寄托币
注册时间
2005-2-3
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-9-1 08:26:53 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
The speaker concedes that we live in the age of television and reading is not are important as before, however, from my point of view, I do not agree with the speaker for there are some respects that TV has advantages over reading while in some other respects reading are more effective than learning from TV.

In the first place, TV has some merits that books cannot supply. When we watching TV, what we see are the vivid pictures and what we hear is the true voice of people, this merit is especially obvious in the field of news. As we know, news is to report what has happened latest and give mass the right and objective information at the first time. TV is the most suitable method to broad news because people can gain the direct information and see the whole procedure of the event and then make their own judgment. During this proceed, it is no need to apply more recommendations since facts can tell people everything. Nevertheless, when we reading newspapers and books, although we can obtain some pictures from them and detailed description of the event, there is more or less subjective factor in the report for the writer is a reporter and he or she cannot avoid mixing personal preference in the article.

On the other hand, TV has some instinct defects that deter it from the ideal way of learning. People may find that the TV programs are full of boring and low-level TV plays nowadays and we can never watch a program without the disturbance of the ads. This is partly because TV is a commercial tool, in order to attract their audiences and gain more profits, broadcast companies have to run boring plays and broadcast more ads. As a result, people who want to learn from the TV may find that they can learn little from the TV, what they really gain from it the entertainment, to some extent, spending too much time on watching TV is just a waste of time.

A famous individual once said that "A good book is the best of friends the same today and forever ", it is not difficult for us to realize the importance of reading. Moreover, we never heard anyone had said that TV is the best friend that will benefit for people. In some respects, reading books are better than watching TV. First, books are easy to carry and portable, people can read it everywhere; second, reading a book does not need electricity and batteries, we need nothing to start reading a book; third, which is the most important one, is that book can express the thing which cannot displayed by TV such as some scientific theories, the emotion of the writer, by reading books, we gain a deeper understanding of the writer and form a same response with the author, which has a profound influence on us than just watching TV. That is to say, reading is still the important way for people to learn.

All in all, although watching TV has some merits which reading books cannot supply such as TV provide vivid imagines and voices, books have their own advantages over TV, both of them play an important role in social life and we cancan merely conclude which one is more useful and effective.

[ Last edited by staralways on 2005-9-1 at 10:28 ]
宁为玉碎,不为瓦全
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-7-20
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2005-9-10 18:37:33 |只看该作者
The speaker concedes that we live in the age of television and reading is not are(as) important as before, however, from my point of view, I do not agree with the speaker for there are some respects that TV has advantages over reading while in some other respects reading are more effective than learning from TV. (Learning from either TV or books has their benefits respectively.)(Try to keep succinct!)

In the first place, TV has some merits that books cannot supply(don’t hold). When we watching(watch) TV, what we see are the vivid pictures and what we hear is the true voice of people(the images and voices on it are vivid, straightforward, and accurate), this merit is(DELETE!) especially obvious in the field of(DELETE!) news. As we know, news is to report what has happened latest(lately) and give mass the right and objective information at the first time(? 第一时间? in no time). TV is the most suitable method to broad news because people can gain the direct information and see the whole procedure of the event(can you? I think only in the Movie) and then make their own judgment(this is not in accordance with your view. By the way, I think the papers can also provide you with the ‘right and direct information’ as you eulogized for television). During this proceed, it is no need to apply more recommendations since facts can tell people everything(I think there are commentators working in the TV station, are you gonna fire them all?). Nevertheless, when we reading(the 2nd time for the same mistake!) newspapers and books, although we can obtain some pictures from them and detailed description of the event, there is more or less subjective factor in the report for the writer is a reporter and he or she cannot avoid mixing personal preference in the article.(why do you start criticize the newspapaers? You target should be the books!)

On the other hand, TV has some instinct(I guess you were using the Powerword by Kingsoft for the consulting, don’t you? ‘in-born’ is the phrase you want) defects that deter it from the ideal way of learning. People may find that the TV programs are full of boring and low-level(Chinglish again! Try ‘contemptible’) TV plays nowadays and we can never watch a program without the disturbance of the ads(How can this advertising conduct related to your ‘instinct defect’? Indeed, what is the defect? Can you explicitly illuminate?). This is partly because TV is a commercial tool, in order to attract their audiences and gain more profits, broadcast companies have to run boring plays and broadcast more ads. As a result, people who want to learn from the TV may find that they can learn little from the TV, what they really gain from it (is)the entertainment, to some extent, spending too much time on watching TV is just a waste of time(what?!!!??? I got confused of your lines?).

A famous individual once said that "A good book is the best of friends the same today and forever(I am sure he or she is not a English speaking buddy) ", it is not difficult for us to realize the importance of reading. Moreover, we never heard anyone had said that TV is the best friend that will benefit for people(you never heard it, so you disagree with it? This is ridiculous.). In some respects, reading books are better than watching TV. First, books are easy to carry and portable, people can read it everywhere(are you sure? How about the lexicons?); second, reading a book does not need electricity and batteries(reading book is environmentally friendly), we need nothing to start reading a book; third, which is the most important one(DELETE), is that book can express the thing which cannot displayed by TV such as some scientific theories, the emotion of the writer, by reading books(don't’ misuse the punctuations!), we gain a deeper understanding of the writer and form a same response(and argue) with the author, which has a profound influence on us than just watching TV. That is to say, reading is still the important way for people to learn.

All in all, although watching TV has some merits which reading books cannot supply such as TV provide vivid imagines and voices, books have their own advantages over TV, both of them play an important role in social life and we cancan(cannot) merely conclude which one is more useful and effective.(This conclusion is not insightful.)

I want to say, it is extremely tiring to revise your essay. My suggestion is to memorize some texts from New Concept English, and read more pieces from www.nytimes.com, as well as the Newsweek. If you find them still too hard for you, in www.listeningexpress.com can you find multitudes of reading materials. Follow the instructions there to have the dictation of the special English, in which you could learn how to make full use of the simple words to make up clear and succinct sentences

使用道具 举报

RE: issue38 同主题 (限时) 真诚互拍 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
issue38 同主题 (限时) 真诚互拍