no better example of that than American consumers.

My comment
This is an article about the world economic crisis. Since 2008, the  unemployment rate has increased all over the world. In China, there were more than 6 million graduates but many of them could not find a job, not to mention to get a suitable job with their major. All companies in the world were cutting down employees to save more money. According to the author, the world economy is recovering with the effort of all nations. But the normal as we known has been changed so that demand in rich countries will remain weak and emerging economies will not be able to compensate.
In the article, the author used metaphor. He used piece of string which represents the demand side of the economy and the rigid board symbolizes the supply side. And he concluded that if a piece of string stretched taut on a board, the more forcefully the string is plucked, the more sharply it snaps back. The metaphor is so vivid that make me impressive who is lack of the knowledge of economy.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-22 13:20:35 |只看该作者
The twentieth day -- COMMENT  Nearer and nearer
Good words
Senate 参议院The version of the billalready passed by the House of Representatives does contain just such apublic option, one of several reasons why final passage of a reconciledbill is still a way off. Some Democrats hope, however, that a publicoption can be added later on, after the initial bill has gone intoeffect.
redundancy 裁员
Republicans, who havebeen fighting tooth-and-nail to block passage of the bill seem to havegiven up the fight, and have given warning instead that this will be awish that he comes to regret.
The result was a vote onprecisely partisan 党派支持者 lines, with all 40 Republicans opposed, and all 58Democrats plus the two independents who are grouped with them voting infavour.
Since 60 votes is theprecise number needed to avoid a filibuster 妨碍议事通过 , there was no room forerror whatsoever, the reason why the procedural motion had taken solong.
Good sentences
And it makes it illegalfor insurers to refuse people coverage on the basis of pre-existingmedical conditions, as well as putting strict limits on the way thatpremiums are allowed to increase with age.
Past history provides them with evidence to back up that claim.  
My comment
I think this is a political article again about the health-care reform in the United States. It seems that Obama will get a health-care reform bill on Christmas, which republicans reckon it will be a wish for Obama to regret. Finally, the bill has passed by the House of Representatives. However, some Democrats hope that there will be a public option added. In spite of these, difficulties will still exist.
It is too complicated to put any reform into practice for government. There will always be the sound of approval and disapproval.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-23 16:55:24 |只看该作者
The 21th day --  some feelings
I don't know why the world is too complicated. I want to know how could I accept the world with those sophisticate human beings and get along with them. Although it is really significant for one to success, I just can not stand. Even in a small college, people are narrow-minded, what will be like in the society or even the world? Even though, people are trying to use you but when you turn to help to them, they won't give any responses. I want to find a shelter. But one day, I need to step into the society without any shelter, what can I do?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-24 14:49:31 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-25 21:20 编辑

The 21th day -- Comment
Executive pay
New words
executive pay 高管薪酬
shopfloor 车间里
tether 拘束,栓
sanguine 乐观的
mediocre 平凡的
his six-year tenure任期
shareholder 股东
crunch 对冲紧缩
galore 大量的
exacerbate 恶化
scapegoat 替罪羔羊
substantially 大大地

Good sentences
But today it is becoming radioactive, as governments step in to rescue failing companies and ordinary people are forced to tighten their belts.
The moderator's opening remarks
It is not hard to understand this shared outrage 愤怒: executive pay has exploded since the 1980s.
But there after, starting in America and slowly spreading to the rest of the world, the multiples increased exponentially.
These criticisms have been exacerbated by the financial crisis and the desire to find scapegoats.
In fact, the opposite is true and boards increasingly fire them for poor performance.
Strikingly, relative CEO pay is a half of what it was in 2001, a huge decline.
By one estimate, the top three hedge fund managers earned more in 2007 than all 500 S&P 500 CEOs combined.  学习这个比较的句子!
For example, from 2004 to 2008, the inflation-adjusted pay of partners at the top 20 law firms increased by 12% while that of S&P 500 CEOs dropped 12%.   终于找到while表示然而的例句了~
So, while CEOs earn a lot, they are not unique.  这个while我猜是让步..
Panglossian observers will always be able to find some metric 公尺的 to justify any level of pay.
The growing pay of executives has to be balanced against the growingdifficulty of their jobs, particularly as turnover in the boardroomincreases.
My comment
At least, this is the first time I have read the debate about thetopic. Some people reckon that executive pays are so high which is nottethered to their performance. However, others hold the idea that thehighly pay of executives is both a symptom and a cause of the currenteconomic mess. As far as I am concerned, I don't know the specificnumber about the difference between the salary of CEO and the averagesalary among people in China. But CEO really earns a huge amount ofmoney due to his responsibility and the importance of his position sothat he could try his best to maintain a company's business. Therelationship with executive pay and the board is not so clear. All Ilearned is the structure of an argument and some wonderful writings. Iam wondering if I should learn some commercial words in English to better express my thought, not only those GRE words...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-25 22:53:33 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2009-12-25 23:24 编辑

The 22th day -- Comment
Rebuttal statements

First, I have to say I have already been used to reading English passages on computer screen since these days which will definitely have a great influence on TOEFL. Every day I am patient with these profound words and ideas, trying great efforts to understand the main idea and learn the writing. Every topic is away from the area I am familiar with, or may because my horizon is too narrow and know little about the society. But I indeed learned a lot. Now, go on!

CEOs enjoy the unique privilege of being able to appoint the people who decide their pay.She also reiterates (say, state) the point that there are plenty of devices such as golden parachutes that cannot possibly be justified by performance.    原来是这样...
One survey suggests that only 13% of people trust what CEOs say.   可以学习用来说服的句子
I would urge the participants to pay close attention to the wording ofthe motion-particularly the key phrases 'one the whole' and 'deserve'.  没有看懂耶。。
She bases her conclusion on two "outlier 局外人" examples, Angelo Mozillo and Aubrey McClendon, that she calls "anecdotes".
CEOs earn a lot and their stock appreciates when their companiesperform well. CEOs lose large amounts of wealth and their jobs whentheir companies perform poorly.  
In direct contradiction to Ms Minow's conclusion, the financial CEOswere compensated in the end for the quality of their transactions.
All Special Master Kenneth Feinberg can do is ask the company not topay the bonuses and rattle his sabre about the pay he can controlgoing forward, hoping that the threat of clamping down on the 25executivesat each of the covered companies he does have authority overwill be enough of an incentive to force a change.  这个All..can do is 后面可以用原形?
If a private entity had been asked for emergency funds, it is unthinkable that any money would have been advanced without establishingsome control overcompensation.
S&P到底是什么呢...
Athletes, movie stars and recording artists, who have a much greaterrange and far greater elasticity 弹性 in compensation,engage in vigorousarm's length negotiations on pay; their pay is not set by boards theyappoint, as CEOs' is.   
And it is hard for me to understand how anyone could point to the US orUK government authorising excessive pay as a validation of the system. As noted above, the government has repeatedly failed as regulator or asprovider of capital in curbing outrageously destructive executivecompensation.

My comment
I’d happy to say that finally there are not too much new words to me,at least in today's assignment. Those sentences I copied is reallywonderful. I really got some points in this article to support theauthor's opinion which is sound. From the article, it can be seen that CEO actually takes a big burden which connects with his company. If the author is saying truth, that CEO could appoint the people who decide their pay, I think he will appoint a fair man to not only satisfy his employees and make himself get the most benefit.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-26 14:34:18 |只看该作者
The 23th Day -- comment

Happily, there is finally a topic that I am interested in although it is not my major. I am concerned with the topic. Generally, lots of people often use their names combined with their birthdays in different forms which is easy to remember. Only a small number of people will think up a series of strange letters and to remember them as a password. Even they do so, but they will use it for many sites, such as E-mails and QQ number, which is not safe because if one is lost, the others is in the same condition. From the author's opinion, we should set up a password at least 8 symbols or even 12. It can be the first letter of every word in a sentence. But I don't understand what is LastPass. Well, security on the Internet is indeed a hot topic whic need to be considered more, especially in China.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-27 00:18:33 |只看该作者
Yesterday’s notes

New words
abreast 并肩地
jumble 混杂
alphanumeric 字母与数字的
intrude 闯入
toss 扔,掷
encryption 加密
binary 二进制的
mnemonic 有助于记忆的
robust 健壮的
pledge 誓言

Good words
aversion
Indeed, the majority of online users have an understandable aversion to strong, but hard-to-remember, passwords.

Good sentences
This is his list of logons and passwords for all the websites he uses for doing business and staying in touch with the rest of the world.
Unfortunately, the easier a password is to remember, the easier it is for thieves to guess.
The strength of a password depends on its length, complexity and randomness.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-27 20:01:00 |只看该作者
The 24th Day -- Comment
New words
clutter 凌乱
novelty 新奇
sentimental 情感的
lot 拍卖品
porcelain 瓷器
rig 帆装(船桅和风范等的安装模式)
consign 托运
knickknack 小装饰物
shimmer 微微发亮
idyllic 完美无瑕

Good words
His work is, if anything, even more unfashionable-looking than Grimshaw’s. Spencelayh, who died in 1928, liked to paint fussy interiors.
on behalf of
said afterwards
Of the two auctions, Sotheby’s was by far more successful.

Good sentences
Prices today reflect what is happeningout there. People are discounting the coming inflation and buyingquality. They know that inflation has always been the art dealer’sfriend.
Some pieces went for as much as four times what the auction house had predicted.

My comment
I am happy to say that I read thisarticle in a few minutes which prove that my reading speed in Englishhas been improved a lot since I began to read an article every day.WhenI was reading the passage, I ignored those complicated names, but I canknow what the author talked about. It described some pictures and thenstated some auctions being sold from one to another. Auctions have evenbecome stock, which could make money, just like houses which people areeager to buy one, not only for live in, but also for selling it afteryears to make money.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-28 19:58:39 |只看该作者
The 25th Day -- Today's notes
Good words
downturn 经济衰退=recession
renaissance 复兴
mob 聚集
frenzy 狂乱
capitalism 资本主义
turmoil 混乱
intervene 干扰
roam 漫步
evangelist 布道者
satire 讽刺作品
venture 商业
gospel 绝对真理
oversubscribed 供不应求的
guru 教师
stake 赌注
disproportionate 不成比例的
think-tank 智囊团
by no means一点也不
Good sentences
The aspiring entrepreneurs did not justwant to strike it rich; they wanted to play their part in forging a newIndia. Speaker after speaker praised entrepreneurship as a powerfulforce for doing good as well as doing well.
But perspectives have changed in the intervening干扰 decades, and Schumpeter’s entrepreneurs are once again roaming漫步 the globe.
Indeed,the trend is now so well established that it has become the object of satire讽刺作品.
This special report will argue that the entrepreneurial idea has gone mainstream, supported by political leaders on the left as well as on the right, championed by powerful pressure groups, reinforced by a growing infrastructure of universities and venture商业 capitalists and embodied by wildly popular business heroes such as Oprah Winfrey, Richard Branson and India’s software kings. 好长的一个句子啊
The report will also contend竞争 that entrepreneurialism needs to be rethought: in almost all instances it involves not creative destruction but creative creation.
The world’s greatest producer of entrepreneurs continues to be America. The lights may have gone out on Wall Street, but Silicon Valley continues to burn bright. High-flyers from around the world still flock to America’s universities and clamour to work for Google and Microsoft.
这段写的真好啊
For most people the term “entrepreneur” simply means anybody who starts a business, be it a corner shop or a high-tech start up. 后半句什么意思?
The second myth is that most entrepreneurs are just out of short trousers. 这个不明白是啥意思..?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-29 23:38:39 |只看该作者
The 26th Day -- comment  added.
Good words

by no means一点也不
flourish 繁荣昌盛
pharmaceutical 药物的
crook 骗子
dubious 可疑的
incumbent 在职者
advantages as well as drawbacks

Good sentences
Theaspiring entrepreneurs did not just want to strike it rich; they wantedto play their part in forging a new India. Speaker after speakerpraised entrepreneurship as a powerful force for doing good as well asdoing well.

But perspectives have changed in the intervening干扰 decades, and Schumpeter’s entrepreneurs are once again roaming漫步 the globe.

Indeed,the trend is now so well established that it has become the object of satire讽刺作品.

This special report will argue that the entrepreneurial idea has gone mainstream, supported by political leaders on the left as well as on the right, championed by powerful pressure groups, reinforced by a growing infrastructure of universities and
venture
商业 capitalists and embodied by wildly popular business heroes such as Oprah Winfrey, Richard Branson and India’s software kings. 好长的一个句子啊

The report will also contend竞争 that entrepreneurialism needs to be rethought: in almost all instances it involves not creative destruction but creative creation.

The world’s greatest producer of entrepreneurs continues to be America. The lights may have gone out on Wall Street, but Silicon Valley continues to burn bright.
High-flyers from around the world still flock to America’s universities and clamour to work for Google and Microsoft.
这段写的真好啊

Just as importantly, big firms often provide start-ups with their bread and butter.   

Today the ground is far less solid than it was in his day, so theopportunities for entrepreneurs are correspondingly more numerous.

Companies make economic sense when the bureaucratic cost of performingtransactions under one roof is less than the cost of doing the samething through the market.

For most people the term “entrepreneur” simply means anybody who starts a business, be it a corner shop or a high-tech start up. 后半句什么意思?
原来是说..原型应该是 anybody who starts a business, whether it be a corner shop or a high-tech start up.
whether it be... or..  虚拟语气,让步。

The second myth is that most entrepreneurs are just out of short trousers. 这个不明白是啥意思..?
形容他们年轻。

感谢hugesea!

My comment

It is the looongest passage I have ever read... It talked aboutentrepreneurship during a special time which called renaissance.Entrepreneurship was defined as the pursuit of opportunity beyond theresources you currently control. Even if there are a number ofentrepreneurs are just out of short trousers when they success, theaverage boss was 39 when he or she started. Looking at Steven Jobs,what a tortuous way has he walked so that he could achieve the gate ofsucceed. You may say that he is a crook, but how about Bill Gates?Haven't he ever cheated? Actually, they are the same, and it is becausethat Bill Gates is clever and he deceived Jobs that he is richer thanJobs. To sum, to become an entrepreneur is not easy, which needs asophisticated personality and an intelligent brain to devise strategyin the command tent.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2009-12-30 14:04:28 |只看该作者
The 27th day -- Comment
An evolutionary biologist on religion

Good words
human race 人类
sanctity 神圣
tribal 部落的
primordial 最初的
side with 支持
propensity 倾向
prevail 战胜
hymn 赞美诗
monopolize 垄断
divine 上帝的
limpid 清晰的
prose 散文
metaphysical 形而上学的
transcendental 超凡的
provocative 激起争端的
dissident 唱反调
myriad 无数的
有不少红宝词汇。。有的虽然查过了,但还是需要再加强一下印象。。

Good sentences
The “beauty of holiness” in a British private school is a far cry fromthe sort of religion that later came to interest him as a sciencejournalist at Nature magazine and then the New York Times.

In other words, he sides with those who think man’s propensity for religion has some adaptive function.

Groups which practised religion effectively and enjoyed its benefitswere likely to prevail over those which lacked these advantages.

Above all, by promoting moral rules and cementing cohesion, in a waythat makes people ready to sacrifice themselves for the group and todeal ruthlessly with outsiders.

At times, the book stumbles.

My comment
I did not realize that the article is a book review until I readothers' comments. The author seems to be satisfied with the book exceptsomewhere stumbled. The book is about religion, as an adaptivefunction, which gives an explanation of collective ecstasy. AndNicholas Wade also combined biology, social science and religioushistory into the book. However, the author reckons that Nicholas Wadeshould cite more autobiographical reference to Eton. The book could bebetter. As for religion, no matter Muslim or Islam, they are all a kindof faith which is holy.

I really don't have too much to comment on this article...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-1 15:26:38 |只看该作者
The 28th day -- Comment U.S. Had Early Signals of a Terror Plot, Officials Say

New Words
thwart 阻挠(hinder or prevent )
atstake (at risk, in danger of being lost)
overhaul (make repairs, renovations, revisions oradjustments to)
substitute (beinga replacement or substitute for a regular member of a team)
trigger (put in motion or move to act)
preliminary(aminor match preceding the main event)
outflank 胜过
culpability 有罪

Goodsentences
HAD IT
Thegovernment had a variety of information in its possession before the thwartedbombing that would have been a clear warning sign had it been shared amongagencies.

While theinformation did not include a name, officials said it would have been evident hadit been compared with information about Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the23-year-old Nigerian charged with trying to blow up a Northwest Airlines flightto Detroit on Christmas Day.

Inretrospect it now appears clear that had it all been examined together it wouldhave pointed to the pending attack.

Had thiscritical information been shared, it could have been compiled with other intelligenceand a fuller, clearer picture of the suspect would have emerged.

All year long, we’ve asked the question.

Democrats returned fire by accusing the opposition of standing in the way of needed personnel and money while exploiting public fears.

She had meant the system worked in its response to the attempted bombing, not before it happened.

My comment
When I saw the title of the article, I could guess what is going to be told in the passage because I have watched the news of the same theme on TV recently, which helped me a lot in understanding the article. I found that lots of information were not told by news on TV, especially on CCTV. Terrorist attack is horrible, which arouse my concern since 9/11. People died and the building exploded. The more terrible thing is that the terrorist who is insane so that suicide with the airplane. As for this attempted bombing, which escaped the airline security examination, it raise high attention to the global security in every airline flight.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-1 23:31:05 |只看该作者
The 28th DAY
I love this article so much so I decide to paste the whole paragraphs. The word is beautiful and the content is more attractive.

Beauty(节选)
By Scott Russell Sanders

Judging from the scientists I know, including Eva and Ruth, and those whom I've read about, you can't pursue the laws of nature very long without bumping碰撞 into beauty. "I don't know if it's the same beauty you see in the sunset," a friend tells me, "but it feels the same." This friend is a physicist, who has spent a long career deciphering what must be happening in the interior of stars. He recalls for me his thrill令人兴奋的精力 on grasping for the first time Dirac's equations describing quantum mechanics, or those of Einstein describing relativity. "They're so beautiful," he says, "you can see immediately they have to be true. Or at least on the way toward truth." I ask him what makes a theory beautiful, and he replies, "Simplicity, symmetry, elegance, and power."

Why nature should conform to theories we find beautiful is far from obvious. The most incomprehensible thing about the universe, as Einstein said, is that it's comprehensible. How unlikely, that a short-lived biped on a two-bit planet should be able to gauge the speed of light, lay bare the structure of an atom, or calculate the gravitational tug of a black hole. We're a long way from understanding everything, but we do understand a great deal about how nature behaves. Generation after generation, we puzzle out formulas, test them, and find, to an astonishing degree, that nature agrees. An architect draws designs on flimsy轻而薄且不牢固的 paper, and her buildings stand up through earthquakes. We launch a satellite into orbit and use it to bounce messages from continent to continent. The machine on which I write these words embodies hundreds of insights into the workings of the material world, insights that are confirmed by every burst of letters on the screen, and I stare at that screen through lenses that obey the laws of optics first worked out in detail by Isaac Newton.

By discerning patterns in the universe, Newton believed, he was tracing the hand of God. Scientists in our day have largely abandoned the notion of a Creator as an unnecessary hypothesis, or at least an untestable one. While they share Newton's faith that the universe is ruled everywhere by a coherent set of rules, they cannot say, as scientists, how these particular rules came to govern things. You can do science without believing in a divine上帝的 Legislator, but not without believing in laws.

I spent my teenage years scrambling攀登 up the mountain of mathematics. Midway up the slope, however, I staggered蹒跚 to a halt, gasping in the rarefied air, well before I reached the heights where the equations of Einstein and Dirac would have made sense. Nowadays I add, subtract, multiply, and do long division when no calculator is handy, and I can do algebra and geometry and even trigonometry in a pinch, but that is about all that I've kept from the language of numbers. Still, I remember glimpsing patterns in mathematics that seemed as bold and beautiful as a skyful of stars.

I'm never more aware of the limitations of language than when I try to describe beauty. Language can create its own loveliness, of course, but it cannot deliver to us the radiance荣光满面 we apprehend in the world, any more than a photograph can capture the stunning极有魅力的 swiftness迅速 of a hawk or the withering power of a supernova. Eva's wedding album holds only a faint衰弱的 glimmer of the wedding itself. All that pictures or words can do is gesture beyond themselves toward the fleeting glory that stirs our hearts. So I keep gesturing.

"All nature is meant to make us think of paradise," Thomas Merton observed. Because the Creation puts on a nonstop show, beauty is free and inexhaustible, but we need training in order to perceive more than the most obvious kinds. Even fifteen billion years or so after the Big Bang, echoes of that event still linger逗留 in the form of background radiation, only a few degrees above absolute zero. Just so, I believe, the experience of beauty is an echo of the order and power that permeate the universe. To measure background radiation, we need subtle instruments; to measure beauty, we need alert intelligence and our five keen senses.

Anyone with eyes can take delight in a face or a flower. You need training, however, to perceive the beauty in mathematics or physics or chess, in the architecture of a tree, the design of a bird's wing, or the shiver of breath through a flute. For most of human history, the training has come from elders who taught the young how to pay attention. By paying attention, we learn to savor all sorts of patterns, from quantum mechanics to patchwork quilts.

This predilection偏好 brings with it a clear evolutionary advantage, for the ability to recognize patterns helped our ancestors to select mates, find food, avoid predators. But the same advantage would apply to all species, and yet we alone compose symphonies and crossword puzzles, carve stone into statues, map time and space. Have we merely carried our animal need for shrewd精明的 perceptions to an absurd extreme? Or have we stumbled onto a deep congruence between the structure of our minds and the structure of the universe?

I am persuaded the latter is true. I am convinced there's more to beauty than biology, more than cultural convention. It flows around and through us in such abundance, and in such myriad forms, as to exceed by a wide margin any mere evolutionary need. Which is not to say that beauty has nothing to do with survival: I think it has everything to do with survival. Beauty feeds us from the same source that created us. It reminds us of the shaping power that reaches through the flower stem and through our own hands. It restores our faith in the generosity慷慨大方 of nature. By giving us a taste of the kinship between our own small minds and the great Mind of the Cosmos宇宙, beauty reassures使安心 us that we are exactly and wonderfully made for life on this glorious planet, in this magnificent universe. I find in that affinity密切关系 a profound source of meaning and hope. A universe so prodigal挥霍的 of beauty may actually need us to notice and respond, may need our sharp eyes and brimming盈满 hearts and teeming充满 minds, in order to close the circuit of Creation.

My comment

I think these words the author typed on his machine and I read on my screen are the most beautiful words I have ever seen, not only the precise choose of words, but also the main point about beauty. Beauty is at every corner of all over the world and waiting to be discovered by our eyes and hearts. Those physical phenomena that the author described are also beautiful which proves that the physics is from our lives, but more than lives. Sometimes, the limitation of the language and the photographs prevent us from expressing beauty, however, I reckon that our eyes is the best photographer which can take every beautiful scenes you have seen with our minds into memory forever. So, beauty is permanent in our heart.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-2 18:01:54 |只看该作者
The 29th Day -- Comment
Canada's northern goal

New words
frontier 边境
anthem 圣歌
quaint 离奇有趣的
debilitate (make weak)
squabble 争吵
heed 注意
roam 漫步
belated (delayed)
pledge 发誓
fractured 破裂的
benign 慈祥的

Good sentences
Higher temperatures mean less sea ice and more scope for mineral andfossil-fuel exploration, more foreign ships traversing the north, andpotential conflicts with other Arctic states over the seabed, sealanes, and sea and land borders.

DEW line
The Distant Early Warning Line, also known as the DEW Line or EarlyWarning Line, was a system of radar stations in the far northern Arcticregion of Canada, with additional stations along the North Coast andAleutian Islands of Alaska, in addition to the Faroe Islands,Greenland, and Iceland. It was set up to detect incoming Soviet bombersduring the Cold War, a task which quickly became outdated whenintercontinental ballistic missiles became the main delivery system fornuclear weapons.
-- From Wikipedia

On Jan 2nd, 2010, which is a rare symmetric day. In the new year, everyone memorizes what has happened in 2009 and concludes what he has gain and paid. Then he will write down the new year's goal to achieve more in life, study, or career, just like Canada's Northern goal.
Wish we all can achieve our goals with perseverance! :D

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-21
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座

发表于 2010-1-2 23:00:10 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 jinziqi 于 2010-1-2 23:01 编辑

The 29th Day -- Comment
Floating in the Digital Experience

The 24-Hour Movie now streams instead of unspools(没查到这个词...), filling our screens with images that, more and more, have been created algorithmically rather than photographically.

When it was over, people broke into enthusiastic applause and,unusually, many stayed to watch the credits, as if to linger in the movie.
(I did linger in cinema for many times watching the credits or waiting for the name of background music...)

That’s particularly true after a decade when watching movies became an increasingly solitary affair, something between you and your laptop.
(I did enjoy a lot of movies with my cute laptop...)

ferociously (marked by extreme and violent energy)
implications 可能的影响
fervently (with passionate fervor)
radically 根本地
obsession 痴迷
spatially 空间地
theatrical 戏剧的
mutating 变异

I thought it was a passage about Avatar, which I expect to watch in the cinema with the 3-D glasses. I have watched a 3-D movie before named UP, which is also a simple one, but meaningful and touched. But when I finished reading the whole passages, it talked about technology used in making movies. It reminds me of 2012, a disaster movie, spending more than 0.2 billion dollars. Those effects such as the breakup of the ground and the eruption of the volcano seem so real that draw a quantity of people's attention to experience the movie in cinema.

In my point of view, I don't like commercial movie. In contrast, I like those movie telling a meaningful story and help people to see the society clearly. Also, those romantic movies are beautiful which are easy to bring the common feeling among people. So, the technology is not such significant for me. Even those action movies such as Mary and Max and Up are great with simple scenes.

使用道具 举报

RE: 1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
1006G jinziqi的备考日记—— 年轻不拼待何时