注册时间
2010-3-16
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-5-27 22:24:54 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 cant0577 于 2010-5-28 08:38 编辑

50"In order to improve the quality of instruction at the college and university level, all faculty should be required to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach."

周五晚11:00 之前交 I50

周六:列高频issue的提纲:

周六晚:9:00-11:00 小组讨论作文和提纲,每个人整理一个提纲 第二天发到小组经验贴里

190~1,61~2,72~3,170~4,168~5, 29~6

~前面是写提纲的题号,~后面是主贴上各位的号码,一个人负责整理一个他对应的提纲

楼上的把自己的I WORD 的形式传给楼下的   
次日下午2:00 前 楼下的把楼上的修改文发给楼上,
               楼上在贴里贴上他人改的作业,
               然后再贴上自改文,根据别人建议修改自己的文

请组员自己在交作业的前一天晚上去占楼。一人占两楼。一楼发自己的作文,和自己的改文。一楼发别人的改文(请注明是改的谁的)。楼下改楼上的,楼上的把自己的稿子和改好的稿子QQ传给楼下的

形式如下

第一楼: 提纲 思路 逻辑树
                  习作
     ···················································
      自己修改的文

第二楼:   楼下帮忙改的文
         指出逻辑,语法上的问题,例子
踮起脚尖,
GRE 非抓到你不可
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-3-16
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2010-5-28 08:38:51 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 cant0577 于 2010-5-28 23:38 编辑

有保留的反对
支持:对于实用性强的专业,老师应该参加非学术的工作,这样能知道那些事社会所需的,更有利于学生的学习

反对:1有些课程本来就是以理想状态为基础的,不需要老师的工作经验。其次高校精英要在研究上花精力,这些更能体现一个学习的质量
         2 为提高教学质量,学校应该更关注学生的意见
    我的意见     应该重点培养学生的批判精神,和创新能力,这些都是创新的基础,有了它学生就会取得自己的成就,教学质量也上来了

TOPIC: ISSUE50 - "In order to improve the quality of instruction at the college and university level, all faculty should be required to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach."
WORDS: 607
TIME: 02:07:26
DATE: 2010-5-28 20:59:40

I fundamentally agree with the speaker's broad claim that faculty should be called for spending time working non-academic areas relevant to their major professions. However, in the term of the purpose of improving the quality of instruction at the college and university level, I hold two points of contentions with speakers involving in the chief methods to enhance the quality of instruction of schools, just as the following discussed.

It tempting to agree with the speaker's assertion when it comes to the duty placed on the colleges and universities, which they serve as the primary tutoring ground for young students. Instruction is also the process of teaching knowledge and developing skills, especially basic skills to survive. Therefore, especially for practical ,it would be greatly helpful to stimulate students' studying enthusiasm, if teachers have applied these skills to practice in real works, for after applicant they know which skills are most required by the markets, or which ability must be obtain in order to be successful in the competitive society nowadays.

However, I take exception with the claim that requires all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world relevant to the courses they teach as the major method to improve the quality of universities and colleges. The first point of my convention with speaker lies that some subjects, such as the theory of basic physics which is established at the idea states, really do not require working experience in non-academic areas. For students, especially freshman, it is more important to lead them to step into the studying of the subjects they major in, rather than to share work experience. Supposing if all faculty share their limited time in works, will they still have energy to strengthen their teaching programs? Furthermore, those elites in the universities and colleges also are placed on the duty to make research and break new ground, and which can obviously present the quality of colleges and universities.

The second point of my convention against to the speaker is that seriously taking advises and compliments from students is one of chief effective ways to know the weakness of instruction and to enhance the quality of instruction at the college and university level. Because students as the groups who directly feel the quality of instruction, they can rise more pertinence advice and the ubiquitous questions. All those problems directly coming from students after being seriously solved may truly improve the quality of schools. On apt illustration of this point involves the students' evaluation to teachers in each end of semester in the Ivy University--Harvard. Students are required to mark the course they elect, according to the teacher's quality of teaching. It is no doubt that it has taken vital effect in its quality of instruction for the world-top university.

Finally analysis, in my opinion, faculty should lay more attention to nourish students, our new generation. One of the key courses is to well develop critical and creative thinking skills which help students gain innovation edge. That is really improvement of instruction.

In sum, we should be circumspect about the speaker's claim, whose idea seems to be inconsiderable. In my observation, for some practical subjects, we strongly support teachers to take part in the non-academic, summarize experience from the processing of work and apply it into teaching. It must take effect in the improvement of quality in a degree. On the other hand, all faculty should not be encouraged to take jobs relevant to their teaching courses, for some of these elites need to spend their energy in research, which may contribute to our society and present the quality of schools.

踮起脚尖,
GRE 非抓到你不可

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-3-16
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2010-5-28 08:39:03 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 cant0577 于 2010-5-30 21:15 编辑

fighting~~
改 elvisxiao

I wonder how the philosopher connects his theory research with practical work; during careful consideration, I find the workshop experience of the philosopher is indeed his theory research. Therefore, although faculty's working outside the academic world for some principles do benefit to improve the teaching quality, not all subjects need to require his professor to work outside.
提出观点,不是所有的科目都需要工作经验
Connecting the actual teaching with the practical work could indeed improve the quality of instruction for some principles, such as engineer, machinery manufacturing, business school and so forth.
As the saying goes, practice is the only test of theory, by working in a corporation, the professor would find the insufficiency in the teaching. Besides, the professor's work experiences
enrich subjects in classroom; more real example will interest also students and make their efforts to principle.

On the other hand, not all faculty should be required to work outside. In fact, for some principle like theoretical physics
呵呵 我也举了这个例子and some mathematical research, it is neither necessary nor possible说话有余地,学习 for researcher in these areas to apply their knowledge to practical work. These sciences seem only to work outside the world in professions relevant to the courses, then I wonder which company they would choose to work. 感觉有点了怪怪的 为什么要用seem?
Maybe ultimately they still return to their offices. Also, the policy will intervene their research  and in turn reduce the teaching quality.

In the final analysis,
with regard to improve the quality of instruction, we can also take other measure apart from sharing workshop experience. Increasing the teaching facilities would improve the efficiency of teaching. Encouraging students to discuss issues can also advance their interests. Thereby, requiring faculty to work outside is not only way to improve the teaching quality.
这里可以多说一些 为什么学生可以提高教育质量啦,怎么体现speaker的观点不是很全面啦,还有什么具体的方法提高教学质量啦

In sum, applying theory knowledge to practice indeed can improve the quality of instruction, however, there are some more practical steps to take, like the free and tolerant academic atmosphere. Thus, I do not completely agree with the speaker's assertion.
踮起脚尖,
GRE 非抓到你不可

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-5-2
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2010-5-29 15:40:29 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 grassfree 于 2010-5-29 22:54 编辑

平衡
1、保守同意:理论与实际相结合,但要分学科
2、反:在外兼职会占用老师科研时间,反而降低教学质量
3、反:提高教学质量的根本在老师对课程的掌握程度以及责任心。

Should all faculty of college and university work outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach, as this statement suggests? In response to this issue, we need to analyze the proposition comprehensively and systematically. In a sense, I agree insofar as they should do so for more practical experience. However, a far more compelling argument can be made that the work they do outside may probably occupied so much time that the faculty can't force on their researches. In my view, both of these two situations are critical to the development of college and university and an all-sided consideration is needed when we make a decision.

First and foremost, there is no denying the fact that practical experience's lacking of some faculty reduce the quality of instruction at college and university level. They teach mechanically according to books rather than relating to the real world. The students may have difficulties when understand some abstract knowledge while teachers can't explain it vividly limited by lacking practical experience. Just as the first chairman of PRC Mao said, practice is the only standard to test truth, without practice, those theories are like no-rote trees.

However, we must pay attention to the disciplines that the faculty teaches as for different disciplines require different extent of practice. Economy, psychology, sociology, and so forth, require faculty spend more time working outside the academic world. For example, psychologist must go outside to meet more people, thus understand human more deeply. Economist would understand the economic rules deeply if he has practiced in the real market. With these practice, they can teach students a more real world and knowledge. On the other hand, science, such as physics, chemistry and math, requires patient, times and insistence rather than working experience. Suppose, if a math professor works outside, then how can he force on his research, which need totally serious and maybe all of your time.

Despite the merits of practice, however, we can’t neglect the extent of quantity about the work. Exorbitant work will indeed harmful. Some faculty may put emphasis on making more money, thus don’t care much about their teaching. This is opposite with the original intent of the speaker.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, what is the essence of the quality of instruction at the college and university? I think it is the faculty’s conscience. The conscientious faculty know whether they need to go out working for improve quality or not.

From the analysis made above, I commit to the optimal approach that we need to seek a balance and take an all-sided consideration and the conscience of the faculty is the most important.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-5-2
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-5-29 15:40:44 |只看该作者

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-8-10
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-5-29 19:58:06 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 四月小薇 于 2010-5-30 23:04 编辑

提纲:
1.专业之外的工作确实是有帮助的。
2.我们不能保证这样的付出是值得的
3.教学不是单方面的。
TOPIC: ISSUE50 - "In order to improve the quality of instruction at the college and university level, all faculty should be required to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach."
WORDS: 538          TIME: 02:33:58          DATE: 2010/5/30 22:58:14
All faculty should be required to spend time working outside the academic  world in professions relevant to the courses they teach so that the quality of instruction at the college and university level can be improved.The speaker  believes so,although I disagree.In my opinion,while the education should be improved all the time,the quality of instruction can't be raised only by forcing faculty to work outside their professional world.
Nowadays,more and more students is unable to find a job,for which they blame the instruction they received.Few university has the proper course through which students can find their career goal and be prepared for a job.Thus to some extent I agree that the faculty should work ouside the academic world so that they can keep up with the world and know what kind of the person the society need most ,and according to which change their courses.Besides,as we all know that the outside can always bring advancements in a field of study becourse an eye from the outside can inspire a fresh opinion-sometime it may be vital for advancement,which can alse improve the quality of instruction.Through the history,all the greatest scientists always have a lot of habbits outside their own professional field,like Albert Einstein who creats the Reletivity theory is good at playing the violin.And the great artist DaVinci,who is also a musician,scientist,architect,inventors and so forth,is well known for his painting Mona Lisa .Above all,working ouside the academic world in professions relevant to the couses the faculty teach may be helpful.
On the other hand,the speaker unnecessarily extends this broad assertion to embrace all the faculty in university and college,while ignoring the field they are specialized.Although the work for outside may be inspiring ,it is highly possible that it will also distract the faculty therefore decreasing the qulity of the instruction they provide to their students.First of all,in some field,advancement requires concentration and dedication and if the faculty was forced to spend time in the work outside of the profession then the time spend on their own field will be decreased thus do harm to the quality of instuction.Secondly,we can not be sure that this work help the faculty improve their courses in that we can't know if this measure is working until it failedThe two points above illustrate that this assertion is unjustifiable.
After all,the quality of instruction can hardly be judged.A course with high quality should be able to prepare students for their future in profession as well as in person,which means the instruction of our life.In order to do that,faculty should also make more communication with students,knowing what bothers students.Apart from the hard work of the faculty,students should also be changed because education is not just about the faculty ,it also need reactions from students.So it is important for students to make some efforts.
In conclusion,the speaker's assertion that all faculty should be required to spend time working outide the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach is unreasonable ,considering the varied reasons why the quality is not satisfied and the proper way to solve the problem.In order to improve the quality of instruction at college and university ,we need to know the disadvantage of the courses and then improve it according to the reason.
GRE是项体力活。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-8-10
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-5-29 19:58:25 |只看该作者
再来个
GRE是项体力活。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-12-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-5-29 21:11:47 |只看该作者

I wonder how the philosopher connects his theory research with practical work; during careful consideration, I find the workshop experience of the philosopher is indeed his theory research. Therefore, although faculty's working outside the academic world for some principles do benefit to improve the teaching quality, not all subjects need to require his professor to work outside.

Connecting the actual teaching with the practical work could indeed improve the quality of instruction for some principles, such as engineer, machinery manufacturing, business school and so forth. As the saying goes, practice is the only test of theory, by working in a corporation, the professor would find the insufficiency in the teaching. Besides,the professor's work experience enrich subjects in classroom; more real example will interest also students and make their efforts to principle.

On the other hand, not all faculty should be required to work outside. In fact, for some principle like theoretical physics and some mathematical research, it is neither necessary nor possible for researcher in these areas to apply their knowledge to practical work. These sciences seem only to work outside the world in professions relevant to the courses, then I wonder which company they would choose to work. Maybe ultimately they still return to their offices. Also, the policy will intervene their research  and in turn reduce the teaching quality.

In the final analysis, with regard to improve the quality of instruction, we can also take other measure apart from sharing workshop experience. Increasing the teaching facilities would improve the efficiency of teaching . Encouraging students to discuss issues can also advance their interests.Thereby, requiring faculty to work outside is not only way to improve the teaching quality.

In sum, applying theory knowledge to practice indeed can improve the quality of instruction, however, there are some more practical steps to take, like the free and tolerant academic atmosphere. Thus, I do not completely agree with the speaker's assertion.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-12-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-5-29 21:17:14 |只看该作者
对issue还是没感觉,不知道怎么办
又是挣扎了好久 写的这篇
感觉比上篇还烂 字数达不到要求 额。。。

使用道具 举报