发表于 2007-5-17 17:15:21 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
我是机械专业的全奖,TA

漫漫长路终于走完了这最后一步。

等了很久终于等到今天,
   梦了很久终于把梦实现..............

昨天还买了张刘德华叔叔的CD,发现越来越喜欢他的歌了....

废话过会再说,先说一下今天VISA的总体感觉: 不是很水

那个VO看起来也就30多吧,有络腮胡.....有点像LOST里面的JACK???可能是我自己LOST看过了,感觉老美长得都跟JACK差不多

很认真的说,貌似男VO都不SMILE,整个过程他只在最后完美的SMILE了一下.....

我约的是中午11:45的,现在应该是高峰了,人肯定很多的,大家都要有心理准备。也就45左右有人叫排队,遂排队。进去以后VO都不在了,应该是12点到12点半是休息时间,很多人在里面排队交表按指纹。过了12:30,VO陆续归位,开始签。我今天这个VO就是最右边的,我当时看他签一个貌似是F1男,搞了有10分钟还没有搞完,当时我想这个VO一点都不水.......

不知道大家紧张不紧张,我自己感觉一点都不紧张。昨晚1点多上床以后,在那折腾了一两个小时才睡着,但是到了大厅里一点感觉都没有。在等候大厅的时候,主动和身后MM搭话(实在不是我风格),当时也是怕等待得太枯燥无聊。

ME:你是F1吧?
MM:是
ME:哪个U?
MM:清华的(这时已经开始仰视了,我这种烂校的小本,SIGH)
ME:不是,我是说USA哪个U?
MM:MIT
ME:晕厥状...........
后面的对话就此遗忘了.......MIT三个大字在脑海里盘旋不散.......

后来就一直聊天,差点忘记存包,幸亏MM提醒了一下。
WARNING:存包处在第一个武警岗亭的对面。存包步骤:
        1.  在等候大厅入口处,花10RMB买一个牌子
        2.  在存包处,换钥匙,存包
                        3.  钥匙随身携带就好,没有关系

后来进了大厅,就开始漫长的等待了。先是交表DS,I20,中信收据,SEVIS费收据,然后领个牌子,然后就找到你组织,开始等吧。

关于按指纹:这两天蔬菜吃少了,手指头有点掉皮,还担心按指纹不过。结果表明没有任何关系。

我拿的是黑色的牌子。大家一般都喜欢说幸运色啥的,感觉有点煽情.........其实无所谓,就是个心理暗示。不要指望拿某种颜色,有希望就有失望了,而是拿任何一种颜色,都把自己忽悠了,说是对自己有利的。。。。呵呵,黑色我死活没想出来理由啊,就是觉得庄重大方,反正我也不在意这个,今天过得纸条是蓝色的,我最爱。

正前方是两个男VO,好像没有不过的,但问的都挺仔细的,没有啥多水的,但又没有太长时间的。

我们这队一共6个人,但是有2对夫妻,所以就等于我前面有三个。第一对夫妻很年轻,可能F1回来结婚的,问了有10分钟吧。另一对那位老爷爷77岁了,去新泽西看女儿,第三次去了,很快就过了;然后另一个中年人去参加妹妹的什么仪式,也过了。

前两人都是说中文的,暗中窃喜.....

正题这里开始

ME:Nice to meet you, Sir. How are you?
VO: Fine. And you?
ME: I am fine. Thank you.

VO: Why do you want to study in the US?
ME: (做感慨状)Well, I have been thinking about my further study in the future for a long time. There is a center for manufacturing in the University of Kentucky. It has 21 years history of conducting advanced research in manufacturing. It has state-of-art facilities as well as well-known professors. I think it is a very good place for me to carry out my further study in manufacturing.
(这个问题事先准备过,但是回答时候还是跟着自己思路来,没有想着背。看着VO眼睛,做真诚状)

VO: What specific area in manufacturing do you want to study?
ME: Probably machining. The school let us choose an advisor in the first term. There will be meetings with faculties there and visits to laboratories. But I have contacted a professor. He is in the machining program. He is very kind and said he would like to see me in Lexington and discuss the details about research programs.

VO: Do you have any work experience in China?
ME: No. I have joined the University of Geosciences from September, 2003. And I will graduated in the next month.

VO: Do you have any degrees in mechanical engineering?
ME: Yes, I will get my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering in the China University of Geosciences in the coming June.

VO: Give me your transcript.
ME: OK. Do you want me to open it for you?
VO: YES.
ME: Do you want to see my TOEFL and GRE score?
VO: NO

这个时候他就开始狂看我成绩单,而且看的是中文的。一句话都不说,看得相当认真。看得我直发毛.........

忍不住插话:
ME: I have get good scores in the third year when I am studying my major courses. They were all more than 90.

轻微点头,继续看成绩单。我无奈了,豁出去鸟,你爱咋看咋看

估计他看了有一两分钟,抬起头漏出诡异的笑容,第一次见他笑,还是比较亲切,心中暗喜,肯定过了。只见他嘴又动了。。。。。没听见说啥,我WHAT??貌似是这种很粗俗而又直接的话。。。。。。

VO:马克思主义也要学一点的嘛!

我就再次晕厥了。。。。。

蓝条递出

WARNING:I-20他貌似忘记给我了。我走了几步想起来寄托上有人提醒过,问保安,保安说会和护照一起寄给我,也就没去找VO了。觉得刚才那个结局比较完美,不忍心破坏。后来问其他几个F1 ,都拿到了,我试图跑回去要。但是不然进了。。。。。。。。能拿还是拿着吧,虽然一般也不会弄丢.

大家也可以看出,真的不是很水。
但是出来办理自取得时候,身边的人都大呼太水了,说啥什么都没看就过了。。。。。。

总之形势不错吧,即使遇到不水的VO,只要准备充分,肯定PASS。

25问那些,大家做到心中有数吧,像回国计划这些好像都不怎么问了,估计是VO听烦了那些假话了吧。感觉主要问题还是从所学专业入手,比如之前那个问牛顿定律的。大家还是把专业的一些词汇学两个,能给VO说说,应该还是没问题的。

附上我准备得较多的几个问题的回答,还有我的STUDY PLAN(也不知道合不合要求,仿照着写的,也没用上)

CHECKLIST

NO. 1
1.       I-20
2.       DS156, 157, 158
3.       护照
4.       签证费收据
5.       SEVIS费收据
6.       学生证
7.       身份证
8.       户口本和存折

NO. 2
1. AD LETTER
2. OFFER LETTER
3. RESUME
4. 正式TOEFL,GRE成绩
5. PS
6. STUDY PLAN
7. 本科成绩单
8. 在读证明
9. WRITING SAMPLE

NO. 3
1.         UK Center for Manufacturing介绍
2.         Machining Program介绍
3.         Dry-Near-dry项目介绍
4.         淬火油槽数控系统(自己参与过的项目)
5.         Message from the chair
6.         Facts and figures on the department
7.         Prof介绍
8.         Graduate Courses
9.         和系里联系的信件

NO. 4
1.         吉利控股博士后科研工作站待遇
2.         从统计数据看成果
3.         国家科技支撑计划全面启动实施
4.         望京留学人员创业园
5.         创业园区新天地 厚积薄发谱新篇
6.         照片

**********************************************************************************************

Study Plan
I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Kentucky concentrating in manufacturing. It is the delightfulness of my explorations in the last four years academic training in Mechanical Engineering and related part time jobs that leads me to this decision. From the study and work experiences, I have gained plenty of basic knowledge of this discipline as well as certain level of research ability. At the same time, these experiences lead me to a challenging career goal to become an excellent company leader to provide innovative solutions to manufacturing industry in China. The University of Kentucky provides me the best possible opportunity to get myself prepared for this challenge in the future.

Why I want to pursue a Ph.D. in manufacturing?

I have got direct contacts with manufacturing through my part time job in the factories since I graduated from high school. It is these contacts that spur my strong interests in manufacturing. I study the courses in Mechanical Engineering very diligently and get very good scores. However, this is far from enough to face the problems from my part time job, not to say achieving my career goal to become a leader of a research-focused company.

The leading knowledge and the research ability which I can acquire from the Ph.D. study will no doubt give me much solid foundation and also a broader vision. These two characters are what I consider as a must for a leader who wants to be succeeded in future fierce competitions.  

Why I choose University of Kentucky?

There is a UK Center for Manufacturing, whose mission is to enhance the global competitiveness of Kentucky manufacturers through the conduct of quality academic research and the provision of technical assistance and education. The mission is really similar with the mission of my company in the futureto enhance the global competitiveness of China manufacturers through the conduct of quality research and the provision of technical assistance. The center has state-of-the-art facilities as well as outstanding professors. I have studied the websites of it carefully and read some of its publications. The center pays great attention to the application of its researches. I believe it is an excellent place for me to carry out a further study in manufacturing and get me prepared for my precise career goal.

What will I do after graduation?

My long time career goal is to be a leader of a company which provides technical assistance to Chinese manufacturers. After graduation, I will find a research opportunity in a Chinese company. Ideally, I will spend 5~8 years working in this company. This work experience will be of great importance to me for 3 causes:
1.)    I will learn further how to solve practical manufacturing problems thorough innovative and systematic research;
2.)    I will gain a much better understanding of Chinese manufacturers. What are they doing? What problems do they have? What do they want?
3.)    I will learn how a sufficient company is operated. This will be done from what I see from my own work experience and also what I learn from books and seminars on management.

After I have done all of the above, I consider it the time to start my own business. There are 3 causes that I consider China as the best place to start the company:
1.)    China is becoming one of the biggest manufacturing centers of the world. It ranks the fourth, after the US, Japan and German. However, because of its low technology level, China’s labor productivity is only 4% of the US and Japan, 5.5% of German. There is great space for technology advancement.
2.)    China government pays great attention to the development of manufacturing. It is among the 4 areas which are supported by National Key Technology R&D Program. Special funds are given to relative projects associated with manufacturing.
3.)    There are many profiting policies for those who come back and want to start their companies. Up to 60 science parks are designed especially for these companies. In Beijing, Wangjing Science Park is one of them. It will give companies which have a bright future as much as 100,000 special funds. High tech companies will be exempt of income tax, which can be as high as 33%, for the first 3 years; in the 4th~6th year, 7.5%; in the 7th year, 15%. 60 square meters office room is for free in the first year; the second year, 40% rent; the third year, 70% rent. There are even advantages for my kids. They can go to any famous schools belong to Chaoyang District.

In short, I believe my study and research experience in the University of Kentucky, together with the strong market demands and profiting policies in China, will help me greatly to start my own business successfully. I am looking forward to start this exciting journey to my long cherished career goal.

14) What is your plan? What will you do after graduation?

I will specialize in manufacturing and finish my Ph.D study in mechanical engineering in the University of Kentucky in 5 years. This is the first step of my long journey towards my career goal to be excellent leader of a company which devotes itself to enhance the global competitiveness of China manufacturers. With the knowledge and research experience I have gained from my PhD study, I will come back to China and find a research opportunity in a big company. I will work for about 5 years. This is the time I gain more research experience as well as getting to know Chinese market and management of a leading company. Then I will start my own business.

15) Give me three reasons that you will come back to China?

First of all, just as getting my PhD, coming back to China is a necessary step of my career plan. China is now one of the biggest countries in manufacturing, ranking the fourth, after the US, Japan and German. However, the China’s labor productivity is only 4% of the US and Japan, 5.5% of German. Rather than other countries, China manufacturing is in much more need of advanced technologies. What makes it more attracting is that the Chinese market is really very large. The company I have worked for is providing technical assistance to manufacturers around Shanghai. They never worry about have no business to do. Also, China government establishes many policies to encourage the research in manufacturing, for example, National Key Technology R&D Program. Especially, more attractive policies are available for those who want to come back to start their own business, like exempt of income tax for the first 3 years.

Second, I have thought about the value of life for a long time and I consider family to be one of the most valuable things for all my life. I have a big family in China. Every New Year, we have about 20 people around a table. I enjoy that time very much. My parents are really the best in the world. My mother gives me countless cares and my father is my good friend. (There is a very interesting photo here. I think you should see it.)

After getting my PhD, I believe there will be no problem for me to find a decent job in any big cities in China, like Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian, etc. And I will not have any problems about my Hukou. I plan to buy a big house and prepare a room especially for my parents. They may come to live with me at any time they want. I have talked about this with my parents. They can not agree with me more and they are really looking forward to that day. My mother cried for several times because I am living. I won’t be at the table when a family should be getting together. I am very sorry about this. I said to my mother this was only a short departure, which would bring us a much better reunion.

You see that Chinese parents are very different. When kids are young, they will save money for their education. When kids have their jobs, they continue to save money for their wedding, their houses and even cars. They are really too selfless. I told my parents at a very young age that I would like need any of their money to get married or buying a house. But you know, they do not listen to me. One day before the New Year, we went to shopping together. Many clothes had 70% discount. My mother seldom buys new clothes. That day she tried a suit and loved it very much. But when she knew that the suit had no discount, she dropped it and went away. I wish you know how sad I was at that time. I was crying inside my heart. She is my mother. She saves money for me.

Finally, China is really a charming country with too many mysteries. When I was young, I did not understand its beauty. As I am growing up, I gradually fall in love with her. When I was busy preparing for GRE, I read poems of Libai at the breaks. His poems are really excellent. I can feel his feeling through the characters: 举杯邀明月,对影成三人。How lonely he was! After studying late to the night in the classroom, I walked back alone. I looked up and saw a bright moon. Suddenly, I just had the same feeling as Libai.

Besides, I love Chinese philosophy very much, especially 庄子. The world today is somewhat too noisy. 庄子’s words often give me peace in mind. Some of them are very stimulating. For example, one day 庄子和惠子were walking near a pool and there were a lot of fish there. 庄子 said, “How happy those fish are swimming!” 惠子 said,”You were not fish, how do you know that fish are happy?”庄子 said, “You were not me, how do you do that I do not know that fish are happy?” It is really a very interesting conversation. It may have thousands of explanations. My understanding is that in daily life, we judge things on our side too often. Just as another Chinese saying goes “事出必有因”. People have their own reasons to do their things, which may not be understood by others. We should try to think on their side.

Chinese food is also world famous. I love 北京烤鸭 very much! There is thousands of other food that I have not tasted. Also China is a beautiful country with lots of places to go. I have a dream to drive my Jeep to Tibet. I love the film  黄河绝恋 very much and Tibet is one of the purest place in my heart. The blue sky there attracts me greatly.

17) Why do you choose this Univ.?

It is the UK Center for Manufacturing that attracts me greatly. It was born in the same year as I was and now has 21 years history of conducting advanced research in manufacturing. It has
state-of-the-art facilities, including flexible manufacturing systems, various machine tools, CAD/CAM systems and so on, as well as outstanding professors. I believe it will be an excellent place for me to carry out further study in manufacturing.

19) Why do you want to study in USA?
Because I believe The UK Center for Manufacturing is very suitable for me to carry out a further study in manufacturing and the study and research experience there will help me greatly to achieve my career goal.

[ 本帖最后由 忧郁Shaka 于 2007-5-26 01:16 编辑 ]
已有 2 人评分声望 收起 理由
亦昀水绿 + 1 详细!
小籁 + 2 赞!谢谢分享!

总评分: 声望 + 3   查看全部投币

没有什么能够阻挡,
      我对自由的向往......

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间