2015-8-5
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2015-10-22 11:15:26 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
这么晚才算是第一稿吧,不过自己在写的过程中也是改了又改……
个人感觉在研究经历上是不是应该多写一点?目前的篇幅已经接近1000字了……还有在研究经历上的一些用词觉得拿捏不好……很多想说的说不出来。
While I was watching the awarding ceremony of the Pineapple Science Awards, a parody of the US-based Ig Nobel Awards early this year, Huang Jinzi, a Ph.D. candidate from the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at New York University, caught my attention when his research was announced. This award was bestowed to him because of his study of the law of dissolution, wherein he inferred 1,000 licks to finish eating a lollipop that has a diameter of 1 centimeter. Personally, I could not imagine that such a number of licks would be required, and my first thought was to prove its authenticity. Meanwhile, I devoted my time in searching to a topic for a MATLAB course project. My research led to design a program that uses MATLAB to simulate the process of dissolution of a lollipop. Invigorated with my idea, I immediately formed a team and considered fluid mechanics as our primary tool to fulfill the idea. To ensure the success of the project, I revisited my notes from the Fluid Mechanics course I attended a semester ago and I began to realize that this field is what I would pursue for graduate studies.
The course project was a huge success, and the dissolution process was simulated in the manner that I expected, by the Lattice-Boltzmann method. With pleasure and excitement, I consulted my professor in Fluid Mechanics and showed my interest in this area. At the end of that semester, I joined the team of Dr. *** and worked as a research assistant in the program titled “***.” As the only undergraduate student in the group, I built the prototype of the entire experimental system using UG, used PIV, and performed the mathematical analysis of the flow field and velocity profile. Our achievement was significant because such research on internal flow structure of IPS was unprecedented in China. More importantly, I have witnessed the “magic” of fluid mechanics and its application in industries. Infatuated with such magic, I became further determined to understand more mechanisms in the field of fluid mechanics and to become a scientist involved in fluid mechanics research in China, through which the results would be highly useful in various industries.
To achieve my career goals, I look forward to extending my understanding of fluid mechanics, including experimental and numerical simulation. My research interests are centered on multi-phase flow, especially interfacial disturbances in two-phase pipe flows. Additionally, I aim to integrate my knowledge in fluid mechanics with environmental flows, such as the use of wind energy. Ideally after the Ph.D. program, I will possess both strong scientific basis and advanced technical expertise to conduct my own research and then forward my findings for broad applications.
My interest in fluid mechanics was not yet evident in my first two years at ****. My initial motivation for specializing in this field stemmed from the fact that the ME school at ***. When I was a freshman, I contacted Dr.*** and expressed my interest to become a member of his research team. We worked for a year for the program titled “***,” and we had weekly group meetings. My contribution to this project was the literature review of the paper. Moreover, I was tasked to summarize the cutting parameters considered for the orthogonal experiment and to conduct one thirds of the experiments. By performing these tasks, I also learned to operate the lathe. After consulting engineers from the Shanghai Electric Corp. and after conducting mathematical analysis, I successfully summarized the relations between energy consumption and the cutting parameters, obtaining desirable results that could be widely used in mechanical manufacturing and assist research all around the country. With the considerable amount of effort I exerted in the process, I have perfected my experiment skills, such as scheme designing and results evaluation.
Besides my invaluable experiment skills developed during my research, my undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering have equipped me with knowledge that would contribute to my future success in your program. In the last three years, I have formed a solid foundation in mathematics, physics, thermodynamics, and various areas in mechanics. With my painstaking efforts, I managed to rank at the top 20% in my major and received scholarships for three consecutive years. Given my diligent and hard-working nature, I also studied CFD and MATLAB programming, which will subsequently help me fulfill my LBM. My thorough academic preparation is one of my major strengths. In addition, I believe my research experience will benefit me in quickly assimilating concepts and in achieving theoretical competency early in the program.
Considering my interests and capabilities, I believe *** is an ideal place for me to pursue a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering because of three reasons. First, the research program focuses on fluid mechanics, which matches my undergraduate interests and background. Additionally, I am impressed with the rich research culture shown by various collaborations maintained under your program. The research training provided by this institution will contribute immensely to my goal, which is to conduct in-depth research. Finally, I am attracted to the emphasis of the university in teamwork and problem solving. As I am determined to not only conduct scientific research but also apply advanced scientific findings in actual-world cases, these abilities are crucial for my professional success. I believe I will best capitalize my research acumen and past experiences in fluid mechanics at John Hopkins University and subsequently realize my academic and professional goals.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2015-9-16
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2015-10-22 14:28:57 |只看该作者
PHD  PS用处不大

使用道具 举报