精华
帖子

US Applicant 满2年在任版主 分享之阳 GRE梦想之帆 GRE斩浪之魂 GRE守护之星 AW作文修改奖

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-4-25 10:29:46 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 dandeliontt 于 2011-4-25 10:32 编辑

新东方黄皮 exercise 2 段阅读,题号按照考题顺序~
By the time the American colonists took up arms against Great Britain in order to secure their independence, the institution of Black slavery was deeply entrenched.交代时代背景。时间:美国独立战争时。背景:black slavery was deeply entrenched。历史题材的文章。 But the contradiction文章论述的中心 inherent in this situation was, for many, a source of constant embarrassment. 指出此文论述的中心内容:contradiction。因此搞清楚contradiction的具体内容应该是后文阅读的重要任务“It always appeared a most iniquitous scheme to me,” Abigail Adams wrote her husband in 1774, “to fight ourselves for what we are daily robbing and plundering from those who have as good a right to freedom as we have.” contradiction的具体内容出来了:fight for ourselvesplunder from those 的矛盾。很隐晦,说白了就是,白人在争取自己的自由的同时却限制黑人的自由。
第二段
Many Americans besides Abigail Adams were struck by the inconsistency =contradiction of their stand during the War of Independence, and they were not averse to making moves to emancipate the slaves.美国人对contradiction的态度 Quakers and other religious groups organized antislavery societies, while numerous individuals manumitted their slaves. In fact, within several years of the end of the War of Independence, most of the Eastern states had made provisions for the gradual emancipation of slaves.
第一句是二三句的原因。Quakerindividual的例子是用来证明in fact句的。
到处都是改写和重复, 说白了就是一句话,白人认识到这一矛盾都开始解放奴隶。
Which of the following best states the central idea of the passage?

(A) The War of Independence produced among many Black Americans a heightened consciousness of the inequities in American society.
(B) The War of Independence strengthened the bonds of slavery of many Black Americans while intensifying their desire to be free.
(C) The War of Independence exposed to many Americans the contradiction of slavery in a country seeking its freedom and resulted in efforts to resolve that contradiction.
(D) The War of Independence provoked strong criticisms by many Americans of the institution of slavery, but produced little substantive action against it.
(E) The War of Independence renewed the efforts of many American groups toward achieving Black emancipation.
主旨题……
The passage contains information that would support which of the following statements about the colonies before the War of Independence?

(A) They contained organized antislavery societies.
(B) They allowed individuals to own slaves.
(C) They prohibited religious groups from political action.
(D) They were inconsistent in their legal definitions of slave status.
(E) They encouraged abolitionist societies to expand their influence.
细节题,第二段说numerous individuals manumitted their slaves,说明他们之前是拥有奴隶的
According to the passage, the War of Independence was embarrassing to some Americans for which of the following reasons?

I.
It involved a struggle for many of the same liberties that Americans were denying to others.

II.
It involved a struggle for independence from the very nation that had founded the colonies.

III.
It involved a struggle based on inconsistencies in the participants’ conceptions of freedom.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III
就是ourselvesthose的同义改写
Which of the following statements regarding American society in the years immediately following the War of Independence is best supported by the passage?

(A) The unexpected successes of the antislavery societies led to their gradual demise in the Eastern states.
(B) Some of the newly independent American states had begun to make progress toward abolishing slavery.
(C) Americans like Abigail Adams became disillusioned with the slow progress of emancipation and gradually abandoned the cause.
(D) Emancipated slaves gradually were accepted in the Eastern states as equal members of American society.
(E) The abolition of slavery in many Eastern states was the result of close cooperation between religious groups and free Blacks.
gradual emancipation of slaves的改写就好啦
欢迎各路大仙指导~~
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-4-21
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2011-4-25 10:33:54 |只看该作者