帖子

荣誉版主 QQ联合登录 备考先锋 AW活动特殊奖 AW作文修改奖 IBT Smart Virgo处女座 US Applicant Sub luck

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-2-7 15:11:21 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Speculate

Part of speech:vt&vi
English:
1. To believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds: "Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps.".
2. Indulge in speculations.
3. Reflect deeply on a subject; "I mulled over the events of the afternoon"; "philosophers have speculated on the question of God for thousands of years"; "The scientist must stop to observe and start to excogitate".
4. Invest at a risk; "I bought this house not because I want to live in it but to sell it later at a good price, so I am speculating".
Chinese:思索,思考,投机(vi)

Context(This word is utilized to describe):
Barter
Essay
Intention
Mart
Supposition
Thought

Example:

1. Science supports grandmother's advice that oats are good for you-they can help lower cholesterol levels. Scientists speculate oats may accomplish this by slowing the rate at which the intestines absorb carbohydrates.

2. It is remarkable, that persons who speculate the most boldly often conform with the most perfect quietude to the external regulations of society.

3. The aim is to deter use of borrowed SGD to speculate against the exchange rate.

4. You know, that's always interesting in the media and it's fun to speculate on that, you know, there's this differences of opinion and various different leaks and allegiances and who has the ear of the president and all that.

Revitalize

Part of speech:vt
English:
1. Restore strength; "This food revitalized the patient".
2. Give new life or vigor to.
Chinese:使强壮,使恢复生机,复兴

Business
Human
Mark
Society
Strength

Example:

1. The Riyadh Construction Company plans to revitalize the downtown area in Riyadh and is moving ahead with the first phase of the plan at a cost of $500 million.

2. The Government has demonstrated its commitment to improving the condition of children by continuing efforts, in cooperation with donors, to revitalize primary health care by focusing on care for nursing mothers and infants; vaccination campaigns for measles, meningitis, and other illnesses; and health education.

3. By continuing to revitalize our traditional friendships, and by our missions to Peking and to Moscow, we were able to establish the base for a new and more durable pattern of relationships among the nations of the world.

4. The partnership among Federal, State and local governments to revitalize our Nation's communities has been a high priority of my Administration.

Albeit

Part of speech:conj
English:1. Even though; although; notwithstanding.
Chinese:即使,尽管

Compensation

Example:

1. I am not made of stones, But penetrable to your kind entreaties, Albeit against my conscience and my soul.

2. This liberalization is underway, albeit slowly.

3. This is a good, albeit expensive, way to maintain continued visibility in China.

4. The Constitution provides for the inviolability of the home, the right to choose one's place of work and residence, and the freedom and confidentiality of correspondence, and government authorities generally respect these provisions; however, there are regular, albeit not conclusive or systematic, reports of mail, especially foreign mail, being delayed or opened.

Utmost

Part of speech:n
English:The greatest possible degree; "he tried his utmost".
Chinese:极限,最大限度

Example:

1. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

2. And let whoever in the country desires it, swear to obey the orders of the said five and twenty barons for the execution of all the aforesaid matters, and along with them, to molest us to the utmost of his power; and we publicly and freely grant leave to everyone who wishes to swear, and we shall never forbid anyone to swear.

3. DO ONE'S UTMOST TO...(尽其所能的...) = do one's best to...

Part of speech:adj
English:
1. Of the greatest possible degree or extent or intensity;
2. Highest in extent or degree;
3. Comparatives of "far"; most remote in space or time or order;

Chinese:极限的,最大的,最远的

Adversity
Completeness
Exertion
Seclusion Exclusion
Summit
Superiority

Example:

1. Let men tremble to win the hand of woman, unless they win along with it the utmost passion of her heart.

2. Of utmost importance is that HIV prevention policy be based, whenever possible, on scientific information.

3. Furthermore, it is of utmost importance to remain up-to-date on the ever-changing laws and regulations.

Gratuitous

Part of speech:adj
English:
1. Without cause;
2. Costing nothing;
3. Unnecessary and unwarranted;
Chinese:不必要的,免费的

Cheapness
Reasoning
Supposition
Willingness

Example:

1. It is uncommon for the carjackers to engage in gratuitous violence or to commit sexual assault.

2. Prophecy is the most gratuitous form of error.
已有 1 人评分声望 收起 理由
GRE作文版 + 20 ‘’

总评分: 声望 + 20   查看全部投币

平生太湖上,短棹几经过,于今重到何事? 愁比水云多。拟把匣中长剑,换取扁舟一叶,归去老渔蓑。银艾非吾事,丘壑已蹉跎。
脍新鲈,斟美酒,起悲歌:太平生长,岂谓今日识干戈!欲泻三江雪浪,净洗胡尘千里,无为挽天河。回首望霄汉,双泪坠清波。
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-4-17
精华