寄托币
注册时间
2009-8-5
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2009-8-5 14:57:43 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览

3The following appeared in a newspaper article about law firms in the city of Megalopolis.

"In Megalopolis, the number of law school graduates who went to work for large, corporate firms declined by 15 percent over the last three years, whereas an increasing number of graduates took jobs at small, general practice firms. Even though large firms usually offer much higher salaries, law school graduates are choosing to work for the smaller firms most likely because they experience greater job satisfaction at smaller firms. In a survey of first-year students at a leading law school, most agreed with the statement that earning a high salary was less important to them than job satisfaction. This finding suggests that the large, corporate firms of Megalopolis will need to offer graduates more benefits and incentives and reduce the number of hours they must work."

In this artical the author recomments that of Megalopolis should offer graduates more benefits and incentives and reduce the number of hours they must work. To Support this suggestion the author points out that the number of, he also cites a series evidence to prove this. However, I find the argument rests on a series of unsubstanciated asummptions, and is therefore unpersuasive as it stands.

Firstly, the author points out that the number of law school graduates went to work for large ,corporate firms declined by 15 percent over the last three years, while the number of the graduates went to small, general practice firms is increasing. This lends no support to his suggestion that large, corporate firms should offer more benefits and incentives and reduce working hours. Without more relevant statistics, I could not draw the conclusion on the declination of graduates went to large,corporate fims lead to the increasing number in small, corporate firms. What’s more, the statistics is about the past three years. It is entirely possible that there are other factors which are result in the declined number of the graduates went to the large,corporate firms. Accordingly, either scenario would provide an alternative explaination for the decreased number of graduates in large,coporate firms.

Even assuming that the decreased number is attributed to the increasing number in small,corporate firms, the author relies on another assumption that graduates choose to work in small firms because they prefer job satisfaction to a high salary. However the examples author cites is lack of persuasion. The author give no information about the job satisfaction. What exactly is job satisfaction? Its definetion might varies from different person, for instance, perhaps for some one high salary and a good working environment is kind of job satisfaction. And further, the author confuses me by cites the survey of first-year students at a leading law school, can first-year students represent graduate students? Enen this point is well-grounded, does a survey in one school represent all the law school graduates in Megalopolis city? Without more information to exclude these posibilities, I can never be persuaded by the claim.

In conclution, to persuade me the recommendation that large,corporate firms in Megalopolis need to offer graduates more benifits and incentives and reduce their working hours, the author is better to provide more information on the number of the graduates, the reason why they prefer to work in small,corporate companies. The author should also provide some compelling information about the survey.

刚开始写,大家狠一点改,没有关系~:)
回应

使用道具 举报

RE: A3(网络通用顺序) [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发